• 2(current)
H.264 in MP4 containers (inc. Nero Digital MPEG-4 AVC)
Exclamation 
...on the flip side you can try to also report the issue to nero digital (link) who might be willing to fix it and send code patch to mplayer/ffmpeg
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(gamester17 @ dec. 06 2004,12:50 Wrote:...on the flip side you can try to also report the issue to nero digital (link) who might be willing to fix it and send code patch to mplayer/ffmpeg
i wrote an email to german nero organisation with this topic. hope to get answer soon.
fyi; looks like ezar replicated the problem and submit a bug report to mplayer here (link), you can submit additional comments there.
(however do not report any issues seen in xbmc there, you must only inform them on issues tested with mplayer for linux/windows)

ps! don't give draw the conclusion that this is a mplayer bug/problem, it maybe still be a ffmpeg or nero issue so report to them too
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
tried to ask ffmpeg/mplayer about this, and this is the result:

Quote:(pike) what's the gameplan for full h.264 support in ffmpeg/mplayer ?
(+dirtysheep) isnt h264 decoder in libavcodec almost complete?
(+dirtysheep) theres x264 too
(+dirtysheep) x264 is optional but not directly part of mplayer
(+dirtysheep) and for h264 status either wait
(+dirtysheep) or write to ffmpeg-users

i'm not much wiser after those answers..

oh and i also chatted with the videolan people, and they also wait for ffmpeg to do something, since vlc doesnt support these encodings either. nero is not to blame here, ffmpeg is

Quote:it's not the same issue : vlc isn't a directshow player, so it can't use nero digital direct show filter to decode properly the video. it has instead to use ffmpeg, which is able to decode avc / h264, as far as b-frames & weighted prediction aren't enabled.

on the other hand, wmp, being a direct show player, can read .mp4 files filled with avc / h264 ( and so can mpc, zoom player, bsplayer & the like, which are far better than wmp, imho ), whatever the features enabled in the encoding.

concerning ffmpeg, the b-frames decoding seems to be on its way. weighted prediction may come later.

interresting... (copied from doom9 forums)

i´m looking every day to this threat if i can enjoy my mp4 files on my xbox. has something new happen?

edit: all direct show player can play the avc files very easy. they use the nero video decoder as direct show filter. thats easy. does this help?
no.

(joeb @ dec. 11 2004,16:15 Wrote:all direct show player can play the avc files very easy. they use the nero video decoder as direct show filter. does this help?
no, because the xbox sdk (xdk) does not support directshow at all, read this post (link) for detailed explaination and more information
Big Grin 
is nero h.264 avc officially supported in the 12-12-04 expert relase? i made a few test .mp4's to try it and some play but they flicker and skip really bad, while others look like theyre going to play but just show a black screen for like half a second and go back to the video list.
btw the videos ranged from 200-700kbps as they were test files so i doubt its a performance issue (because some wouldnt even show a few frames of the video) and were on the local xbox hdd
i know ffmpeg supports h.264 now but i dont know if they specifically support nero's
anyone know a way to get this properly working? just wait for ffmpeg to support it better? that is my guess Sad
btw i did search the forums but could find nobody else who said that their files partially played
we got a few simple rules on this forum, and one is to always search before asking

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....hl=h264

i did see that post but i decided to start a new topic because i am able to get some to play but not correctly
u said ffmpeg will need to support it, i know ffmpeg supports h264 now but i dont know how well, i just dont know if it is a problem with ffmpeg or mplayer or what, if u r referring to it not being able to play h.264 in an mp4 and only avi well i dont know how to demux the video out of an mp4
there's quite alot of info buried in the thread i gave you.

one is that ffmpeg doesnt support the full h264 specification. i've been told that if you disable certain settings in the advanced encoding profile in nero, they *might* play

nevertheless, this is an mplayer/ffmpeg issue, and thus nothing we will dedicate much time to.

and i didnt know that *some* clips were playable, all i tested did not start (could be they dont use all the settings like i just mentioned, or possibly older encodings, from the ateme betaphase)

Quote:one is that ffmpeg doesnt support the full h264 specification. i've been told that if you disable certain settings in the advanced encoding profile in nero, they *might* play
thanks for the idea ill do some quick tests to see if any of the options are responsible for making it unplayable

update: just did a few quick encodes with a 20sec 352x240 mpg at 400kbps for speed purposes, and strangely enough when i disabled each advanced setting individually (cabac, bidirectional prediction, macroblock partitions, weighted prediction, deblocking, psycho-visual enhancements and lowered motion vectors to lowest) not one of them played! then i disabled everything and still no luck. i have no clue what i did differently that makes the other set i made play (with severe difficulties remember). this is pretty wierd i have 1 set that will play somewhat and i cant get any others to play at all
Star 
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listi...mpeg-devel
        http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum...mpeg-devel
                 http://sourceforge.net/mailarc....id=1506
Quote:from: loic le loarer  
h.264 devel
2004-12-08 23:48  

hello

i have a good experience on h.264 because i have work a lot on a decoder
recently, i"d like to help to improve the h.264 support in ffmpeg, i
could add multi slice support, fmo support, high profile support (8x8
transform, quantiser scale matrix...). i just want to know if anyone is
already working on some of this point so that the work is not done
twice.

best regards.

-- loïc
"heaven is not a place, it"s a feeling"

re: h.264 devel
        2004-12-09 00:26
        on thu, 9 dec 2004, loic le loarer wrote:

> i have a good experience on h.264 because i have work a lot on a decoder
        > recently, i"d like to help to improve the h.264 support in ffmpeg, i
        > could add multi slice support, fmo support, high profile support (8x8
        > transform, quantiser scale matrix...). i just want to know if anyone is
        > already working on some of this point so that the work is not done
        > twice.

thanks, any contribution is appreciated.
        i"m working on finishing b-frame support, but nothing overlapping your
        proposal.
        i can"t speak for anyone else, but i haven"t heard anything about high
        profile being planned.

-- loren merritt
Quote:from: michael niedermayer <michaelni@gm...>
re: h.264 devel
2004-12-17 19:50
hi

on wednesday 15 december 2004 19:50, loic le loarer wrote:
> hello,
>
> here is my first real contribution, this patch add multi slice support
> for main profile h.264 streams. i have tested this on all h264
> conformance streams and comparing the result with the current cvs
> version, there is 8 streams which decode correctly more frames and 2
> streams which are now completely correct with my patch.
>
> this patch also correct some typo in comments.
>
> i hope that my programming is ok and that this patch will be included.

applied

[...]
--
michael

"i do not agree with what you have to say, but i"ll defend to the death your
right to say it." -- voltaire

so we can hope for the xbox support

http://sourceforge.net/mailarc....id=1506
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.264 in MP4 containers (inc. Nero Digital MPEG-4 AVC)0