SPDIF Possibility, finally?
Hey all,

I've been using the minimal hardy install instructions from the day they came out and have gotten a semi decent xbmc setup with no suspend but played hd with surround sound. Bottom line, I got sound. Now I ditched that setup due to inconsistency and no suspend as mentioned, and got myself full blown Jaunty Ubuntu and set up XBMC from there on the nicely rendered GUI of Ubuntu. I then removed pulse audio support of the system (didn't actually remove pulse audio to make sure the environment was still stable. Then, unmuted all the IEC968 options in alsamixer. My Master, PCM, and Front are all unmuted (Front so I can play analog audio outside). When I went to System>Preferences>Sound, ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) was selected in all the panels, including mixer. I cannot play SPDIF audio even when it clearly is selected in XBMC options. I cannot play any HDMI audio either. Would I be able to add a configuration with HDMI playing sound as well as SPDIF in some kind of asoundrc or asoundconf that's been mentioned in other threads? Everything is working great videowise on my XBMC setup with full Jaunty, so with digital audio I'll finally have a perfectly working XBMC Linux setup to play beautiful HD instead of my rather dated Xboxes Smile
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Please read the sticky about reporting a problem in a more useful manner. We need a lot more information about your soundsetup, so enable debugging and post a FULL debug log to pastebin.com please. Also give us the output of aplay -L and your sound settings in xbmc.

Other than that i think it's impossible to use the hdmi and spdif output at the same time - at least that's true for my soundcard (ALC1200)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Asswipe44 Wrote:Hey all,

I've been using the minimal hardy install instructions from the day they came out and have gotten a semi decent xbmc setup with no suspend but played hd with surround sound. Bottom line, I got sound. Now I ditched that setup due to inconsistency and no suspend as mentioned, and got myself full blown Jaunty Ubuntu and set up XBMC from there on the nicely rendered GUI of Ubuntu. I then removed pulse audio support of the system (didn't actually remove pulse audio to make sure the environment was still stable. Then, unmuted all the IEC968 options in alsamixer. My Master, PCM, and Front are all unmuted (Front so I can play analog audio outside). When I went to System>Preferences>Sound, ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) was selected in all the panels, including mixer. I cannot play SPDIF audio even when it clearly is selected in XBMC options. I cannot play any HDMI audio either. Would I be able to add a configuration with HDMI playing sound as well as SPDIF in some kind of asoundrc or asoundconf that's been mentioned in other threads? Everything is working great videowise on my XBMC setup with full Jaunty, so with digital audio I'll finally have a perfectly working XBMC Linux setup to play beautiful HD instead of my rather dated Xboxes Smile
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

This did the trick for me:
* Install latest alsa (1.20.0) - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810
* Fix so that menu and mp3 sound is working - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35901
Thanks a ton for the info guys. I will post a debug log tonight after work and try the alsa upgrade. One more question: Is it possible to have SPDIF doing digital and analog audio? I want to have it digital when I'm inside in surround sound and analog when outside on a 3-channel speaker.
Nope - SPDIF is the "SONY PHILIPS DIGITAL INTERFACE" or something like that. So digital only.

EDIT: Maybe you can achieve this with some alsa / asoundrc trickery to output to analog and digital outputs at the same time.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Asswipe44 Wrote:Thanks a ton for the info guys. I will post a debug log tonight after work and try the alsa upgrade. One more question: Is it possible to have SPDIF doing digital and analog audio? I want to have it digital when I'm inside in surround sound and analog when outside on a 3-channel speaker.

Not sure what you mean, but if your 3-channel speakers can connect to your spdif it should probably work, if I understand you right. See my second link in the previous post.
What i meant was the 3-channel speaker is connected to my onkyo amp, but it can only play analog, not digital spdif. On my old xbox, I hooked up the spdif as well as the left and right analog cables to get sound on the digital surround inside and analog audio outside at the same time.

Rather dated post, my bad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SPDIF Possibility, finally?0