Best way to RIP DVDs?
Kelley_Green Wrote:(though I don't understand it since it is legal to do so).

The crux of the matter is that in the U.S. the DMCA prohibits circumvention of digital protection schemes such as DVD encryption. Also prohibited is the distribution of tools made specifically for circumventing protection mechanisms. Just telling someone how to do it is the same as distributing the tools. While I have yet to see anybody sued or arrested for ripping their dvd collection, the folks who run the show here want to avoid unnecessary hassle.
HTPC Rig:
Acer Revo 1600 /Tira2 IR rcvr
NAS: UNRAID
If you ask me what is the best way, fastest way and easiest way to rip DVD, I have to say converting it to iso with AnyDVD. If you want to re-encode it to smaller mkv file, DVDFab is the friendliest and fastest video converter on the market. For freeware, HandBrake is the best and RiBot264 is not far behind. If you want to know exactly what audio codec is included in your mkv file, you can use MediaInfo to verify it. Or you can always use TSMuxer to add certain audio codec from the original movie and convert it to m2ts file.

Here is a simple guide for TSMuxer. You can use it to extract the main movie and audio only. For a DVD movie, it'll take roughly 6 minutes to extract it.

Here is a short instruction:
1. Insert DVD in DVD-ROM
2. Launch TSmuxer
3. Click "add" to add DVD file from DVD-ROM
4. Select VTS_01_1 file
5. Select MPEG-2 for video codec and the first AC3 for audio code, and you can un-select the rest of audio codecs
6. Select m2ts muxing for output
7. Select output folder
8. Click "start muxing"
9. 6 minute later you're done.

It's quick and free!
technojunkie Wrote:The crux of the matter is that in the U.S. the DMCA prohibits circumvention of digital protection schemes such as DVD encryption. While I have yet to see anybody sued or arrested for ripping their dvd collection the folks who run the show here want to avoid unnecessary hassle.

It is legal in the USA under the Fair Use Doctrine to make a backup of what you own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter

"In the noted "321" case, Federal District Judge Susan Illston of the Northern District of California,[5] ruled that the backup copies made with software such as DVD Decrypter are in fact legal but that distribution of the software used to make them is illegal."
bluray Wrote:If you ask me what is the best way, fastest way and easiest way to rip DVD, I have to say converting it to iso with AnyDVD.

AnyDVD looks great! To bad it's for Windows.
technojunkie Wrote:The crux of the matter is that in the U.S. the DMCA prohibits circumvention of digital protection schemes such as DVD encryption. Also prohibited is the distribution of tools made specifically for circumventing protection mechanisms. Just telling someone how to do it is the same as distributing the tools. While I have yet to see anybody sued or arrested for ripping their dvd collection, the folks who run the show here want to avoid unnecessary hassle.

i think there is a provision in the patriot act that if you circumvent any encryption scheme you could be considered a military combatant therefore you don't get any miranda rights (free lawyer, family visits in jail, ...).

i think that technically includes dvd content scrambling system eventhough the 40-bit key can be cracked in about 30 seconds using pencil and paper.
Kelley_Green Wrote:AnyDVD looks great! To bad it's for Windows.

doesnt vlc have a 'convert and save' feature under it's file menu ?

i dont know if it can be scheduled in a script... for anything command line you should play around with the default tools: ffmpeg, transcoder, mencoder (i have a suspicion that vlc uses just a gui wrapper around one of these).
Kelley_Green Wrote:AnyDVD looks great! To bad it's for Windows.

Fairmount (free, Mac only) does the same thing as AnyDVD I think. They (Metakine) also have a good mastering/encoding/conversion program called DVDremaster... as much as I hate to pay for software that program was probably worth it.
jd2157 Wrote:Fairmount does the same thing as AnyDVD I think.

No joy. I use Linux not Mac.
schneidz Wrote:doesnt vlc have a 'convert and save' feature under it's file menu ?

i dont know if it can be scheduled in a script... for anything command line you should play around with the default tools: ffmpeg, transcoder, mencoder (i have a suspicion that vlc uses just a gui wrapper around one of these).

I tried it but it didn't seam to work.
Kelley_Green Wrote:I tried it but it didn't seam to work.

hi, not sure what you are trying to do or what errors you are getting but did you see my previous post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=842...stcount=15

maybe you need to apt-get install some missing software ?
Kelley_Green Wrote:No joy. I use Linux not Mac.

Linux is a great companion OS, like the iPad is a great companion device... but I wouldn't want to try and survive with either by themselves.
schneidz Wrote:hi, not sure what you are trying to do or what errors you are getting but did you see my previous post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=842...stcount=15

maybe you need to apt-get install some missing software ?

For some reason it was caught in a loop.
jd2157 Wrote:Linux is a great companion OS, like the iPad is a great companion device... but I wouldn't want to try and survive with either by themselves.

Tell that to the millions who use Linux as their primary OS.
Did you know that Mac users are using Unix?
Kelley_Green Wrote:Tell that to the millions who use Linux as their primary OS.
Did you know that Mac users are using Unix?

More or less. Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
kizer Wrote:More or less. Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

Yes indeed. A very fine Unix system. Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to RIP DVDs?0