• 10(current)
H.264 in MP4 containers (inc. Nero Digital MPEG-4 AVC)
(ravemax @ april 30 2006,14:45 Wrote:i doubt that the xbox is powerful enough for high-res content, but it should be enough for 480p (or dvd-res).
i can currently play 6000 kbs divx3 files at 1152x654 resolution. i was wondering whether this new codec could get me better results. the above files definitely look hi-res.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(ashlar @ may 01 2006,13:05 Wrote:
(ravemax @ april 30 2006,14:45 Wrote:i doubt that the xbox is powerful enough for high-res content, but it should be enough for 480p (or dvd-res).
i can currently play 6000 kbs divx3 files at 1152x654 resolution. i was wondering whether this new codec could get me better results. the above files definitely look hi-res.
you're offtopic here.
this discussion is about mpeg-4 avc, aka h.264 playback, not divx or xvid
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(pike @ may 01 2006,12:07 Wrote:
(ashlar @ may 01 2006,13:05 Wrote:
you're offtopic here.
this discussion is about mpeg-4 avc, aka h.264 playback, not divx or xvid
huh? sorry... i was replying to the other guy that said xb is not powerful enough, etc. if it's not powerful enough to play h264 content in hi-res, i didn't get that was what he meant.

in any case, sorry.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
well i just read doom9 forum, and it appears coreavc did talk to xbmc about adding their codec, but they couldn't come up with a decision. my guess is xbmc is the ones making it difficult, but i dunno. i encourage the devs to reconsider!
(jblade @ may 03 2006,22:08 Wrote:well i just read doom9 forum, and it appears coreavc did talk to xbmc about adding their codec, but they couldn't come up with a decision. my guess is xbmc is the ones making it difficult, but i dunno. i encourage the devs to reconsider!
then you guess wrong
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(jblade @ may 03 2006,21:08 Wrote:well i just read doom9 forum, and it appears coreavc did talk to xbmc about adding their codec, but they couldn't come up with a decision.  my guess is xbmc is the ones making it difficult, but i dunno.  i encourage the devs to reconsider!

the problem is that corecodec want people to pay for their decoder. they never released the source for the activex filter and it looks like they deliberately made it hard to work with mplayer. they are talking about open source "in the future" but my guess that by then the ffd guys will have caught up in terms of speed.

i personally couldn't handle paying for coreavc for the xbmc when the xbmc guys do all this for free and they open source all their work.

well.. i think one of the problems for coraavc is how xbmc is distributed. since we don't distribute any offical builds, all builds being unofficial, it's impossible for them to keep track of who ilegally distribute their codec.

i don't see any problem with them charging for their codec, however i'd really like them to be more helpfull in adding support for it under other operating systems than windows.

just some side-note:
even in linux a valid serial-no & user is required for using coreavc1.0 in mplayer, otherwise the filter doesn't work. the filter reads both, no+user from the registry.
so there shouldn't be a problem with corecodec's business.
no serial > use ffmpeg, otherwise use coreavc.
dextrose member.
makes sense to me to, if they are making a copy for linux (and support for mplayer under linux, would it be that difficult to compile this using the xdk, and enable support for it with mplayer on xbmc?

support in xbmc could be a switch in video settings to use coreavc instead of mplayer or dvdplayer.

no?
if fixes was made to make mplayer support that dll. (only if accepted by mplayerhq as they can forse other consequences). it'd be happy to port those changes over. even if that was done, i can't guarantee that we'd get it to work on the xbox as that depends on how their codec is built.

jthunder, no recompile of the dll would be done, same as we use windows wmv9 dll for decoding that stuff.

at this point in time can xbmc play mpeg4 avc (h264) files in any shape or form?

i thought that it could, but i tried some on a recent release and they dont play. reading this thread i now think i might have been wrong.
hi everyone. ive read many people having problems with .mp4 video files, and i for a while was not one of them... until now.

i currently have the 6-6-6 build of xbmc and then a previous build as well, (seperate folders on my xbox), i never delete my old build til after i put the new one and make sure its working. though due to just not getting around to it i never delted my old build, which i'm a bit glad i didnt.

i use my 6-6-6 build all the time, except when i want to watch .mp4 video files.

my question is why would one build play .mp4 fine, and the other not?

i also copied all the codecs from the old build that works with mp4 to the 6-6-6 build but it still wont play them, it chops them all up.

if anyone has any ideas on this, i'd appreciate it. for now i'll leave both builds up but i would like to delete the old one but i need to get the 6-6-6 build to work with mp4 like the old one.

thanks.
jess
My Blog
Is there any benifit to XBMC from updating the bios on a mod chip, or updating switching dashboards ? The main point I am curious about is related to another question I already ask about h.264.

So I guess the main point would will XBMC recieve any sort of performance boost from a bios update or dashboard change ?

I don't understand why it takes so much more power to play h.264 then xvid or divx when they are all mpeg 4 variations. I've play .264 files on a 900mhz laptop running xp and it plays fine, but plays terribly on the 733mhz xbox. I'm not bitchin, just like to understand these things.

Secondary would be any other benifits like added harddrive support or something.
No.

The reason your laptop may play the material better is down to simply better tuned code, plus a 23% change in performance is quite significant.

Many of the faster decoders of *.264 content are closed source, proprietary implementations (coreavc etc.)

jonb2 Wrote:I don't understand why it takes so much more power to play h.264 then xvid or divx when they are all mpeg 4 variations.
You need to do some research. Yes H.263 (DivX/XviD) and H.264 (Nero AVC/x264) are both MPEG-4, but that is like saying that MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 is both MPEG, as H.263 (DivX/XviD) is MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) and is not at all as CPU-time intensive to encode or decode as H.264 (Nero AVC/x264) which MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding). If you check the CPU performance-monitor on yours (or any) computer while decoding a MPEG-4 ASP (H.263) video and compare it to the a MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video which was encoded with the same resolution and the same bit-rate then you will see a huge difference in CPU usage, (while a 500Mhz Intel PIII CPU might be able to decode a 720x480 MPEG-4 ASP video at 2000kb/s bit-rate, a 1400Mhz Intel PIII CPU will at best strugle to decode a 720x480 MPEG-4 AVC video at 2000kb/s bit-rate when encoded with Cabac and Deblocking, in fact you probebely going to need a 2GB+ CPU to decode that). An additional factor in the decoding time is that most MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) videos are decoded with AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) audio-tracks, and AAC is audio codec that takes more CPU-time to decode than MP3 or AC3.

Though it is true what jmarshall said that there are faster proprietary and closed source AVC/H264 decoders (like CoreAVC) then the open source FFmpeg decoder we use in XBMC, (a such maybe 50% faster decoder might speed be able to decode many 720x480 MPEG-4 AVC videos on the Xbox), that have been discussed futher here (link), and maybe if GPU assisted video decoding could be done on the xbox in XBMC then maybe most 720x480 MPEG-4 AVC videos would play on this Xbox, that have been discussed futher here (link), ...but that is a lot of maybe's!

More information about MPEG-4 AVC H.264 (Nero AVC/x264)
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...esolutions
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=7933

Quote:With its 733Mhz Intel Pentium III and 64MB shared memory, the Xbox does not have enough hardware-resources (not fast enough CPU nor large enough RAM-memory) to play MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) encododed videos with Cabac and Deblocking if the video-resolution is higher than 352x288 pixels. Workaround: If you encode your MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) videos without Cabac and Deblocking then the Xbox hardware can handle up to 480x576 pixels video-resolution. Though best is to encode your videos to MPEG-4 ASP (like DivX or XviD) instead, then the videos native-resolution can be up to 960x540 pixels (a.k.a. HRHD resolution), then XBMC can however upconvert all 480p/576p standard-resolution movies and output them to 720p or 1080i HDTV resolutions in better quality than most (if not all) HDTV's native function to upconvert video.

http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...imitations
...and here is a link to some more information on Team-XBMC codecs developement policy:
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...t_requests

Rolleyes
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.264 in MP4 containers (inc. Nero Digital MPEG-4 AVC)0