• 33(current)
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I
kroem Wrote:Hehe... screw the design, I present to you, the Frankenprot(i)on2 in it's new home ...
Silent and deadly - just buy a Gentle Typhoon.

Do you think the "Scythe Slip Stream 120mm Case Fan Slim" can stay inside the Proton?

PS Hi to all members of the forum! Smile
Revenge Wrote:People, our board is complient with DTS Surround Sensation. In other words, it can emulate DTS 5.1 channels on stereo headphones.

Dow anyone know how can we enable it?

Go into control panel and then hardware and sound. The Realtek HD audio manager is there. Then tick the option on one of the tabs.
Just built my HTPC using this board, however I'm having some quality issues in Ubuntu 10.10. The image seams rough and jaggy but if I put a USB Pen directly in the TV, the image is great.
Are there any known issues using this board under Linux?
ruimarto Wrote:Just built my HTPC using this board ...
Are there any known issues using this board under Linux?
Hi ruimarto. The issues known with this board would not cause jagged images. Have you installed the nVidia drivers? The USB drive thing hints that it may be an issue with the TV itself. What make and model is it, and what interface are you using?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
The TV is fine, otherwise the image wouldn't be good either on Linux or on the TV USB port. Also, when I connect my macbook pro with VGA cable, the image is good.
It's a Samsung 40LE530 and is connected with a gold plated HDMI cable.

Yes, I think I've installed the nVidia drivers. Where can I download the latest or update the ones I have? I've searched the nVidia site and only found drivers for ION and ION LE.

Also, I have no HDMI sound output. I only have sound if I select the soundcard analog output.
ruimarto Wrote:Where can I download the latest or update the ones I have?
Ubuntu should download the correct drivers automatically. On the first boot, after installation, it should have come up with an option to download the official nVidia drivers. If you have them installed, there should be an option under System > Administration > NVIDIA X Server Settings. If this doesn't exist, click the 'Additional Drivers' option, also in Administration to get the correct drivers.

ruimarto Wrote:Also, I have no HDMI sound output. I only have sound if I select the soundcard analog output.
This is a general issue with linux+ION systems. Fortunately there is a fairly simple solution, requiring alsamixer. There are plenty of posts on many forums about this.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

Then I guess I have the nvidia drivers. Smile I'll go look into that alsamixer thing...

Anything else I should know about Linux HTPCs? So far I've installed XBMC and disabled the ubuntu effects to solve an image quality issue during movies, but that's all. I still see the windows break a bit when I move them around.

I'm starting to think I should have gone with Windows 7, but I also need it to be a server and I don't know how that would work.
Ubuntu will be able to do every you want your machine to do, you just need to learn how to use it. Fortunately there are plenty of guides and FAQs out there. You should be able to find all the answers to any questions by searching a bit. Good luck!

i have tried using the motherboard with just XBMC live ver 10 and the main problem is i cannot get it to wake up from remote. i have tried all the usual bios settings and was sent a general Linux fix after i posted but still no Joy.

just wondered if you were able to solve this your self? in the end i just did a base install of windows starter and all the nvidia drivers and it now works, but would still prefer just to have XBMC live?
incadar Wrote:i have tried using the motherboard with just XBMC live ver 10 and the main problem is i cannot get it to wake up from remote. i have tried all the usual bios settings and was sent a general Linux fix after i posted but still no Joy.

just wondered if you were able to solve this your self? in the end i just did a base install of windows starter and all the nvidia drivers and it now works, but would still prefer just to have XBMC live?

My mobo wakes from standby using a remote (tried two different). I do believe you have to use one of the rear USB ports. You also have to enable this feature in the BIOS, and in the power management under Linux or Windows.
Question 
hi folks,

just been going back over this thread - some very interesting stuff so thanks to all contributors thus far. im a bit late to the game but am wondering if the PCIE issues mentioned have now been resolved, the latest bios update (0502 at time of writing) seem to have fixed it but im wondering if anyone has this particular experience...

anyone running the Dual TBS 6981 DVB-S2 tuner with the AT5IONT ? the pcie problems that have existed would make this mobo a non-starter for me. Stare

KuleRucket Wrote:I have a question for anyone who currently owns the AT5IONT or even the AT3IONT and is using the Linux based xbmc or MythTV.

I have read conflicting information about whether the VDPAU supports multiple h.264 streams. MythTY wiki says no but it's a bit out of date. I have seen lot of reports on this thread and elsewhere that an Atom/ION pairing can easily cope with 1080p video. If VDPAU supports multiple streams, how much can the ION cope with for 2 streams?

I have seem a report on Amazon of someone using a Dual TBS 6981 DVB-S2 tuner with a Zotac ION board, recording one DVB-S HD channel whilst recording another. I am wondering whether the ASUS boards could do DVB-S2 + DVB-S or even 2xDVB-S2.

Could someone do some tests running 2x720i and try steps up to 2x1080p. In the end I think that if I can record a DVB-S2 channel while watching a DVB-S channel, that will be good enough to get a dual DVB-S2 PCIe tuner along with an AT3/AT5.

KuleRucket - did you get this to work in the end or opt for something else? Huh

many thanks guys n gals...

LuKe
As far as I am aware, the majority of PCIe cards should now work. I suggest finding out what chipset your card has, and seeing if anyone has used a card with the same one.

WRT the dual 1080p streams, I would be hesitant to rely on an atom/ion combo for this. The single PCIe x1 link is enough for a single 1080p stream to be decoded on the GPU, but I'm not sure the CPU will be able to handle the other one. Unless someone comes along having done this, I could not guarantee this would work.

hi numb7rs,

many thanks for the quick response (finger been over the add-to-cart button...)

numb7rs Wrote:As far as I am aware, the majority of PCIe cards should now work. I suggest finding out what chipset your card has, and seeing if anyone has used a card with the same one.

WRT the dual 1080p streams, I would be hesitant to rely on an atom/ion combo for this. The single PCIe x1 link is enough for a single 1080p stream to be decoded on the GPU, but I'm not sure the CPU will be able to handle the other one. Unless someone comes along having done this, I could not guarantee this would work.

interesting point about the dual HD streams, not one i'd considered. forgive my ignorance but i thought the PCIe link was a x4 on this board? - perhaps i've got muddled... the card's connector is a short one (hahah, so un-technical!) i think it's a 1x length.

hmmm, more digging...

Luke
The PCIe port on this board is physically a x4, but electronically a x1. Your card is a x1 also. There's no issue here. (Even if the card was a x4, it would still work in a x1 port, as the PCIe architecture allows running with a lower number of links, but I digress)

I was actually talking about the link between the CPU and the ION chipset being only x1. I don't have any experience with running dual stream, and I don't know where the dual streams will be going, so I can't say if the board is up to this. For the playback of a single stream, the board will have no issue. If you're really concerned about having the dual stream functionality, I would suggest waiting until someone who has experience with this comes along.

numb7rs Wrote:I was actually talking about the link between the CPU and the ION chipset being only x1. I don't have any experience with running dual stream, and I don't know where the dual streams will be going, so I can't say if the board is up to this. For the playback of a single stream, the board will have no issue. If you're really concerned about having the dual stream functionality, I would suggest waiting until someone who has experience with this comes along.

wise words, thanks for clearing it up. shall see what comes up in my reasearch. Nod

cheers,

Luke
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I2