• 34(current)
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I
Anyone experience problems with the eSATA disk not showing when resuming from standby?
numb7rs Wrote:WRT the dual 1080p streams, I would be hesitant to rely on an atom/ion combo for this. The single PCIe x1 link is enough for a single 1080p stream to be decoded on the GPU, but I'm not sure the CPU will be able to handle the other one. Unless someone comes along having done this, I could not guarantee this would work.

If you are recording one channel and watching the other, then you don't need the GPU to handle 2 streams. The video stream is decoded when you watch it, not when you record it.
dantheperson Wrote:The video stream is decoded when you watch it, not when you record it.
But surely there must be some sort of conversion when recording to disk? Unless that's handled by the capture card. That's why I said I don't know where the other stream will go.

I doubt the D525's capability to encode/decode 1080p streams on the fly, if that is what is needed.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:But surely there must be some sort of conversion when recording to disk? Unless that's handled by the capture card. That's why I said I don't know where the other stream will go.

I doubt the D525's capability to encode/decode 1080p streams on the fly, if that is what is needed.

Analog TV was a different story with the CPU kept busy compressing the picture on the fly into a digital file ( or you bought an expensive TV card with a dedicated MPEG encoding chip).

With DVB-T/S/C the encoding is done by the broadcaster. A compressed MPEG transport stream is broadcast with many channels multiplexed together. To record you tune into the frequency and dump the broadcast stream onto the disk. The most your machine has to do is demultiplex the channels and that is very light work. For standard def myth can use less than 1% of one of the D525 CPUs -though for me it uses more like 15% as i have it scanning the stream for EIT data to update the programe guide- 23% recoding HD (1080i) and 45% recording two channels from the same multiplex - again these figures will be lower if you use a downloaded program guide rather than the over the air broadcast guide.

So for instance on my system, recording two 1080i channels, and watching another pre-recorded 1080i show, uses approx 57% of one cpu.

One point, i have no idea if with a dual tuner card ( mine is single ), recording two shows from different multiplexes would be too much for the PCI bus, as that would be obviously double the data, but i really doubt it, the compressed broadcast stream is small compared to the decoded picture going to a graphics card.
dantheperson Wrote:A compressed MPEG transport stream is broadcast with many channels multiplexed together. To record you tune into the frequency and dump the broadcast stream onto the disk.
That's really interesting, I honestly didn't know that. Thanks.

Quote:I have no idea if recording two shows from different multiplexes would be too much for the PCI bus.
The card LuKeNuKuM linked is shipped with a PCIe x1 connector. I don't think they would sell very well if this wasn't enough bandwidth Laugh

LuKeNuKuM - It seems my concerns over the dual streaming ability were unfounded. I see no reason why this wouldn't work.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

I still have the problem with the PCI-E but only under linux, it worked perfectly in windows, but in linux when you do lspci, the card is not listed at all.
I already installed the 5.02 firmware but it didn't help.

Did anyone managed to use this card in xmbc live? and if yes please post your hardware details here.

Thanks
If it's showing in Windows but not Linux, then it's probably a Linux issue. What card are you trying to use?

Anybody know if there is a way round using IR remote to turn on the system from cold using a ASUS AT5IONT-I deluxe ??
Is there a bios version for this ?
Remote working fine once switched on with the power button but would like switch on from the remote.
Thanks
http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html
Thanks eskro for the info.
I am currently using the Wesena/Philips one which apparently supports power on/off but it does not seem to work - I think it must be down to the internal usb header being inactive once the power button has turned it off.
Running in S3 mode.

http://www.wesena.co.uk/product.php/18/5/rc260
I'm trying to get my network to work under XBMC Live (10.04LTS) but I'm not getting anywhere.

If I do:
$ sudo ifdown eth0
$ sudo ifup eth0

I get "Bound to 10.0.2.15" and apt-get update works fine. But if I reboot I get no network again and have to repeat this.

With 11.04 it all works fine.

More info:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102067
Just wondering, i'm considering buying this board but do you think i would be able to play Starcraft2 with all low graphics and 4gb ram and SSD?

SC2 official recommended settings:
Quote:Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

Also, on newegg feedbacks some people complaint that it cant play 1080p, is it true ??

here's a feedback
Quote:Cons: Where to begin...IT WILL NOT PLAY HD, not even at 720p. After buying this MB I found that HD was out of the question due to the fact that the ATOM D525 is not capable of running HD. A reviewer stated that ASUS does not update the NVidia drivers which is true, but NVidia does not either. I also have several problems with the Internet connection losing the signal.
ATOM D525 is capable of playing 1080P....
u just need to enable HardWare Acceleration,,,,,
i play 1080p all the time, no problem.

As for ability to play SC, i don't know but i will note the core is based on the
GT218, and is approx equivalent to a GeForce G210M running at 535Mhz... so you can see how that relates to a 8800
Quote:so you can see how that relates to a 8800
how can i see the comparison between the 2 ? as long as it's equal or better it's fine with me, like i said i only want minimum performance its for occasional gaming
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I2