Best way to RIP DVDs?
I just need someone to clarify for me:

What is *THE* method for ripping your physical disks to XBMC? I am very noo to all this HTPC stuff, and I have not yet installed XBMC, so please clarify for me:

Can I rip DVDs to ISO and have all the metadata indexed by XBMC? Like a library of ISO images that behave exactly like optical disks and are displayed all fancy and pretty with cover images and full movie metadata? And then I can just burn my ISOs to optical disk whenever I want a physical copy?

Or is there a better way to rip? Handbrake? H.264? Obviously less storage overhead with this method. Will this give the same metadata capabilities? Is it better than ISO, and for what reasons? Smoother playback?

Other options?

If y'all can set me straight on DVD ripping options, pros/cons of each, and suggest tools and steps to achieving the best experience with my DVD collection in XBMC, that'd be swell. Thanks.
Yes, after you rip into either iso images or mp4 files, xbmc will pull the meta data from the internet for you. Iso images are really big and with the latest versions of handbrake you can achieve virtually the same quality with h.264. Xbmc will treat iso files and mp4 files the same so no problems there. You might want to get the latest version of handbrake in the testing section because it will have features that the latest stable version does not. Hopefully this helps.
XBMC handles iso format really well and you will get the menus. I use AnyDVD to rip my DVDs. I like this option the best but it does take a lot of room to do 1 to 1 copies. Figure on around 8 gigs per disc average.

But if you want you can use Handbrake or the numerous other alternatives to rip just the movie out.

Both options can be managed with Ember Media Manager or Media Companion. But they will not be able to gather metadata on the iso, and you won't be able to extract extra frames with an iso. But you can still scrape the poster, fanart and movie information with the iso.

To be honest I don't think it's a big deal, I have a mix of files and I don't see the big deal with not having extra frames or metadata on some of the movies. And I figure one day the media manager programs will be able to get the information out of the iso, just be patient. It's just the beginning of emulation, there was a time when you couldn't use rars and zips for your game files.
Thank you. I was for some reason thinking that metadata came from the files themselves - I did not put it together that it comes from the Internet. Duh.

I'm using linux. I am familiar with Handbrake. Based on your comments, I think I will use Handbrake to rip most of my DVDs to H.264, and then for the really "special" discs I will rip to ISO to preserve the full DVD disc experience, and to have the ability to just burn that ISO to disc whenever I want a complete replica backup.

Thanks for your clarifications.

Lunk
Lunk Rat Wrote:Thank you. I was for some reason thinking that metadata came from the files themselves - I did not put it together that it comes from the Internet. Duh.

You are right meta data is your media properties codec, audio, resolution etc this is extracted from your media

Movie information plot, year, title is from external sources IMDb, TMDb etc
Noob here,

I am planning on installing XBMC 10.1 Live on the hard drive of a dedicated PC.
Can XBMC rip my DVD's to an ISO or do I have to do that on my Linux PC?

Thanks,

Kelley
Kelley_Green Wrote:Noob here,

I am planning on installing XBMC 10.1 Live on the hard drive of a dedicated PC.
Can XBMC rip my DVD's to an ISO or do I have to do that on my Linux PC?

Thanks,

Kelley
On your Linux PC. I use Handbrake to rip the DVDs I own and convert them to .mkv.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
MidnightWatcher Wrote:On your Linux PC. I use Handbrake to rip the DVDs I own and convert them to .mkv.

Thanks,

Are mkv's compressed or the same size as ISO's?

I tried Brasereo to create a DVD iso but it didn't know what to name them. Does Handbreak?

I too own my own DVD's. A few hundred of them, which is why I want to do this.
They are compressed, and are the movies only, not the extras nor the menus. Typical file size for me is between 1.2 and 1.9 GB per movie.

Handbrake does not create ISOs.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Makemkv.com has free beta sw to rip to mkv both SD and BD that run on linux as well as XBMC. Also, Swiss Army Knife addon rips both as well as uses handbrake for handhelds. Search the plugin/script addons forum here. The nice thing about swiss army knife addon is the rips are done in the background to ISO default, so you can use xbmc to do other things while it is ripping.

All meta data is kept in tact.
the answer to all these questions is found on NR 9 on the FAQ
MidnightWatcher Wrote:They are compressed, and are the movies only, not the extras nor the menus. Typical file size for me is between 1.2 and 1.9 GB per movie.

Handbrake does not create ISOs.

I gave it a try and it worked great but it's not what I am looking for.
I am looking for a program that will copy everything from the DVD's including chapters and special features, so it looks like ISO's are the way to go.
speed32219 Wrote:Makemkv.com has free beta sw to rip to mkv both SD and BD that run on linux as well as XBMC. Also, Swiss Army Knife addon rips both as well as uses handbrake for handhelds. Search the plugin/script addons forum here. The nice thing about swiss army knife addon is the rips are done in the background to ISO default, so you can use xbmc to do other things while it is ripping.

All meta data is kept in tact.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
X3lectric Wrote:the answer to all these questions is found on NR 9 on the FAQ

Just so I undertand.

9. Don't ask how to get or copy/backup games, videos, music, (even if you own the original)!

xbmc and the forums don't want users to copy their purchased DVD's to xbmc?

If that is what it's saying I'll stop now, (though I don't understand it since it is legal to do so).
Lunk Rat Wrote:I just need someone to clarify for me:

What is *THE* method for ripping your physical disks to XBMC? I am very noo to all this HTPC stuff, and I have not yet installed XBMC, so please clarify for me:

Can I rip DVDs to ISO and have all the metadata indexed by XBMC? Like a library of ISO images that behave exactly like optical disks and are displayed all fancy and pretty with cover images and full movie metadata? And then I can just burn my ISOs to optical disk whenever I want a physical copy?

Or is there a better way to rip? Handbrake? H.264? Obviously less storage overhead with this method. Will this give the same metadata capabilities? Is it better than ISO, and for what reasons? Smoother playback?

Other options?

If y'all can set me straight on DVD ripping options, pros/cons of each, and suggest tools and steps to achieving the best experience with my DVD collection in XBMC, that'd be swell. Thanks.

if you want 1-1 copies of a dvd so that it works like some sort of dvd jukbox (menus and all -- space is not an issue):
Code:
ddrescue --no-split --verbose --block-size=2048 /dev/dvd moo-vee.iso
if you want to encode the tracks to save some space i recommend tweaking all of the options for xvidenc or x264enc. here is my saved script for the options i like:
Code:
[schneidz@hyper ~]$ cat bin/xvidenc-ac3-mkv.ksh
#!/bin/bash
################### START OF COMMANDS ###################

dvd=`lsdvd $1 | head -n 1 | awk '{print tolower($3)}' | sed s/_/-/g`
#mkdir /home/xbmc/win/stuff/clips/$dvd
titles=`lsdvd $1 | grep ^Title: | cut -b 8-9 | tail -n 1`
i=1
while [ $i -le $titles ]
do

/usr/bin/mencoder "dvd://$i" -dvd-device $1 -o /dev/null -vc mpeg12 -vf pp=al:c,softskip,unsharp=l5x5:.25:c5x5:.25,harddup -aid 128 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -a52drc 1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:turbo:me_quality=6:vhq=4:threads=2:max_bframes=2:bvhq=1:nopacked:quant_type=h263:noqpel:nogmc:trellis:nointerlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:nolumi_mask:rc_reaction_delay_factor=0:rc_averaging_period=100:closed_gop:autoaspect -passlogfile "$dvd-$i.log"

/usr/bin/mencoder "dvd://$i" -dvd-device $1 -o "$dvd-".avi -vc mpeg12 -vf pp=al:c,softskip,unsharp=l5x5:.25:c5x5:.25,harddup -aid 128 -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -a52drc 1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=2000:me_quality=6:vhq=4:threads=2:max_bframes=2:bvhq=1:nopacked:quant_type=h263:noqpel:nogmc:trellis:nointerlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:nolumi_mask:rc_reaction_delay_factor=0:rc_averaging_period=100:closed_gop:autoaspect -passlogfile "$dvd-$i.log"

sleep 2

/usr/bin/mkvmerge   --title "$dvd-$title-ac3" --track-name 0:"$dvd-$title-ac3" --language 1:en --track-name 1:"AC3 5.1" "$dvd-.avi"      -o "$dvd-.mkv"
sleep 2

i=`expr $i + 1`
done
#################### END OF COMMANDS ####################

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to RIP DVDs?0