• 7(current)
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail
I got my TiVo from ebay for about $50 expensive for a remote, unless you consider that it's bluetooth, with 5 programmable IR keys to control my receiver. It's was a pretty serious bit of hacking to get it fully functional on a 2.x linux kernel, but it works perfectly with 3.x kernel.
The xbmc wiki page is fantastic: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TiVo_Slide. I don't know how much more support you could want from xbmc then that. But here's my /lib/udev/keymaps/tivo-slide file.
Code:
#code new_code       button <xbmc_key>
0xc0030 reserved     #TV Pwr <unused>
0xc0082 reserved     #Input <unused>
0xc00e9 reserved     #Volume Up <unused>
0xc00ea reserved     #Voluem Down <unused>
0xc00e2 reserved     #Mute <unused>

0xffff003d homepage  #TiVo <home>
0xFFFF003E refresh   #Live TV <browser_refresh>

0x000C0041 enter     #Select <enter>
0x000c006d z         #Zoom <z>
0x000c0209 props     #Info <i>
0x000C008D compose   #Guide <menu>

0x000C009C pageup    #Ch Up <pageup>
0x000C009D pagedown  #Ch Down <pagedown>

0xffff0041 kpleftparen #Thumbs Down <leftbracket>
0xffff0042 kprightparen #Thumbs up <rightbracket>

0x000C00B2 backspace #Rec <backspace>

0x000C00B1 pause     #|| <pause>
0x000c00b0 play      #> <play_pause>
0x000c00b4 rewind    #<< <rewind>
0x000c00b3 fastforward #>> <fastforward>
0x000C00F5 kpdot     #|> <numpaddivide>

0x000c00b6 back      #Previous <browser_back>
0x000c00b5 forward   #Next <browser_forward>

0x000C006C kp1       #A (YELLOW) <numpadone>
0x000C006B kp2       #B (BLUE) <numpadtwo>
0x000C0069 kp3       #C (RED) <numpadthree>
0x000C006A kp4       #D (GREEN) <numpadfour>
0x0007001e f1        #1 <f1>
0x0007001f f2        #2 <f2>
0x00070020 f3        #3 <f3>
0x00070021 f4        #4 <f4>
0x00070022 f5        #5 <f5>
0x00070023 f6        #6 <f6>
0x00070024 f7        #7 <f7>
0x00070025 f8        #8 <f8>
0x00070026 f9        #9 <f9>
0x00070027 f10       #0 <f10>
0x000700d8 close     #Clear <escape>
0x000c0083 kpenter   #Enter <enter>

0x70059 2            #kp_one <Number1>
0x7005a 3            #kp_two <Number2>
0x7005b 4            #kp_three <Number3>
0x7005c 5            #kp_four <Number4>
0x7005d 6            #kp_five <Number5>
0x7005e 7            #kp_six <Number6>
0x7005f 8            #kp_seven <Number7>
0x70060 9            #kp_eight <Number8>
0x70061 10           #kp_nine <Number9>
0x70062 11           #kp_zero <Number0>
Note: <key>noop</key> is handy for disabling the default behavior of a key in xbmc: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Action_IDs
(2013-08-08, 12:46)Drag0nFly Wrote: It eventually turned out that >$150+ (which the Tivo Slide is selling for) is a ridiculous amount for a remote which I won't even know will work - so I ended up using a PS3 Bluetooth remote instead; which works pretty well–although the XBMC menu sometimes goes crazy as if repeatedly pressing buttons on the remote (a sort of input-feedback-loop). This is on Linux, and esp. noticeable in the weather applet for some reason.

The main drawback with the PS3 remote is obviously that it isn't backlit. Can't believe that there still aren't any backlit bluetooth-based remotes available. (believe me I've looked!)

Thanks for the input @teaguecl & @ozkhan1. (The main thing now keeping me from a perfect XBMC setup is the lack of a glowkeys remote to go with it, but hopefully this will turn up soon)

TivoSlide is a glow key remote. The keys glow when you press any button on the remote and there is an auto timer of (I want to say) 5 seconds before it goes dark.

If you have a windows set up, and seriously need a qwerty remote, and dont mind paying $20 bucks for a software that will make it run apps on yout HTPC (Not just XBMC but pretty much any other media center software) I highly recommend this remote. I realize it is now discontinued so I am going to make sure mine doesnt get broken any time soon. Smile

One of my "need to have" features was I did not want to play with any USB dongles. It does come with a USB dongle but my mac mini has a builtin bluetooth supoprt so I did not have to use it.

Of course it does not work with the MAC OS or Linux, because Intelliremote is a windows only program.You may have to use the several hacks for Linux as posted by nubjub above.

On Windows 7 I have programmed several keys to start/end programs such as XBMC, WMC, Chrome, etc. and I frequently use the qwerty key pad. The intelliremote software comes with all the program profiles so you dont have to do a lot of tinkering and its pretty much plug, install and play.
(2013-10-25, 23:25)ozkhan1 Wrote: If you have a windows set up, and seriously need a qwerty remote, and dont mind paying $20 bucks for a software that will make it run apps on yout HTPC (Not just XBMC but pretty much any other media center software) I highly recommend this remote. I realize it is now discontinued so I am going to make sure mine doesnt get broken any time soon. Smile

Of course it does not work with the MAC OS or Linux, because Intelliremote is a windows only program.You may have to use the several hacks for Linux as posted by nubjub above.

I just had to say something here. Referring to the Linux setup for this remote as a "hack" while praising Intelliremote is just ludicrous. There is literally a driver for this remote built into the kernel as of Linux 3.0! Running a 3rd party commercial piece of software just to re-map your keys? That's a hack!
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.12/drivers/.../rc-tivo.c

On a more productive note, it seems that the Slide has been replaced with the Roamio remote. Like Slide it features IR/RF. The documentation mentions "pairing" which makes it sound like bluetooth like the Slide! Unfortunately it does not come with a dongle, so it might not work on a PC. For $29 I might be willing to experiment...

EDIT: Maybe hold off on the Roamio remote... rumor of a new Slide are floating around!!!
http://7554xysb4c4dxy7u.zippykid.netdna-...remote.jpg
If you look closely, you'll notice it includes a "Back" button!
(2013-11-05, 23:11)teaguecl Wrote:
(2013-10-25, 23:25)ozkhan1 Wrote: If you have a windows set up, and seriously need a qwerty remote, and dont mind paying $20 bucks for a software that will make it run apps on yout HTPC (Not just XBMC but pretty much any other media center software) I highly recommend this remote. I realize it is now discontinued so I am going to make sure mine doesnt get broken any time soon. Smile

I just had to say something here. Referring to the Linux setup for this remote as a "hack" while praising Intelliremote is just ludicrous. There is literally a driver for this remote built into the kernel as of Linux 3.0! Running a 3rd party commercial piece of software just to re-map your keys? That's a hack!
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.12/drivers/.../rc-tivo.c

On a more productive note, it seems that the Slide has been replaced with the Roamio remote. Like Slide it features IR/RF. The documentation mentions "pairing" which makes it sound like bluetooth like the Slide! Unfortunately it does not come with a dongle, so it might not work on a PC. For $29 I might be willing to experiment...

EDIT: Maybe hold off on the Roamio remote... rumor of a new Slide are floating around!!!
http://7554xysb4c4dxy7u.zippykid.netdna-...remote.jpg
If you look closely, you'll notice it includes a "Back" button!

I am not on any payroll here if thats what you are getting at. I simply shared my experience with the device, and also used NUBJuB's words, if the word "hack" offends you so much... too bad for you.

I have not even tried to use it with linux. but from what I read in Nubjub's post, it looks tedious enough. Personally to me, I dont care whats a hack and whats not, as long as it works well and does not involve me pulling my hair out trying to get it to work, I will be happy using the mother of all hacks.

Smile
(2013-10-25, 23:25)ozkhan1 Wrote: I am not on any payroll here if thats what you are getting at. I simply shared my experience with the device, and also used NUBJuB's words, if the word "hack" offends you so much... too bad for you.

I have not even tried to use it with linux. but from what I read in Nubjub's post, it looks tedious enough. Personally to me, I dont care whats a hack and whats not, as long as it works well and does not involve me pulling my hair out trying to get it to work, I will be happy using the mother of all hacks.

The wiki page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TiVo_Slide. provided by xbmc offers clear instructions on how to get it working. My post was not intended to suggest that it is difficult to use the Tivo Slide, the file I posted is a udev keymap, intended as an example of how you might thoroughly remap the remote to fit your specific desires.
I've disabled the keys that also send IR signals so that they control my receiver without sending signals to xbmc. I've changed value of keys that send things the xserver ignores. I've changed the numbers and color keys to special function keys. I've changed the numpad on the keyboard so that it behaves as if numlock is on instead of off. Probably a couple more things too, all of which is obviously above and beyond getting it working.
I'm brand new to xbmc, switching over from Plex.

I'm having issues getting things to work reliably with the slide remote. I follow the instruction in the wiki to the T. Here are the two problems that I'm running into:

1. keymapping won't work. I tried using the tivo-slide map as posted in the wiki, I also tried nubjub's map as posted above in Post 91. In both cases, the remote doesn't follow that mapping (i.e. select working as the enter button, or info working as the I button).

2. The remote stops working wheever I reboot the computer. I need to move it to another port which (sometimes) fixes the issue. Other times, I find things work better if I unplug the BT dongle before rebooting then plug it in when everything is back up. Is there a workaround for this issue?

3. I don't seem to have evtest installed. Do you know how I can get it?

I original installed XBMCbunto 12.2 from the ISO then and ran into these issues. I then upgraded to 12.3 via the posted instructions and the issue persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the last obstacle to getting my xbmc machine up and running!

Thanks.

- EDIT -

Fixed (Item 3) with pkg-add.

I ended up going back to the non-recommended solution of running the remote as a BT device. Takes about a minute to connect when I boot the computer but doesn't seem too bad after that yet, but I haven't really played with the system much as I'm still waiting on some of my NAS hardware to get here to finish the system up. Going to give this a try for a while. If all else fails, I may have to consider going an IR route... which would be a shame because the slide remote is awesome because it has the qwerty keyboard attached.
Can the tivoglo remote be used with xbmc? If answer is no which specifc tivo remote works? This one - https://tivo.com/shop/detail/tivoslidepro ?
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new remote. I've rocked a Logitech Harmony One remote for years and it broke over the spring. I just got into the XBMC world a few months ago and will be integrating Live TV into the set up very soon so I'm looking for a new one. Based on where I have my HTPC I would really like a wireless remote RF / Bluetooth since its too far to run USB cables and I'm in an apartment so I can't just drill holes in the walls either. I've been looking at this remote and was wondering how everyone likes it with a windows 7 setup? Did you guys just use the advanced settings xml file to remap key codes or are you using something like eventghost? What key did you remap to be the STOP button? Also how is the battery lfe, its not crappy like what I read about the PS3 remote is it?
(2014-01-01, 01:29)riteshraja Wrote: Can the tivoglo remote be used with xbmc? If answer is no which specifc tivo remote works? This one - https://tivo.com/shop/detail/tivoslidepro ?

This thread is discussing the now discontinued Tivo Slide remote. As far as I know, nobody has done any work on the Tivo Slide Pro - in fact I didn't even know it was for sale until I saw your post. Maybe we should start a new thread for the Tivo Slide Pro.
Has anyone tried a Slide Pro yet? I have one here, but I have a Roamio so they didn't send me the USB RF dongle when I ordered it.
(2014-01-04, 20:55)eisenb11 Wrote: Has anyone tried a Slide Pro yet? I have one here, but I have a Roamio so they didn't send me the USB RF dongle when I ordered it.
I got the Slide Pro working in XBMC on Linux. I followed the excellent XBMC documentation with one exception: in the step that says to modify the file /etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules I used the value 1203 instead of 1201 for the ID_MODEL_ID value. After reboot, the new mappings worked perfectly.
(2014-01-05, 23:31)organgtool Wrote: I got the Slide Pro working in XBMC on Linux. I followed the excellent XBMC documentation with one exception: in the step that says to modify the file /etc/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules I used the value 1203 instead of 1201 for the ID_MODEL_ID value. After reboot, the new mappings worked perfectly.

Interesting, I may pick up another one of these. I find my regular slide in BT mode doesn't work until about a minute or so after boot up. Does the slide pro have this wait or is it instant since it's RF now?
(2014-01-04, 20:55)eisenb11 Wrote: Has anyone tried a Slide Pro yet? I have one here, but I have a Roamio so they didn't send me the USB RF dongle when I ordered it.

So do you know what we need to order in order to get the USB RF dongle included?
Slide pro is not Bluetooth, is it? It looks like its RF only.
Yes, i believe so.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail3