"firewire 800" 2tb external slower than "USB 2.0"
i know this shouldn't be but when i use my new firewire drive that i specifically purchased for its high data transfer rate with xbmc and boxee the lag is unbearable. however, when i hook the drive up using the inferior USB 2 the problem seems to vanish almost completely except with some of my more massive HD files. I would like to use the full capabilities of my drive but i feel here there is something serious that i am overlooking. im running an intel powered macbook pro (last years model) and this problem is going to be the death of me. Any suggestions xbmc elite?

-Rory
roryconeill Wrote:i know this shouldn't be but when i use my new firewire drive that i specifically purchased for its high data transfer rate with xbmc and boxee the lag is unbearable. however, when i hook the drive up using the inferior USB 2 the problem seems to vanish almost completely except with some of my more massive HD files. I would like to use the full capabilities of my drive but i feel here there is something serious that i am overlooking. im running an intel powered macbook pro (last years model) and this problem is going to be the death of me. Any suggestions xbmc elite?

-Rory

Someone just posted some info about using a firewire drive causing massive issue with XBMC under VDA decoder (10.6.3+). Not sure why.

USB is plenty fast for realtime playback even with raw decrypted bluray rips. 50Mb/s is really not that much with respect to USB disk read/write throughput.
Yea I saw that post but can't understand how it's a vda issue. When you spent 50 extrabucks for FireWire then you just would rather use it. Especially when I'm transferring movies having to keep unplugging and pluging different cables to do different things. No fix in sightHuh??
roryconeill Wrote:Yea I saw that post but can't understand how it's a vda issue. When you spent 50 extrabucks for FireWire then you just would rather use it. Especially when I'm transferring movies having to keep unplugging and pluging different cables to do different things. No fix in sightHuh??

Smells like an OSX problem and not an XBMC problem. You might check if the format or filesystem type is different between the two disks.
I believe it to be an OSX issue, as I too had the same issue years ago. The main reason I stop using Firewire 800 and now only use USB 2.x
so new info... the problem only occurs when using my 1080p tv, when xbmc is running on the computer monitor there is no lag at all even in an 11 gig 1080p avatar file, it runs smoother than with the same file playing through usb 2. no clue what that means but it rules out osx as the cause of the problem. i've also messed around with my display thinking it might be an overscan or vertical sync issue but that doesnt seem to be it either.
is there any way i can buffer files that exist on my drive to avoid this problemHuh any suggestions besides switching to the lesser usb2 would be greatly appreciated.

-Rory

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"firewire 800" 2tb external slower than "USB 2.0"0