HTPC with HDMI 1.3 to replace Apple TV
Lightbulb 
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new Nettop/HTPC with HDMI 1.3 so I can enjoy the sound in HD.

Tell me if I'm wrong but on the Apple TV they used HDMI 1.2 and based on the HDMI Version comparison found here only the version 1.3 and 1.4 support the Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD Master Audio.

At the moment I can watch movies on 1080p/720p which is absolutely great but the sound is still not what I expect.

My config:

Apple TV (160Gb) with Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder
ONKYO TX-SR308
LG 37LD40

I was looking at the new Shuttle XS35GT and they clearly state "Digital HDMI v1.3 output" but for the other brands they usually don't bother telling the version used.

If you could point me in the right direction on this one that would be much appreciated Smile

Cheers,
Nick
One problem you are gonna run into right now (I can tell you from experience) is the fact that only VERY certain hardware can bitstream DTS HD and Dolby True HD, and only very certain software can then actually do that bitstreaming (and XBMC is NOT one of those pieces of software).

But you can still enjoy HD audio in XBMC, it just has to be sent as 8 channel PCM to the receiver (basically the XBMC box decodes the audio instead of the receiver doing it). Any ION box can do this.

As far as Bitstreaming of HD codecs goes, I think that is the lamest and most overrated checkbox in Home Theaterland right now. Since we are talking about lossless audio one way or the other, why does it matter where the sound is decoded? It doesn't.

The only point of HD audio bitstreaming is that it provides a protected path for HD audio so that the media overlords can sleep better at night. I personally really hate DRM, so I HATE HD Audio Codecs and bitstreaming. Seriously all DTS HD and Dolby True HD is FLAC/WAV that is blessed by the same jerks that have gone out of their way to make ripping Blu Rays hard. I laugh at their damn bitstreaming protected path, just as I laugh at HDCP.

Personally, I just decode all HD audio right when I rip the Blu Ray. This saves me tons of space (as multi-channel FLAC is king of lossless codecs), and allows me to use the superior mkv container over the m2ts junk.

The only point in killing yourself to get bitstreaming HD audio is if you have a $2000 AV receiver that does some sort of crazy post processing to those codecs. Most receivers don't- they treat 8 channel PCM the same as DTS HD and Dolby True HD. In fact a lot of older Blu Rays only had LCPM audio, it is only recently with media companies going overboard with DRM do things like the super proprietary DTS HD show up on every new disk.

I HATE DRM, and I hate wasting storage space that I don't have to, so I really dislike the notion that bitstreaming HD audio is some sort "superior" setup for Blu Ray playback. I promise I get the same audio experience that the person killing themselves to bitstream HD audio gets with my multichannel FLAC passed via PCM to the receiver. HD Audio bitstreaming is more about getting the warm and fuzzys in the stomach about seeing the DTS HD light on the receiver light up over some difference your ears can actually hear....

If you want bitstreaming HD audio, that is why these get sold:

http://duneplayer.com/shop/

Hey Hey Poofyhairguy,

Thanks a lot for that long reply Smile

You don't like DRMs, and nobody does (agreed) but just to make sure I follow you on this ... you just think:

A) - The overall HD sound is overrated?
B) - Or you think it's just a waste of time and money to decode the stream on your actual HTPC instead of sending it to the amp for it to decode the stream?

I'm not quite sure about what you said ... sorry Eek

If it's option B (which I'm happy with) surely I would need HDMI 1.3 to send the HD audio to my amp, no? so back to my initial question, what do you need to watch videos with HD audio on?

Excuse me if it sounds rather silly but I just want to make sure I understand the process and don't miss the obvious.

Thanks again for your quick reply ...
I think you need to give him an option © - none of the above Smile

I think the simple breakdown is you transcode your lossless DTSHD or TrueHD tracks to lossless FLAC during the ripping process - which should leave you with the exact same quality audio. XBMC then decodes the FLAC and sends it out as LPCM over HDMI.

You should not require 1.3a to do this:
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx?c=11#16
Thanks for the quick reply MisterPink.

Am I right to believe that it's already the case when watching an MKV movie?
"an MKV movie" usually has the DTS core audio track embedded
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thx Hannes The Hun

So I'm all good I guess Nod

Thank you guys for your help on this, I've learned from your replies.

Cheers,
NixNix
Yeah sorry. That is like my super rant about HD audio. All I was saying is that HD audio bitstreaming (aka "decoding at the receiver") is overrated DRM garbage.....

Okey Dokey, thanks for the reply Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC with HDMI 1.3 to replace Apple TV0