changing home screen images
I was wondering if there is any way to reduce/eliminate the lag when you change the home screen images to a custom image. I am currently running an Acer revo 1600. I just copied a fan art image from my movies folder (about 530kb).

When scrolling down the home menu all the other screens load instantaneously but the custom one doesn't seem to load as fast, it lags by a couple of seconds.

Thanks for any help.
I have the same Revo I have mine set to a custom folder and dont see Any lag when scrolling through them How much memory do you have ?
Also are you upto date with your SVN ?
Just had a thought is the picture on your revo or on a network drive ?
i have 1gb of ram. I am using the regular XBMC live (stable version that is D/L off the regular site). They are both located in the home folder.
poor decision with the memory i think .. everyone i know who has a atom/ion box uses 2gb .. and i know when one of my friends sticks of ram crapped out (leaving him temporarily with 1gb) .. it was definitely laggier
I doubt very much that it has anything to do with his amount of ram, at least since he is using XBMC live, which only uses like 200 MB when you are not playing a movie.

I got the same problem too (got 2 Gigs of RAM, but not that it matters anyway), running the latest version of both SVN and night.

edit: I wouldn't really describe it as lag btw, the menu is smooth, it's just that the background image takes a couple of seconds to change. The system it self does not freeze or anything.
I would look to HDD reading speeds
Don't see how it could be the HDD reading speed either (or any other hardware) as I don't have this problem with other skins. Fanart for instance in TV Shows and Videos loads instantly as well...

Images are very small anyways, so I don't get why you would think this has anything to do with the problems?
i wonder where the extra ram is handy on a Live setup. Does anyone have any personal experience with large changes between 1gb and 2gb on a live setup
Very simple solution: use BMP instead of JPG. It will load as fast as the other images if you use BMP.
Unfortunately that did not work Sad Thanks for the suggestion though
Ah! Silly me, just had to resize the image (had it in 1920x1200, while the resolution on my TV is set to 720p) Smile Let's hope you'r in the same situation as me Josh.
Wedge Wrote:Ah! Silly me, just had to resize the image (had it in 1920x1200, while the resolution on my TV is set to 720p) Smile Let's hope you'r in the same situation as me Josh.

That would've been my guess. I bet the default images, which I kept at 960x540, the transitions are quick...My main computer is a little outdated and has trouble with the heavy skins - Aeon/Xperience and big textures/fanarts in general are slow to show on the computer. But my main HTPC is more powerful and no matter what I throw at it everything changes instantly...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
Has anyone messed around with the DDS file compression talked about here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=revo

It looks promising but also very confusing. Especially for someone running the stock build of XBMC. Here is hoping Dharma gets official soon.
joshhansen Wrote:Has anyone messed around with the DDS file compression talked about here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=revo

It looks promising but also very confusing. Especially for someone running the stock build of XBMC. Here is hoping Dharma gets official soon.

Use one of the nightly builds and it does it automatically as per this quote in the thread you posted:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=589...tcount=265

To do this, I've added support for loading .dds versions of fanart in SVN via the <useddsfanart> advancedsettings.xml tag. You need SVN r23421 or higher for this
Code:

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

You need to create the advancedsettings.xml just use notepad and save as "all types" instead of the default txt, place in your appdata/roaming/xbmc/userdata folder if using win7.

Just look in the movie folder at each moviescreen one at a time for a few seconds each and it generates a dds file automatically. Next time you look at your library it loads instantly, i have this on my acer revo with 1gb of memory and it works.
To clarify, are you saying instead of downloading a nightly version I can enable DDS and have my artwork modified on my default 9.11 version by just adding the code into advanced settings then browsing through the library and showing each fanart so that it can convert them?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
changing home screen images0