Trouble using as remote
I found this:
# Accessing the library works, but when I go to the remote control screen, nothing happens when I click on the buttons.

* In 90% of all cases, you forgot to enable EventServer in XBMC. Additionally, you need to allow access from other computers - Yes, that's two options to enable (Under Settings -> Network).
* If the settings above are correct, then maybe the firewall where XBMC is running on is blocking it. On Windows, disable it to check. On Linux, type
Code:

netstat --all | grep 9777

while XBMC is running to see if EventServer is accepting connections. If you need to explicitly open the port in your firewall, it's 9777 UDP.
* If you're port-forwarding packets to your XBMC box in order to access it via mobile internet, make sure you forward UDP port 9777 as well (see next question).

However I see nothing about EventServer in the Network settings area. I am using XBMC 9.11 R26018. Did they change the wording of what needs to be toggled in those settings?
Ok, I may have answered my own question. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Eventserver is now "Allow control of XBMC via UPnP"

Allow access from other computers is now "Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC"

I checked both of those and it seems to work. Do I need both of those? Are the assumptions above correct? Am I a complete moron(please dont answer that one)
No. The "Allow control of XBMC via UPnP" has nothing to do with the remote.

There are two radio buttons you have to select
"Allow Programs on this system to control XBMC"
"Allow Programs on other systems to control XBMC"
gfoldv Wrote:No. The "Allow control of XBMC via UPnP" has nothing to do with the remote.

There are two radio buttons you have to select

Ahh, ok, thanks. I will try this.

Allow Programs on this system to control XBMC seems to be checked by default if I remember right. But the Allow other systems was not.
Have tried this on both xbox and xbmc live builds, the remote doesnt work for basic remote functions (up, down, pause, play, etc.) you can select a movie in the library and it will play it tho.. just cant pause it or anything after that point
gfoldv Wrote:There are two radio buttons you have to select

@Numus: check those two buttons.
XBMCLive Dharma beta 2 running on an ASRock ION 330 HT
the_alien Wrote:@Numus: check those two buttons.
did on both setups. Like i said, i can browse the library on the android controller and start a file that way, it is actually the remote functionality that is broken
No, it is actually your setup that is broken.
If both checkboxes are active, check if the eventserver port is 9777 in the remote. Check if the port is blocked by your firewall.
Are you using WLAN to connect, or are you connecting through 3G?
Hi - I've used this remote before, and it used to work on my XBMC setup in the living room and on my laptop. I connected using my 3G connection. I have not changed any settings on my PC, or on the router; but now it doesn't work. I have an open issue in the Google Code repot, but they told me to come here and ask.

This is what I'm seeing right now on my XBMC-Test setup on this laptop (Win7 Ultimate x64):

Code:
09:31:14 T:4196 M:916881408  NOTICE: Running the application...
09:31:14 T:4196 M:916836352  NOTICE: Webserver: Starting...
09:31:14 T:4564 M:916754432  NOTICE: Webserver: Started
09:31:14 T:4196 M:916746240  NOTICE: ES: Starting event server
09:31:14 T:5004 M:916733952  NOTICE: ES: Starting UDP Event server on 0.0.0.0:9777
09:31:14 T:5004 M:916729856  NOTICE: UDP: Listening on port 9777

And when I view a netstat, it's listening on 0.0.0.0 instead of localhost or my internal private IP. Is there a way to force XBMC to listen on a specific IP internally? I've disabled my VMWare network pseudo adapters and my LAN adapter in this machine.

I can't use WiFi because the antennae is broken in my G1 (running 2.1 Cyanogen mod 5.8 something). My girlfriend's does work internally (using WiFi). Which could be an issue with the router, sure. But nothing changed on it at all.

I put my test PC in the DMZ and forwarded all ports. Still nothing. I know it has to do with XBMC dropping 0.0.0.0 for IP that it's listening on. Any suggestions on changing that? Should I post this somewhere else?
Nothing is wrong with the IP address 0.0.0.0
This means that the application can accept connection on any network interface. So if the machine has a wired ethernet adapter and a wifi adapter, both can be used to reach the given 9777 port.

If your machine is defined as DMZ that you do not need to configure any port forwarding since that is a purpose of the DMZ that every connection from the internet goes to that machine through the router.

You can also try to connect your test pc directly to the internet, leaving the router out of the game. Unless it's an all-in-one cable modem-router device...
Yeah. It's quite strange actually. I have localhost / private IP listening on ports for other applications, but 0.0.0.0 is the listening port for XBMC; which like you said is fine. I think that with the multiple adapters it's getting a bit confused. I actually got the remote to connect to my test PC. But it was strange... I had an invalid user name in it, and it connected right in. I could browse things, but it would drop (probably spotty network here). I had to actually enable my firewall in Windows and set it all up.

I have the main machine in the DMZ right now for testing, and it's still being odd. It's an XP machine, and I might need to take it offline and overhaul it. It could have just dropped the settings because it's rather old. I'll continue to test, but it looks like I'm getting somewhere.

Thanks!
the_alien Wrote:No, it is actually your setup that is broken.
If both checkboxes are active, check if the eventserver port is 9777 in the remote. Check if the port is blocked by your firewall.
Are you using WLAN to connect, or are you connecting through 3G?

Please explain how half the functionality can work properly then while the other half doesn't?
The library functionality works by using the HTTP API of the XBMC. This communication is being done on the 8080 TCP port in default. You can change the port on the Settings/Network page of the XBMC.

However the remote control functionality of this android application works by using the EventServer of the XBMC. In this case the 9777 UDP port of the XBMC is used.

I hope this answers your question. In addition you can also find the FAQ at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70243
gfoldv Wrote:The library functionality works by using the HTTP API of the XBMC. This communication is being done on the 8080 TCP port in default. You can change the port on the Settings/Network page of the XBMC.

However the remote control functionality of this android application works by using the EventServer of the XBMC. In this case the 9777 UDP port of the XBMC is used.

I hope this answers your question. In addition you can also find the FAQ at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70243

Is it possibly to use 8080 UDP for the eventserver? i am guessing i need to port forward for the eventserver also? Strange how i have had the same setup for a long time and never had this issue before...
Yes, you can change the port to 8080 udp. It is somewhere in the xbmc config... don't ask me where exactly.
Will be easier to forward port 9777.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trouble using as remote0