• 21(current)
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I
Hey Guys,

I have been following this post for quite some time now, and have my HTPC built on this mobo. Went thru all the troubles of incompatible ram and high temps when trying to run this completely passive.

I like the way "bradsnw" has posted his findings and am posting mine in the same way.

RAM - Tried various sticks from kingston, elpida, patriot, samsung to Corsair. Corsair 2GB was the one that finally worked. I had 4 Gb Elpida with me from my laptop, so wished to use them so that some money could be saved. But no luck with the older BIOS.BIOS ver 0316 was lucky for me, as i could use the Elpida 4GB ram (2 * 2Gb) and returned the Corsair. Must say i was lucky with the ram as it was not part of the QVL.

CASE - I am using a Cooler Master Elite 100 Mini Itx case. Not the smallest and the prettiest of cases. It has a built in power supply, so its not completely silent, when one in 2-3Ft range of the case. But this case sits in my TV Stand/deck which is like 7-8 Ft away from the couch, so the sound is not a problem at all. It has enough space for 2 * 2.5 Internal HDD or one HDD and a laptop CD/DVD Rom drive. I am using one internal HDD from my old non-working laptop and have a external Blu-Ray Drive from Asus, so have plenty of space in the case for the air flow. There are vents just above the CPU heatsink. There is no pre-built fan in the case. Future plan is to remove the built in PSU and replace the same with a Pico PSU, which is completely silent and devoid of moving parts.

OS - Did a clean install of Windows 7 64-Bit. Installed all the updated drivers, Microsoft updates and the latest version of XBMC for windows. All my media is connected to this beast with a USB 3.0 powered HDD and i have hooked this beast to my Sony Bravia XBR 6 42" LCD via HDMI. Both Audio and Video is crisp and clear. I use W7 Media Center and XBMC for playing my media content and belive me its good...

VIDEO - I play BLu-rays with Power DVD and its just awsome. Did not try any MKV's till date. Hulu, netflix and youtube play HD videos just fine as well with latest flash installed. Initially there was a slight delay in the audio and video sync, but a few settings and its solved now. ION2 is worth the money.

TEMPS - This was one of the toughest things to be satisfied for. Initially when i built my HTPC it was without a fan and the avg idle temps were in the mid 60's© and when playing HD content it used to rise up to late 80's to mid 90's. Luckly for me never went above 100C. Did not like this a bit. Went and got a Silenx 80mm fan for abt $11. I was not hard pressed on a fanless setup, so it was not disappointing. Set the fan on the case vents which were just above the CPU heat sink. Voila.... the idel temps were down by about 30C. Now the the idle temps are in the early 30's and under load are about late 40's. Have not reach 50C after i added the fan. Adding the fan was a huge plus and also this fan is one of the quietest fans i have seen so far.

Just like "bradsnw" would stress on the fact that for this mobo to be cool, make sure the case has enough room for good air flow. Can this mobo be passively cooled.... hmmm well... i have no different answer than most of us have found out to be. One suggestion for the ones who want to use this setup as passively cooled is, make sure the room temperature is cool enough and that also helps to get the CPU and GPU temp down by at least 5C-10C. Just a personal observation.
So far this is my setup that is working pretty good.

mobo -ASUS AT5IONT-I
ram - (2) Kingston KVR1066D3S7/1G
Case - SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B
HD - Cheapest 2.5 sata I can find.

I went with this case because It had a good amount of ventilation and a 120mm fan blowing from the front center to the back. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I figured I wouldn't regret it.

With this ram the computer works no problem.
XBMC Live Beta 2 works with DTS out of the S/PDIF to my receiver.

From 8 feet away I can barely hear the fan in a dead quiet room.

Under the system info the GPU is at 124 f While in the XBMC's menu. I don't know how accurate that info is through XBMC though.

Here are some pictures.

I have read this document, but I'm not sure I understood...

Can I use the "wake on device" to resume the motherboard from S4 power state? Huh
I will be next testing the HDMI audio/video out into my HT Pre/Pro and using the DACs in the Pre/Pro for audio decoding.

Connecting the HMDI through to my TV resulted in No Signal being displayed. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it to work?
In case anyone is curious, i've just made a build using the AT5IONT-I and an OrigenAE M10 case (http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_m10.htm). Build also includes a passive ATI 5450.

Running without fans, i get an idle temp of 58c. Haven't really stressed it to much as it's a htpc only (obviously running XBMC until dxva kicks in!), so the temps haven't really climbed from the idle temp.

Cheers
liquidskin76 Wrote:OrigenAE M10 cases

I hate you.

Smile

I'm putting a 120mm fan on the side of my chassis, gonna look cheap as hell, but fuck it - it'll work!
One thing you guys might be interested in is the power supply. I installed a DC-DC 120W supply with a silent 150W power brick. Works well and is absolutely silent. Enough power to run a couple of HDDs and DVD drive, along with everything it needs to.

I haven't had a problem with the mobo overheating yet, but should that happen, well I'll consider drilling a couple of holes in my case top with a flattish 120cm fan on low speed, just to keep some air moving. It's a low profile case but since it only cost me £14 I'm not going to worry about trashing it.
you can get appropriate memory from mini-itx.com. I've got 4GB of RAM running on this board, no problems.
liquidskin76 Wrote:In case anyone is curious, i've just made a build using the AT5IONT-I and an OrigenAE M10 case (http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_m10.htm). Build also includes a passive ATI 5450.

Running without fans, i get an idle temp of 58c. Haven't really stressed it to much as it's a htpc only (obviously running XBMC until dxva kicks in!), so the temps haven't really climbed from the idle temp.

Cheers

That is, quite possibly, the BEST HTPC case I have ever seen. That is gorgeous and exactly what I have been looking for all this time. Thank you for sharing that!
I have this board and it works great. Thought i wouldn't be able to watch 1080p from youtube etc, but it works fine.
Just one question. What program do you use to see the cpu temp?
john.doe Wrote:Can I use the "wake on device" to resume the motherboard from S4 power state? Huh
Nobody can answer me? Sad
I'm set up with the AT5IONT-I and finally able to boot. (Stupid inaccurate ram QVL and firmware issues)

I installed XBMC live, but I'm unable to get any audio out of my HDMI port.

I overwrote that installation with a complete install of ubuntu 10.04, but the system still doesn't see the HDMI port as an audio output option.

Tried aplay -l in the command line, and it only lists the analog outputs.

At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to scrap using anything other than windows, because the only driver nvidia makes available for HDMI audio is for windows only. I'd really like to avoid that if possible, as the idea of a streamlined XBMC-only box is really what I'm going for.

Has anybody had success getting audio through the HDMI port using any flavor of linux?

I'm starting from scratch, so I'm willing to mess with it for a while, but since I know so little about Linux in general, I'm pretty much lost at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Hehe... screw the design, I present to you, the Frankenprot(i)on2 in it's new home ...
Silent and deadly - just buy a Gentle Typhoon.
kroem, have you also removed the original power button?
Yes, another advantage of the Proton case - once you open it up, you can put it back together into a working config.... Smile

It's what I call a ghetto mod.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I2