• 4(current)
Manually installing CrystalHD driver/lib/firmware
Riderzzz Wrote:If you have r32661 then it means you're stil using night builds from schss. Try to official builds from xbmc.org. Who knows that gives you a difference.

But I thought we're supposed to use the nightly builds to enable CrystalHD. No?

The official build doesn't support it. Pls correct me if i'm wrong.
ds129 Wrote:But I thought we're supposed to use the nightly builds to enable CrystalHD. No?

The official build doesn't support it. Pls correct me if i'm wrong.

XBMC's official nighties for OSX do support both old and new API. I don't know what schss does.
davilla Wrote:XBMC's official nighties for OSX do support both old and new API. I don't know what schss does.

Ok. Was using the schss build earlier. Now, i ran the following script on atv to add the "official" nightly build to launcher:

Code:
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array-add http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/osx/update_urls.plist

Downloading and installing now...
ds129 Wrote:Ok. Was using the schss build earlier. Now, i ran the following script on atv to add the "official" nightly build to launcher:

Code:
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array-add http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/osx/update_urls.plist

Downloading and installing now...

OK. Installed and rebooted. Now XBMC system info shows 32894M. Yay! Smile

But still NO crystal hd option in Video -> Playback. Sad

Any other ideas that can help me situation please? Any terminal commands that can show exactly that the card is working, and the correct drivers are loaded?

Is there a way for me to tell whether the card I bought is spoilt? I bought it from logicsupply. Cost me 1/3 of the price of the ATV, including shipping. Sigh.
ds129 Wrote:OK. Installed and rebooted. Now XBMC system info shows 32894M. Yay! Smile

But still NO crystal hd option in Video -> Playback. Sad

Any other ideas that can help me situation please? Any terminal commands that can show exactly that the card is working, and the correct drivers are loaded?

Is there a way for me to tell whether the card I bought is spoilt? I bought it from logicsupply. Cost me 1/3 of the price of the ATV, including shipping. Sigh.

If you used it without problems with r26 before and if you're kextstat is showng now an older version and you have been copying then i would say smth went wrong with the drivers.

I'm not a pro in this stuff, but i would reinstall r26 drivers again and then copy the 4 files with the commands posted earlier in my post.
Then with kextstat it should show 3.5.0. If so, then check if xbmc is having the option for enabling crystalHD.

ATM you are searching for an error what could be everywhere.

but atleast you're running now on the official xbmc.org revision.
Riderzzz Wrote:If you used it without problems with r26 before and if you're kextstat is showng now an older version and you have been copying then i would say smth went wrong with the drivers.

I'm not a pro in this stuff, but i would reinstall r26 drivers again and then copy the 4 files with the commands posted earlier in my post.
Then with kextstat it should show 3.5.0. If so, then check if xbmc is having the option for enabling crystalHD.

ATM you are searching for an error what could be everywhere.

but atleast you're running now on the official xbmc.org revision.

OMG. You guys are gonna kill me.

Riderzzz, instead of reinstalling r26. I went on to delete all the .bin and .dylib files from /usr/lib.

Then, I went on to delete the broadcomcrystalhd.kext file from System/Library/Extensions. That's when i found out the my broadcomcrystalhd.kext was a "directory" and not a file. So, as davilla pointed to me way early, that broadcomcrystalhd.kext should be in

Code:
System/Library/Extensions/

and NOT:

Code:
System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext/

Big mess up on my part. Many apologies.

So, using riderzzz's copy commands earlier in this thread, I copied the files from 2.0.0 into my atv, rebooted, and bam... Allow hardware acceleration (CrystalHD) is now available in Video->Playback.

Many many thanks again davilla and riderzzz. Smile
i keep running into this everytime i do the sudo cp stuff... just tells me it's read only...
i do a kextstat and it's still the old driver, so nothing is being updated...
it won't let me overwrite the kext in the /system/library/extensions/ and it won't let me overwrite the items that need to go into the /usr/lib directory... just "read only"

any ideas?

all the files from the 2.0 zip are in the frontrow directory...

ls of the frontrow directory
Code:
Applications            Scripts
BroadcomCrystalHD.kext        TV Shows
Documents            Updates
Downloads            Video Playlists
FirefoxInstallScript.sh        atvmore
Launcher-3.2.1-debug.run    bcm70012fw.bin
Library                bcm70015fw.bin
Motor Sports            libcrystalhd.dylib
Movies                nitotv
Music                patchlog
Music Playlists            turbo_atv_enabler.bin
Pictures

kextstat
Code:
77    0 0x30a93000 0xb000     0xa000     com.broadcom.crystalhd.driver (0.9.26) <5 4 3 2>
Raider Wrote:i keep running into this everytime i do the sudo cp stuff... just tells me it's read only...

sudo mount -uw /
tuckbodi Wrote:sudo mount -uw /

is there anything more to do or just type that in? i'm a terminal cut and paster Oo
guess that worked... kextstat now shows 3.5.0 Smile
My BCM70015 card arrived today (yay!)

Unfortunately it's not showing up yet in Video/Playback. I fear that I've just done something silly like the previous poster. Smile

Here's what I've got:

-ATV
-Build r32894
-The magic crystalhd-for-osx-2.0.0.zip
-BCM70015

What I've done:
- Installed the card
-uploaded all files into the /tmp folder
-executed Turbo_Enabler
- Performed these instructions through Putty:
sudo cp -r BroadcomCrystalHD.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo -S chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
sudo -S chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
- This created a FOLDER called BroadcomCrystalHD.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions
sudo cp libcrystalhd.dylib /usr/lib/
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libcrystalhd.dylib
sudo cp bcm70015fw.bin /usr/lib/ (note I didn't upload the bcm70012fw.bin since I don't have that card)
- Verified files were there via WinSCP
- Rebooted

I've read about doing a kextstat test...but I don't know how to execute that utility. I get a "command not found" when I run it from the root...

It was suggested on p19 that the .kext should be a file located in /Sys/Lib/Ext but I don't see a .kext file anywhere in the zip or in the directory tree.

What next?
So I apparently had an rc.local file in /etc with 0 bytes.

I created one in NotePad with the following content:
# rc.local
/sbin/turbo_atv_enabler.bin

/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

Saved it as rc.local and replaced the one in /etc with this file.

Then performed these actions:
sudo touch /etc/rc.local
sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.local
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

It's now weighing in at 113 bytes

Still nothing in Video/Playback though Sad
Scott B Wrote:My BCM70015 card arrived today (yay!)

Unfortunately it's not showing up yet in Video/Playback. I fear that I've just done something silly like the previous poster. Smile

Here's what I've got:

-ATV
-Build r32894
-The magic crystalhd-for-osx-2.0.0.zip
-BCM70015

What I've done:
- Installed the card
-uploaded all files into the /tmp folder
-executed Turbo_Enabler
sudo cp -r BroadcomCrystalHD.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo -S chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
sudo -S chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
- This created a FOLDER called BroadcomCrystalHD.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions
sudo cp libcrystalhd.dylib /usr/lib/
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libcrystalhd.dylib
sudo cp bcm70015fw.bin /usr/lib/ (note I didn't upload the bcm70012fw.bin since I don't have that card)
- Verified files were there via WinSCP
- Rebooted

I've read about doing a kextstat test...but I don't know how to execute that utility. I get a "command not found" when I run it from the root...

It was suggested on p19 that the .kext should be a file located in /Sys/Lib/Ext but I don't see a .kext file anywhere in the zip or in the directory tree.

What next?

kextstat is installed as part of binutils from atvusb-creator. How did you patch your AppleTV ?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Manually installing CrystalHD driver/lib/firmware0