Sams Image - Questions and problems
defiler Wrote:Toshna - here are my instructions for updating to current SVN. They should work for you. And yes - it sounds like you need to remount that drive as Read/Write.

If it keeps mounting Read-Only on boot, have a look at adding it to your /etc/fstab file - that's what determines which drives get mounted, where, and with which options.

And since you're running Sam's (or Pin's) image, don't chown to root - you're best to either chown to xbmc, or use "chmod o+rw" which will give the "others" group read/write access. Make sure you do this on the folder you're trying to mount as well as the files within.

Since you've overwritten the regular FrontRow drive insinde the ATV, you're good to just chown to xbmc.

OSX does not use /etc/fstab. Here's how the AppleTV works under it's native OS. It's been mentioned several times so pay attention. The AppleTV uses two disk paritions, OSBoot and Media. OSBoot is mounted read only, Media is mounted read/write into the / filesystem. So most areas under / are read only. To mount / read/write you do "mount -uw /", to keep it read/write you make a special hidden file at /. (see http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Mount_ReadWrite). It's best to keep OSBoot read only.

EDIT: I myself am confused as to if Toshna is running atv(osx) or atv(linux), there's a big difference in how to do things. Anyone posting issues or questions will need to indicate which OS they are under. Much less confusing that way.
davilla Wrote:OSX does not use /etc/fstab.[...]

EDIT: I myself am confused as to if Toshna is running atv(osx) or atv(linux), [...]

Yeah - Tooshna asked these questions on the Crystalbuntu thread, but you reckoned it was off-topic (which it probably was, to be fair) so he posted it here. He's running Sam's USB Linux image, copied onto the internal hard drive, and he's trying to mount an external drive via USB. So in this case I think I'm correct. I certainly won't break anything! Smile

Of course you're right in that on this part of the board the assumption will be that people are running the OSX installation, because most people will be, but he did title the thread "Sams image - questions and problems".

Bad kitty! Big Grin
Humm, more thoughts on Tooshna issue with his drive mounting read only. I bet it's HFSPlus Journeled. That always mount read only unless you play some games with it.

It's best to have HFSPlus disks formated with no Journeling as these will automount in Linux read/write.
davilla Wrote:Humm, more thoughts on Tooshna issue with his drive mounting read only. I bet it's HFSPlus Journeled.

Aha - touche! Didn't think of that because I'm usually running Linux on Proliant servers which are all ext2, ext3, ext4 and xfs. Dont know anything about these "foreign" formats (as I think of them).
defiler Wrote:Yeah - Tooshna asked these questions on the Crystalbuntu thread, but you reckoned it was off-topic (which it probably was, to be fair) so he posted it here. He's running Sam's USB Linux image, copied onto the internal hard drive, and he's trying to mount an external drive via USB. So in this case I think I'm correct. I certainly won't break anything! Smile

Of course you're right in that on this part of the board the assumption will be that people are running the OSX installation, because most people will be, but he did title the thread "Sams image - questions and problems".

Bad kitty! Big Grin

That is correct. And I think davilla is right about it being read only because it is a hfs journaled partition. I haven't formatted the drive since it was done by the ATV, when I switched the primary drive to the external drive. I knew it was HFS format but didn't realize it was journaled. So the only way to change the drive to HFS is to reformat it? Could I just copy all my content from the external hard drive with all my movies to another temp drive, format the external, then copy everything back over to the external and the system would recognise all the content and work like normal?

P.S when I try to do 'sudo mount -uw /' it tells me
Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo mount -uw/
mount: invalid option -- u
tooshna Wrote:That is correct. And I think davilla is right about it being read only because it is a hfs journaled partition. I haven't formatted the drive since it was done by the ATV, when I switched the primary drive to the external drive. I knew it was HFS format but didn't realize it was journaled. So the only way to change the drive to HFS is to reformat it? Could I just copy all my content from the external hard drive with all my movies to another temp drive, format the external, then copy everything back over to the external and the system would recognise all the content and work like normal?

P.S when I try to do 'sudo mount -uw /' it tells me
Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo mount -uw/
mount: invalid option -- u

'sudo mount -uw /' is for when you are running under atv(osx). You are running under atv(linux) so that command means nothing.
You appear to need an OS-X machine to disable the journal:

Code:
diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/TheVolumeName

You might be able to force it with:

Code:
mount /dev/sd** /<mount point> -O rw

But since you've scrubbed the internal drive, the safest medium-to-long-term option would be to reformat the drive so long as you have the drive space and the time to do it. Format it as ext3 (or xfs if that's installed). Ext3FS is most widely-supported, but XFS is a high-performance filesystem for handling large files (like video). The difference is very noticeable whilst deleting.
Well I just formatted another external disk as Mac OS Extended (no journaled), connected it ot the ATV, SSH'd in, tried to copy something to the drive and get the same error message as before. Should I try FAT32? would that make any difference?

My etc/fstab file says the following. Not sure if changing something in this will help
Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=53b51eec-0918-4abd-be0d-13d73ead4631 /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda3
UUID=5705e785-146b-4d21-9b08-372a54e1b56c none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
# Mount the Media partition on the ATV internal PATA disk
/dev/sda4    /media/pata    hfsplus     force,rw,user,defaults 0 0
You see how your /dev/sda4 drive has all of the options on the end of it? Make another line like that to mount your external drive. Give it the right device, and the right mount point (obviously), but leave the rest the same and see how you get on.

As I said, I suggest you stick with ext3 - it's totally rock-solid with Linux. That's unless you need to plug it into another computer. But if you can just sling the files across the network you'll be laughing.
defiler Wrote:I suggest you stick with ext3

It does sound good in theory but only a linux operating system can format as ext3, which kinda sucks..

Oh and I would try and add an extra line to fstab but of course i cant write anything to that drive.
tooshna Wrote:It does sound good in theory but only a linux operating system can format as ext3, which kinda sucks..

Oh and I would try and add an extra line to fstab but of course i cant write anything to that drive.

Sams Image IS a linux operating system Smile As is atv-bootloader .
tooshna Wrote:It does sound good in theory but only a linux operating system can format as ext3, which kinda sucks..

Mac

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sams Image - Questions and problems0