• 6(current)
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail
I created 95-keymap.rules with the single line from the wiki and placed it in /etc/udev/rules.d/ and I got everything working.

Just to perform a few tests, I deleted the file, put the single line from the wiki page in the /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules and rebooted. Went into XBMC some of the buttons worked but others did not. So I deleted the single line from 95-keymap.rules from the /lib/udev/rules.d/ directory and re-created 95-keymap.rules in the /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory, rebooted and everything seems to be working just fine. So I did a couple of redundant reboots to make sure everything was loading during the boot process correctly, and we are good to go.

So to recap, I followed the wiki instructions including your corrections and everything is ok so far. I left the /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules untouched.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and the wiki. I would have never have figured it out for myself.

One more thing before I go, in the wiki there is this code block:
Code:
0x000C0041 enter     #SELECT
0x000C0069 f2        #C (RED)
0x000C006A f3        #D (GREEN)
0x000C006B f4        #B (BLUE)
0x000C006C f5        #A (YELLOW)
0x000C006D f6        #ZOOM
0x000C0082 f7        #INPUT
0x000C0083 f8        #ENTER
0x000C008D f9        #GUIDE
0x000C009C f10       #CHUP
0x000C009D f11       #CHDN
0x000C00B1 playpause #PAUSE
0x000C00B2 record    #RECORD
0x000C00F5 stop      #SLOW

Can anyone translate that for me. Is this something that can be edited?
(2012-08-15, 04:23)itstonye Wrote: One more thing before I go, in the wiki there is this code block:
Code:
0x000C0041 enter     #SELECT
0x000C0069 f2        #C (RED)
0x000C006A f3        #D (GREEN)
0x000C006B f4        #B (BLUE)
0x000C006C f5        #A (YELLOW)
0x000C006D f6        #ZOOM
0x000C0082 f7        #INPUT
0x000C0083 f8        #ENTER
0x000C008D f9        #GUIDE
0x000C009C f10       #CHUP
0x000C009D f11       #CHDN
0x000C00B1 playpause #PAUSE
0x000C00B2 record    #RECORD
0x000C00F5 stop      #SLOW

Can anyone translate that for me. Is this something that can be edited?

So glad you got it working, it really is a good remote. The code you mention from /lib/udev/keymaps/tivo-slide is called a "udev keymap". It maps physical keypresses into keyboard actions. The first column is the "keycode" of a button on the remote. The third column (after the #) is the description of the button on the remote. The middle column is the action that should be taken. For example take a look at the first line. It says that when you press the key on the remote that is labelled "SELECT", it causes a keycode of 0x000C0041 to be sent, and that udev should translate that into the "enter" key. You can modify this all you want, though I did put some thought into this particular configuration - it gives most keys a unique action. With that being done, it is possible to remap them to XBMC actions using the keyboard.xml - which each person will probably want to tailor to their needs.
(2010-10-09, 01:27)teaguecl Wrote: Note - using Volume as an example, having it transmit both the keyboard and IR when you hit Volume Up is a pain. The volume on both my TV and XBMC go up! I got around this by modifying ~.xbmc/userdata/keyboard.xml to assign the volume_up key to something worthless, an action called "yellow". I wanted to assign it to "nothing", but it seems like there is not a way to tell a key to do nothing.

Thanks for all of the work everyone! Does anyone know what the bluetooth codes are for the buttons that also have ir functionality? I would like to disable the bluetooth power, volume up/down, and mute buttons.
I've been using my awesome TiVo-slide remote and it is awesome.

Every time I restart the media center pc the remote and dongle is not recognized and loaded. When I run sudo evtest I dont see it listed. The only way I can get it to be recognized is to disconnect the USB dongle and plug it into a different USB port. If I plug it in the same port it is not recognized.

Question 1: is anyone else having this problem ?

Question 2: is there a script that could unload and reload the USB devices and check to see if the dongle is loaded.
(2012-08-29, 03:18)itstonye Wrote: I've been using my awesome TiVo-slide remote and it is awesome.

Every time I restart the media center pc the remote and dongle is not recognized and loaded. When I run sudo evtest I dont see it listed. The only way I can get it to be recognized is to disconnect the USB dongle and plug it into a different USB port. If I plug it in the same port it is not recognized.

Question 2: is there a script that could unload and reload the USB devices and check to see if the dongle is loaded.

I haven't heard of this, my guess is it is the motherboard. Check if there are any settings in the bios that might be related, and also try other ports. Usually USB ports on the back of the case behave a little different from the ones on the front. If all else fails, something like this might help: http://superuser.com/questions/141908/ho...t-in-linux
(2012-08-30, 00:23)teaguecl Wrote:
(2012-08-29, 03:18)itstonye Wrote: I've been using my awesome TiVo-slide remote and it is awesome.

I haven't heard of this, my guess is it is the motherboard. Check if there are any settings in the bios that might be related, and also try other ports. Usually USB ports on the back of the case behave a little different from the ones on the front. If all else fails, something like this might help: http://superuser.com/questions/141908/ho...t-in-linux

Itstonye: I am having the same problem. Your solution of switching the usb port for the dongle fixes it for me too. I highly doubt this is a motherboard issue. I am running Lubuntu 12.04.
(2012-08-28, 20:02)tbenst Wrote:
(2010-10-09, 01:27)teaguecl Wrote: Note - using Volume as an example, having it transmit both the keyboard and IR when you hit Volume Up is a pain. The volume on both my TV and XBMC go up! I got around this by modifying ~.xbmc/userdata/keyboard.xml to assign the volume_up key to something worthless, an action called "yellow". I wanted to assign it to "nothing", but it seems like there is not a way to tell a key to do nothing.

Thanks for all of the work everyone! Does anyone know what the bluetooth codes are for the buttons that also have ir functionality? I would like to disable the bluetooth power, volume up/down, and mute buttons.
I never looked for the keycodes for the buttons that work with IR, because they already did what I wanted them to do. I just ran 'evtest' and got these results:
0x000C0030 # POWER
0x000C00E9 # VOLUME_UP
0x000C00EA # VOLUME_DOWN
0x000C00E2 # MUTE
Oh No!!! My Slide died this weekend after a 2-year old visitor got a little rough with it. I went to buy a new one, only to find they've been discontinued! Still available, but at about 3x the normal price. I did buy a $300 Logitech Harmony 900 to replace the Slide a few months ago - but I really hate that remote. It's not programmable enough, and it has serious lag. Crossing my fingers that Tivo is going to announce a replacement model.
(2013-03-06, 19:24)teaguecl Wrote: Oh No!!! My Slide died this weekend after a 2-year old visitor got a little rough with it. I went to buy a new one, only to find they've been discontinued! Still available, but at about 3x the normal price. I did buy a $300 Logitech Harmony 900 to replace the Slide a few months ago - but I really hate that remote. It's not programmable enough, and it has serious lag. Crossing my fingers that Tivo is going to announce a replacement model.

Since upgrading my HTPC from a zotac zbox atom to a core i3, I have started having problems with the USB dongle not always attaching a device and the key presses being a bit erratic... Have yet to find anything that has the same quality feel (the "click" of the remote is wonderful), the convenience of a qwerty keyboard, AND the convenience of bluetooth. My latest attempt has been the xbox 360 media remote.

My friends tell me I have a "problem" with remotes.
Similar to lothos, I'm having an issue where the xbmc 12.1 (raspbmc) is seeing multiple keypresses for a single instance. As well as the Select key no longer working for enter, I have to hit the little enter key in the corner and hold it for a second or two. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
I'm interested in getting this remote (or more specifically, the TivoGlo) for XBMC, and was wondering what the current supported status is?
From looking around I can't seem to get definitive answers on how much work it'll take to get running.

I'm on OSX, btw. (Although running XBMC on Linux is also an option.)

Another point which I can't seem to get the answer to is–does this actually come with the USB dongle? Or is this something one needs in addition to the remote itself? None of Tivo's product specs or Amazon's product pages reference any USB BT/RF receiver in the included accessories.
The Tivo remotes have absolutely zero support for XBMC, though as this thread shows many people have gotten them to work. I have been monitoring this thread, and I authored the Tivo Slide documentation on the wiki, and as far as I can tell nobody has ever tried to use it on OSX. We asked for someone to try on ATV, but never got any volunteers.
The Tivo Slide does come with a USB dongle - actually it used to come with a dongle, since the product has been discontinued. You can still find it online, but at ridiculous prices.
The TivoGlo is not bluetooth based, and therefore does not have a USB dongle - it simply emits IR signals. I would assume Tivo uses standard IR protocols that any IR receiver can catch, but I don't know that for a fact. The Glo never interested me because:
1. It's not RF
2. It has no QWERTY keyboard

I'm sure it's a fine remote, I loved my original Tivo remote from Sony - but that's been 15 years now (man I feel old).
I strongly feel that the only way to build any momentum for using Tivo remotes on XBMC is to create a UI Skin that follows the Tivo user interface paradigm (use the Tivo button to return "home", Left arrow instead of Back button, etc.) Right now you have to re-map all of the keys, and even then there's a lot of mental re-working you have to do since Confluence uses a very different set of commands than Tivo. Of course, it's unclear what the future of separately purchased Tivo remotes is - so maybe it's folly either way.
(2013-05-24, 18:48)teaguecl Wrote: The Tivo remotes have absolutely zero support for XBMC, though as this thread shows many people have gotten them to work. I have been monitoring this thread, and I authored the Tivo Slide documentation on the wiki, and as far as I can tell nobody has ever tried to use it on OSX. We asked for someone to try on ATV, but never got any volunteers.
The Tivo Slide does come with a USB dongle - actually it used to come with a dongle, since the product has been discontinued. You can still find it online, but at ridiculous prices.
The TivoGlo is not bluetooth based, and therefore does not have a USB dongle - it simply emits IR signals. I would assume Tivo uses standard IR protocols that any IR receiver can catch, but I don't know that for a fact. The Glo never interested me because:
1. It's not RF
2. It has no QWERTY keyboard

I'm sure it's a fine remote, I loved my original Tivo remote from Sony - but that's been 15 years now (man I feel old).
I strongly feel that the only way to build any momentum for using Tivo remotes on XBMC is to create a UI Skin that follows the Tivo user interface paradigm (use the Tivo button to return "home", Left arrow instead of Back button, etc.) Right now you have to re-map all of the keys, and even then there's a lot of mental re-working you have to do since Confluence uses a very different set of commands than Tivo. Of course, it's unclear what the future of separately purchased Tivo remotes is - so maybe it's folly either way.
Thanks for this–extremely useful–information. I was actually under the misguided impression that the TivoGlo was just a "glow-keys" upgrade from the Slide, and was 100% certain that it featured RF(!). As a matter of fact I was inches away from placing an order for it. Smile It being infrared-only basically disqualifies it for my use; as the system I'm running XBMC on is sitting in an adjacent room.

And yeah, for the Tivo remotes to be useful they would have to be paired with a skin that replicated the "Tivo-feel" as well. However, from looking at various posts it seemed that they had basic functionality (under Linux), but that some buttons were not functional and required a newer kernel. Glad to now have some firm details on the XBMC compatibility.

I've already done quite some (soul-)searching for the best remote-solution for my XBMC box(en), and thought I finally had found a contender. But alas, it looks like the search goes on. I've already disqualified the Apple Remote (being IR), and the Boxee and countless others for the same reasons. I contemplated getting an additional PS3 remote, but wanted one which had backlighting.

For a while Logitech's Harmony 800 looked like it would be good–although slightly overkill for my use–but then it apparently got discontinued (or only had a limited production run). So my 'remote' is currently a Logitech K800 keyboard–which I admit is rather excellent being RF (great range, no lag or skipped keypresses) and which also features superb keyboard backlighting (static triggered!). The only main drawback is obviously its size. :-)

So if you have any other good alternatives for remotes featuring RF and backlighting, please let me know! (incl. some which might be in the pipeline)
I use the Tivo Slide with my mac mini but I have windows on the mini and it talks through a software called Intelliremote.

I am pretty happy with my setup.
It eventually turned out that >$150+ (which the Tivo Slide is selling for) is a ridiculous amount for a remote which I won't even know will work - so I ended up using a PS3 Bluetooth remote instead; which works pretty well–although the XBMC menu sometimes goes crazy as if repeatedly pressing buttons on the remote (a sort of input-feedback-loop). This is on Linux, and esp. noticeable in the weather applet for some reason.

The main drawback with the PS3 remote is obviously that it isn't backlit. Can't believe that there still aren't any backlit bluetooth-based remotes available. (believe me I've looked!)

Thanks for the input @teaguecl & @ozkhan1. (The main thing now keeping me from a perfect XBMC setup is the lack of a glowkeys remote to go with it, but hopefully this will turn up soon)
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail3