• 1(current)
Setup guide for XBMC Android remote
Hi all

I have been trying to make the Android App work for about 2 days now, with help from only one person who is a only a member here and that person helped me port forward port 8080 in my router, the rest i had to do all myself unfortunately with no real time help from any administrators or moderators, but no disrespect to them, i guess it is a case of bad timing or putting my posts in bad places

below is a guide i have made, some parts but not all parts of the guide are from the wiki page, you should be able to tell what part of the guide is from me and what part of the guide is not

First steps

1. Download XBMC remote from Android Market on the phone

2. Be sure that WIFI is enabled and you are connected to home network like in this screen below

3. Open XBMC and go to Settings, Network and enter these details as seen in this screen below (any user and pass will do)

4. Now press Esc and go to Settings, System, go to input devices and be sure that Remote control sends keyboard presses is enabled

Everything in XBMC should be ready to go so exit XBMC and follow these next steps

1. Once XBMC is installed on phone, open the app and click menu and after that click settings, now click Manage XBMC Hosts and enter the following

Name of this instance: anything you want
Host or IP address: go to http://whatismyip.com on computer and see what IP is, enter IP in the box
HTTP API port: enter 8080
username: has to match what you entered in XBMC (see screen)
password: has to match what you entered in XBMC (see screen)
WIFI only: I left this unticked
EventServer port: 9777

All the other box were left alone

Now for some final steps

1. Go to router settings, on my Netgear router I go to http://192.168.1.1 but for you it could be different

2. Next go to Port Forwarding / Port Triggering and click add custom service and enter the following settings

service name: anything
service type: udp
start and end port: 9777
server IP address: go to CMD and type ipconfig, now see IPv4 address? enter that address in the server ip address box

Now remain where you are (in port forwarding / port triggering) and click add custom service again and enter these settings

service name: anything
service type: udp/tcp
start and end port: 8080
server IP address: go to CMD and type ipconfig, now see IPv4 address? enter that address in the server ip address box

Now open XBMC and also open XBMC Remote Control on phone, on phone click try again to connect if you have to

Now start playing a movie or something

I may have missed some steps although i do not think i have? i may update this post later today to make it look neat, i hope this helps some people, if it has helped you, reply and let me and everyone else know

this guide may not cover all users unfortunately but if you message me i will try to help you, i may not be that great, but you could go to irc and wait for someone to reply there too if you are patient

thank you
i love xbmc
http://www.portforward.com for all your port forwarding needs

nice guide hopefully others can use it to get the remotes working.

-=Jason=-
You had to portforward in your lan? That's strange.
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
well some of it still confuses me, but all them steps are all the steps i took and now it works for me, so it is all good
i love xbmc
I think the way you have set it up will allow control from over the internet since you used "whatismyip" to get the "host ip" address, which will show you your "public IP" address and if you've entered this as your "host IP" then you should in theory be able to control via a 3G connection because you've forwarded your ports correctly.

for internal network use only, no ports should need forwarding and you would use the IP address of the machine running xbmc as the "Host IP" (eg. using "ipconfig" in CMD to obtain the "host IP".

Nice to see a guide for this though, since I'll be getting an android in the not to distant future (sick of my N97 paper weight)

RBX
Ah now I got it.
You are using your external IP to connect to XBMC. If that is what you like to do you should use a dynamic DNS to connect. Otherwise your config will stop working after you reconnect to the internet.

To check the internal host ip use the info screen of XBMC Wink
well I have remote ssh, sabnzbd, couch potato, sickbeard all working via my dns server, but I can't get xbmc remote to connect to it.

not sure if I need to fill out the
access point and mac address to get it to work...
but I do have port 8080 forwarding in my router

-=Jason=-
access point for me is blank i think, and as for mac address, once i entered IP address mac address filled out automatically
i love xbmc
kev I don't recall having to port forward to get the remote working over my wifi network I just typed in the ip of the computer 192.168.x.x set the port to 8080 and it just worked

-=Jason=-
i think i may have tried just that, i tried all sorts of different things, when i tried my guide that is when it worked, but everything else i tried did not work
i love xbmc
kevcampbell Wrote:WIFI only: I left this unticked

I was just playing with this and it will not connect with this left unticked if you are just trying to access it on your home network. You could put in the IP of your XBMC system itself and then check this box and you wouldnt need to forward anything.

Thanks for the info on forwarding though. I think I will set this up so I can access it from basically anywhere if I wanted to.

After trying the official remote I have to say I like the one by Beungoud. That one I just put the ip address of the machine in and other info...and it just worked. The official one took messing with a bit and doesnt seem as nice to use as this other one. My media is not well organized at all so the official one doesnt even see it while the Beungoud one allows me to list all the sources I have on my phone and run through the directories right on the phone and pick something to play.
pugs Wrote:I was just playing with this and it will not connect with this left unticked if you are just trying to access it on your home network. You could put in the IP of your XBMC system itself and then check this box and you wouldnt need to forward anything.

Thanks for the info on forwarding though. I think I will set this up so I can access it from basically anywhere if I wanted to.

After trying the official remote I have to say I like the one by Beungoud. That one I just put the ip address of the machine in and other info...and it just worked. The official one took messing with a bit and doesnt seem as nice to use as this other one. My media is not well organized at all so the official one doesnt even see it while the Beungoud one allows me to list all the sources I have on my phone and run through the directories right on the phone and pick something to play.

just installed your recommended remote and I was not able to connect , I wonder if I need so enable some extra setting in xbcm

-=Jason=-
pugs Wrote:I was just playing with this and it will not connect with this left unticked if you are just trying to access it on your home network. You could put in the IP of your XBMC system itself and then check this box and you wouldnt need to forward anything.
No this option causes the remote to wait for wifi to connect before the remote tries to reach xbmc.

Quote:After trying the official remote I have to say I like the one by Beungoud. That one I just put the ip address of the machine in and other info...and it just worked. The official one took messing with a bit and doesnt seem as nice to use as this other one. My media is not well organized at all so the official one doesnt even see it while the Beungoud one allows me to list all the sources I have on my phone and run through the directories right on the phone and pick something to play.
Just use the folder view (all the way to the right on the sliding tab) in music and movies and you are good to go.

PS: Once I'm done with my exam we'll have a nice and easy way to set everything up.
@ the_alien does the xbmc remote have power to connect via 3G. I have a DynDns setup and have successfully set up SSH, Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, CouchPotato. I have port 8080 forwarded in my router I have xbmc set to port 8080

-=Jason=-
the_alien Wrote:No this option causes the remote to wait for wifi to connect before the remote tries to reach xbmc.

Just use the folder view (all the way to the right on the sliding tab) in music and movies and you are good to go.

PS: Once I'm done with my exam we'll have a nice and easy way to set everything up.

You wont find a computer on your own network until you connect via WiFi so it would be a good idea to check this unless you plan to set up all the forwarding so you can connect from anywhere without wifi. Mine didnt work till I checked that but its probably because my phone had not connected to my wifi yet.

Where is the sliding tab you are talking about? On the remote or? I cant seem to find it on the remote but my fingers dont lend themselves to small things on my HTC hero LOL.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setup guide for XBMC Android remote2