[MAC]Crackly audio after pausing
I am on 10.6.3 using analog surround sound.
My sound is configured through an Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup,
which i select as my Audio output device in
XBMC > Settings > System > Audio output

I am using an XBMC Dharma nightly (10.05.pre SVN-32660) which is the latest nightly at the time of posting.
The problem has existed (i think) throughout all the nightlies since Camelot.

The problem only occurs after a video is paused and then played.
It also only occurs when i have a different audio device selected as my sound output device in Audio MIDI Setup from the Audio output device selected in XBMC.

In videos with surround sound it gives me a horrible buzzing crackly audio sound.
Here is my full debug log when reproducing the problem in surround
In video files with only stereo (or if surround is mixed down to stereo) the audio stops completely.
Here is my full debug log when reproducing the problem in stereo

The problem is not just confined to surround sound, if someone one with two avaliable stereo audio outputs has one selected in System Preferences or Audio MIDI Setup and another selected in XBMC, they will get audio disappearing after a video is paused and then played.

I have two current workarounds.

1) The immediate workaround
Is to seek forward (right arrow key) and seek back (left arrow key), as seeking seems to not be affected, only playing after pausing a video.

2) The longer workaround
I can go into Audio MIDI Setup, right click on my aggregate device and click Use this device for sound output.
I can also select my aggregate device in System Pregferences.
However this means that if i want to watch surround sound films, i lose hotkey control over my front speakers, which i use for my everyday computer use. (like iTunes)

I believe that Plex circumvents this problem, or similiar problems by providing an option to on start up switch the global Audio output device to match the application's selected Audio output device.
Its named "Link System Output Device".

A quick fix that wouldnt deal with the underlying code problem, but never-the-less be acceptable to users would be to provide a "Link System Output Device" option in XBMC's audio settings window, but i would be just as happy if the underlying code was fixed.

Im posting this because i believe youre all trying to bugsquash for the Dharma stable release.
Thanks for this great piece of community driven software.

UPDATE/EDIT 11/August/2010:
I updated to the latest Dharma nightly build (r32693). The problem has changed, so i assume the team is dealing with this problem during the bugsquashing process for Dharma stable. Now crackly audio is gone, but the audio disappears and the video slows down to a constant stuttery rate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC]Crackly audio after pausing0