XBMC 10.5 r32789 DHARMA Crash and Video logs
Smile 
Hello,

I used to run the stable version 9.11 with no problems playing full HD.
I had to reinstall ubuntu and since there is a problem with the PPA's I installed XBMC 10.5 r32789 (compiled Aug 15)

Seldom, when I start XBMC, opens for 1 second and then it shuts down but most importantly the video jitters and it drops frames.
Here is my info. Please tell me if I should provide more info.

x86 Ubuntu Lucid 10.04, Kernel 2.6.32-22 generic

CPU: Dual Core E6300 @28GHz
DDR3 2GB
Video/Chipset: GPU Intel GMA X4500 (HDMI) G43/G45, Northbridge Intel G43, Soutbridge Intel ICH10
OpenGL: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

XBMC 10.5 r32789 (compiled Aug 15)
Skin: Confluence, RapierQualar
Install method: PPA

All options were tested with all combinations:
- Rendering method
- VPAU Enbaled/Disabled
- Sync Options, etc
... but there was no improvement to video. Is it something that I did not installed?

Log file while crashed and playback: http://pastebin.com/iutMS63b

Thank you in advance.
The log seems to say that it can't keep up with the playback. What's the cpu usage during playback? could you turn of sync playback to video and repost log.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Must be LN2 cooled, wow 28Ghz Smile

"CPU: Dual Core E6300 @28GHz"
Thank you for the replies guys.

The CPU has a normal heatsink cooling with fan installed on a uATX mobo Asus P5G43T-Pro with HDMI and optical outputs.

The CPU values:
Sync enabled:
CPU 0 & 1 = 70~80%
CPU XBMC = 85~90%

With Sync disabled:
CPU 0 & 1 = 50~65%
CPU XBMC = 55~65%

Exiting from full window and running in about 800x600 window:
CPU 0 & 1 ~ 30%
CPU XBMC 40~45%
and video is playing smooth.

Free mem: ~ 1.4 Gb

MediaInfo: http://pastebin.com/3eNUwjjY
The playing results are the same regardless what movie it plays.

Log with no sync: http://pastebin.com/Ht8V8emh

Smile
It seems that somehow there is no video acceleration and most part s done by the CPU.

What is so different 10.xx than 9.xx in terms of playing the media? Is there a driver missing?

Could this be fixed?
Well, I will probably switch to windows or install an older version XBMC over current lucid.

It is encouraged to test new releases and most importantly to report problems in the proper format. I did that.

Unfortunately the help was not there (oh yeah, I know, the guys are very busy).

I noticed that many people wanted to switched to linux running XBMC but in comparison with the other XBMC running platforms, here is a tough world: help is much, much more limited, various issues for instance the PPA is screwed-up for weeks with no notice whatsoever. You try to do things as aper wiki that are well outdated. So then you asked yourself if have done the right thing or not.

I would BUY support but it seems folks here that donated did not get the required help either. So what then? It must be the Linux based team then... Wink
Dude it's great that you posted all this stuff, but it hasn't even been 48 hours yet so lighten up Big Grin XBMC is still free and many people are hard at work to keep you and me happy.

If i mail my ISP I'd be happey to hear anything after a week has passed and I pay them every week.
DigitALL Wrote:It is encouraged to test new releases and most importantly to report problems in the proper format. I did that.

You did? Where's the trac ticket?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
tslayer Wrote:You did? Where's the trac ticket?

I am sorry, I was not aware of using a track ticket.

I have uninstalled Dharma and installed stable 9.11 in the classic way. Added the current stable PPA, installed standalone 9.11 and it is the same, video choppy.

Then I started from a CD with stable 9.11 live version, selected "XBMC Intel GPU" and everything runs flawless. It seems that all is about of loading the right GPU drivers.
I do not understand why using the stable or Dharma standalone version does not do the same thing. Please help.

I replied with the above not after 48 hours but my thread was already lost on third page so I thought that nobody will read it anymore. Sorry.
Compare the video drivers used with the live cd and then compare with what you have otherwise.

tslayer Wrote:Compare the video drivers used with the live cd and then compare with what you have otherwise.

Thanks for the fast reply. I do not know how to compare the video drivers.
I I knew to replace them or whatever, I will do it. I am familiar with terminal but where is all stuff, unfortunately I have no idea.
xbmc.log should show you too...

Google's a good friend as well to learn about linux commands.

It seems that are loaded the correct video drivers

Code:
19:36:05 T:3078780784 M:1827012608  NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = Tungsten Graphics, Inc
19:36:05 T:3078780784 M:1827012608  NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Mesa DRI Intel(R) G45/G43 GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
19:36:05 T:3078780784 M:1827012608  NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
19:36:05 T:3078780784 M:1827012608  NOTICE: GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT

VLC and Video Player (original with ubuntu) are playing movies, including in 1080 very nice, no hick up.

Before the PPA's to go down, I had installed 9.11 stable and it run nicely but I had problems with the remote and installed too much crap, so I decided to start with a clean install of lucid and xbmc. At that time the PPA's were down and now it doesn;t matter if I install Dharma or the stable 9.11 the video is the same, choppy and the CPU has sometimes over 90% usage.
That makes me think that at the PPA level the XBMC (both 9.11 and 10.xx) were compiled with something missing. Then why before PPA shutdown and now the live XBMC and VLC are running just fine?

What should I do? I have posted the logs but nobody said anything about it.
I wish to try something interesting and I need some advice...

Talking only about Dharma version.
- So if XBMC is installed onto a USB stick from a XBMC live CD, then it boots by itself in XBMC and it runs smooth with no problem. I could run it like that but I need desktop/browsing/internet capability.
- Same listed version XBMC installed on the hard dirve (lucid 10.04) through Synaptic/PPA does not work, video is choppy, horrible.

What about overwriting/copying the XBMC files/drivers/folders from the working USB stick to the hard drive over the non-working XBMC?

Shouldn't that fix the problem by uploading/overwriting a non working driver/file? Logically, it should but I do not know exactly what files/drivers/folders to overwrite/copy from the USB to the hard drive.

Could anyone please suggest what is important or where are video drivers/players located? Smile
I don't think that would work; IIRC the Live CD is based on Ubuntu Karmic instead of Lucid.

Is there a reason that you need the newer Ubuntu release?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 10.5 r32789 DHARMA Crash and Video logs0