• 19(current)
[RELEASE] RandomItems (Random Items) Script
Hi guys,

First, thanks for that work that gives a really nice touch to my XBMC.
Second, a little disclaimer : I'm not an advanced user of scripts and so on and totally not gifted in codding.

I'm running Eden with Aeon Nox that seems to be updated automatically thanks to GIT (the current version of my skin is 3.6.0.1346610708).
I'm using widgets in the main menu for Music, Movies (with two menus, one for parents, another for kids, through smart playlistes picking up movies from dedicated folders) and TVShows (same parents & kids).
For music, I'm using the "Random Albums" widget and the "Live CD cases" background and it works fine : albums are displayed randomly and I can refresh while pressing up and then using the right arrow.
For movies I'm using the "Random movies" widget and the "Live DVD cases" background and it is not possible to refresh the list of the 8 suggested movies.
Same for TVShows and "Random episodes" widget and backgroud.

I often have the following error message : "Script Failed! RandomItem.py" sometime while tying to update (albums/movies/episodes), sometimes when launching XBMC, sometimes when watching a movie ...

I suppose the script that is installed on my PC has been installed trough Aeon Nox install as I did not install it individually.
I also suppose, while reading above that it should be updated to v12.0.1 as posted by Ronie.

Here is my noob stupid question :
- how can I know my version of the currently installed script so I'm sure I have to update it? The script isn't listed among add-ons in XBMC ?
- how can I update it properly? I tried the "install from zip file" option in the add-ons menu but have the following error : "Dependencies not met".

Thanks for the help and congrats again for your great work !
(2012-09-04, 23:22)rolapinou Wrote: - how can I know my version of the currently installed script so I'm sure I have to update it? The script isn't listed among add-ons in XBMC ?
you can't. the script will auto update (unless you've disabled that option), so most likely you're running the latest version.

(2012-09-04, 23:22)rolapinou Wrote: - how can I update it properly? I tried the "install from zip file" option in the add-ons menu but have the following error : "Dependencies not met".
you don't have to update. v12.0.1 is only compatible with pre-frodo (nightly builds)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
and only from after a specific date
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Understood.
So to have the really latest script, I shall wait for the next stable version of XBMC ?
Is there any other way to get rid of the RandomItems script error coming up again and again ?
Is it logical that it works fine for music but not for episodes nor movies ?

Thanks for your help and incredibly quick reply !
(2012-09-04, 23:47)rolapinou Wrote: Is there any other way to get rid of the RandomItems script error coming up again and again ?

well maybe, just maybe.... you may have come across a post or two mentioning you should ALWAYS post a debug log when reporting issues on the forum ? ;-)
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Well, fair enough ronie.
As I told, a bit noob I am.

Here is the log, hope it would help : http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=7930
(2012-09-05, 00:08)rolapinou Wrote: Well, fair enough ronie.
As I told, a bit noob I am.

Here is the log, hope it would help : http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=7930

thanx, will fix the issue. :-)
(2012-09-05, 00:59)ronie Wrote: thanx, will fix the issue. :-)

Great. Thanks to you mate.
For info, I have the really same issues on 2 PCs running Win7.
Cheers

Hi everyone,

I've been running a few tests and noticed something strange.

First, I realised that switching from the "official" version of Aeon Nox (on official repo) to the latest GIT version (on passion repo) made the error message disappear.
Well, maybe the problem is still there, as I don't know what kind of link there is between skin versions and script version.

I also realised that the problem I have is that I can't refresh the "result" (movies or episodes list) of a widget that should give random items among a smartplaylist such as Random Movies (VPL) or Random Episodes (VPL)

Here are some details :

I'm using two smartplaylists : one for kids-movies (path to kids-movies directory) and one for parents-movies.

I created Custom Menus for the main-screen linked to the two smartplaylists above, and with the following settings :

Contrarly to indicated on the screenshot, I did choose the "Random Movies (VPL)" widget, and not the "Random Movies" widget.

The widget is working fine (displayin a list of randomly chossen movie inside my smartplaylist) but it's impossible to refresh the contain of the list.

If I switch to the "Random Movies" widget, the list can be refreshed but obviously, movies from outside the smartplaylist are displayed, which I don't want to see (imagine a Saw fanart among your animation movies for kids Undecided).

This goes exactly the same with Random Episodes for TVShows.

Is it "normal" or a well known problem or is there something wrong on my side ?

Thanks for your answers and hopping I did post in the right place (also posted on Aeon Nox thread, in cas it is skin related).

My log : http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=7978
(2012-09-05, 21:48)rolapinou Wrote: Thanks for your answers and hopping I did post in the right place (also posted on Aeon Nox thread, in cas it is skin related).

randomitems doesn't care about smartplaylists.
i think your problematic widgets are using this script:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122448
(2012-09-05, 21:56)ronie Wrote:
(2012-09-05, 21:48)rolapinou Wrote: Thanks for your answers and hopping I did post in the right place (also posted on Aeon Nox thread, in cas it is skin related).

randomitems doesn't care about smartplaylists.
i think your problematic widgets are using this script:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122448

Well outside smartplaylistes it works fine.
Do you mean I shall post to the thread you gave me the link ?
How can I know which widget is using what script ?

thanks for the help
(2012-09-05, 23:01)rolapinou Wrote: Well outside smartplaylistes it works fine.
yup, that's this script
(2012-09-05, 23:01)rolapinou Wrote: Do you mean I shall post to the thread you gave me the link ?
best start for help in the aeon nox thread (as you already did),
they can direct you to the appropriate thread (if needed).
(2012-09-05, 23:09)ronie Wrote:
(2012-09-05, 23:01)rolapinou Wrote: Well outside smartplaylistes it works fine.
yup, that's this script
(2012-09-05, 23:01)rolapinou Wrote: Do you mean I shall post to the thread you gave me the link ?
best start for help in the aeon nox thread (as you already did),
they can direct you to the appropriate thread (if needed).

OK I understand. Without that script I shouldn't have the specific "Random Movie (VPL)" widget available among other in my widgets list, right ?
Wait and see on the skin thread then.
Good night and thanks for the hand !
This script fails constantly... upon XBMC start, while navigating any menu, even watching a video!

here's a debug log snippet of one of the occurrences... http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=8080

I'm using Alpha 5, but it was happening with at least 10 different builds I tried before that.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2012-09-08, 02:32)Livin Wrote: This script fails constantly... upon XBMC start, while navigating any menu, even watching a video!

here's a debug log snippet of one of the occurrences... http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=8080

I'm using Alpha 5, but it was happening with at least 10 diffe.rent builds I tried before that.

and i won't help you because you fail to follow the furim rules and especially mine. do NOT provide code snippets.
you also clearly didn't read the lst pages
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] RandomItems (Random Items) Script2