BCM70015 broken or driver issue
Hi,

I just got my BCM70015 from Logic Supply and replaced my old BCM70012 card in my ATV.

Unfortunately, the ATV then didn't recognize the card, when checking dmesg I saw that the card was being not recognized like it should be.

I then installed the new r140 drivers, because before I was still on the r26. But that didn't help either. Kextstat is loaded and fine, but the hardware didn't seem to get recognized. XBMC also said it couldn't load the driver.

So after a couple of tries, re-installs of the hard- and software, I gave up and put my old BCM70012 back in and now it's working again.

But I'm wondering what the problem is. I just got the card, it's brand new and Logic Supply has a good rep, doesn't it? So I doubt they're shipping broken cards. Any hints what I can try to find out, before I return the card?

Randy.
randywaterhouse Wrote:Hi,

I just got my BCM70015 from Logic Supply and replaced my old BCM70012 card in my ATV.

Unfortunately, the ATV then didn't recognize the card, when checking dmesg I saw that the card was being not recognized like it should be.

I then installed the new r140 drivers, because before I was still on the r26. But that didn't help either. Kextstat is loaded and fine, but the hardware didn't seem to get recognized. XBMC also said it couldn't load the driver.

So after a couple of tries, re-installs of the hard- and software, I gave up and put my old BCM70012 back in and now it's working again.

But I'm wondering what the problem is. I just got the card, it's brand new and Logic Supply has a good rep, doesn't it? So I doubt they're shipping broken cards. Any hints what I can try to find out, before I return the card?

Randy.

Come on, where's kextstat output ? dmesg ? r145 is the current stable version. r140 ? that was mid-update so who knows.

You 100 percent sure you removed the r26 driver ?

Logic Supply has a very good rep. If they did not, I would not be recommending them.
Sorry, you're right.

Here's the current dmesg: http://pastebin.com/Znd4kywX

I reinstalled the r26 driver from Launcher, so "kextstat | grep crystalhd" now says:

78 0 0x30725000 0xb000 0xa000 com.broadcom.crystalhd.driver (0.9.26) <5 4 3 2>

Then again, I'm pretty sure it also did after I installed r140, which I used because I found a compiled version and currently have no SVN to checkout the latest myself and compile it.

Any hints on when the new driver is going to be officially released and put up on the Launcher plist?

How do I make sure the r26 is completely removed, before installing the new one?

Thanks,
Randy.
randywaterhouse Wrote:Sorry, you're right.

Here's the current dmesg: http://pastebin.com/Znd4kywX

I reinstalled the r26 driver from Launcher, so "kextstat | grep crystalhd" now says:

78 0 0x30725000 0xb000 0xa000 com.broadcom.crystalhd.driver (0.9.26) <5 4 3 2>

Then again, I'm pretty sure it also did after I installed r140, which I used because I found a compiled version and currently have no SVN to checkout the latest myself and compile it.

Any hints on when the new driver is going to be officially released and put up on the Launcher plist?

How do I make sure the r26 is completely removed, before installing the new one?

Thanks,
Randy.

"clock is moving to 175 with n 35 with vco_mg 2", the new driver does not output this. Which matches what kext stat says, r26 driver.

There are three parts, driver, library and firmware. You find the driver, replace it, find the lib, replace it, find firmware, replace them. Done.

Not 100 percent sure where driver is, find it using

sudo find / -name BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

Lib lives in /usr/lib/

/usr/lib/libcrystalhd.dylib

firmware is also there

/usr/lib/bcm70012fw.bin
/usr/lib/bcm70015fw.bin

When replace these file, you will need to use sudo.
Thanks Davilla, that's what I figured as I manually replaced all of these files already and it didn't work. Then again, it might have been a badly compiled version...I don't know.

Is there an officially released version of kext, driver, firmware for BCM70015 available yet or is it still just possible to get the source via SVN? I don't have any means to compile it myself at the moment, so an ATV build would be helpful...and I remember you said you were planning to release something once you got the final bugs killed...right?

Best,
Randy.
randywaterhouse Wrote:Thanks Davilla, that's what I figured as I manually replaced all of these files already and it didn't work. Then again, it might have been a badly compiled version...I don't know.

Is there an officially released version of kext, driver, firmware for BCM70015 available yet or is it still just possible to get the source via SVN? I don't have any means to compile it myself at the moment, so an ATV build would be helpful...and I remember you said you were planning to release something once you got the final bugs killed...right?

Best,
Randy.

I have one remaining issue then the press starts rolling. I think Andy provided a previous pre-release and he's welcome to do that again. I just don't want it into Launcher downloads quite yet.
Ok, sounds good, I can wait...the BCM70012 works well for now, I just wanted to see how the BCM70015 does in comparison. Thanks for the quick help...as always :-)

Best,
Randy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BCM70015 broken or driver issue0