ms-dos
Hi, I've recently had big problems with the computer, and have had to start from scratch, i've put xbmc back on, but having problems with that, i'll try to sort that one out a little longer, however, one problem i have, is that i want to copy movies from one hard drive to another, but i get the message saying it's invalid, a MS-Dos error??
Can anyone help me out on this one, not come across this one before, and theres over 500g still free!!
Thanks guys
Big Grin
Please post the exact error and your system specs
Would be nice with the error message.
As for the error message, it just says invalid ms-dos function.
This bloody computer has been doing my head in with other problems as well, not just this one!

4 gig ram, geforce 7300 graphics card, 2ghz processor

I realize its not in the proper place....now..sorry for that!
maaaan, please be more specific...how are we supposed to know what you mean?

WHAT are you trying to do?
WHEN is the error occuring?
WHICH OS do you use?
WHAT kind of hard drive?

and so on...dont be lazy!
hi, i am trying to copy movies (avi, mp4 etc), from one hard drive to another.It will copy music, but not movies?
The error is occuring as soon as i try to drag a movie from one hd to another.

I'm using windows vista 32 bit.
The hard drive is a samsund HD154UI, a 1.5TB drive, with 387 gig free!

This error has only occured since i reinstalled vista yesterday, i need the hard drive, as my xbmc movies, tv shows etc are on it!! lol
Thanks guys
I wonder if this may be NTFS vs Fat32 or some other file system problem.
Desktop / Media Server: Win10 x64, ThermalTake Commander G42 case, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX750, CM M 1000w, 8GB GSkill, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 120GB, 2x WD Black 1TB RAID 1, WD 6TB + WD 4TB spanned, single 3TB

Intel NUC with Openelec in TV room.
My guess would be that you're trying to copy a file that's larger than 3.5-4gb onto a drive that's formatted to FAT32. That would explain the error. Give us a screenshot of the error and we can tell you for sure.

If it is what I suspect it is, you're pretty much out of luck. It's possible to convert a drive from FAT32 to NTFS without formatting, but it's a VERY BAD IDEA. Very rarely do I ever see it work properly.
Unless the person above me is correct then you can try to run a checkdisk, might be some bad sectors that is causing the error message.
Not sure if relevant, but vista finally upgraded to service pack 1, this morning i tried again, and even though all my drives are NTFS, it started to copy onto the drive, well, it got to halfway, and locked up the computer..this is the reason why i re-installed everything, and i still have the exact same problem?

Luckily, i have backed up everything on the hard drive, and so i am gonna format it, and see if the problem disappears...No XBMC now for nearly 4 days....ARRRGGGGGHHHH!!
I would try to do a checkdisk before formatting,

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista...ows-vista/
moved to off-topic, nothing to do with XBMC
falafael Wrote:Not sure if relevant, but vista finally upgraded to service pack 1, this morning i tried again, and even though all my drives are NTFS, it started to copy onto the drive, well, it got to halfway, and locked up the computer..this is the reason why i re-installed everything, and i still have the exact same problem?!

A lock-up issue that is not solved by a re-install will almost always be caused by a hardware fault.
Run the mfgr's diagnostics on each of your hard drives.
just to let you know, i decided to send the offending 1.5tb drive back, and received a brand new one, on formatting it (nfts), again it locked up, windows wouldn't complete the format.
What i then thought was if i make a 1TB partition, and try that, yes it worked!!!
However, the remaining 470GB still remains 'unusable' to me, i can only assume the motherboard wont recognize HD's above 1TB?

Am i right in assuming this, as i'm not to clued up on this area!
Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ms-dos0