Upgrading from XBMCLive to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and XBMC
Just thought I would post this as some may find it interesting.
Specs of original install:
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2
AMD+2 4000 CPU
1GB of memory
40GB IDE HD and a DVD rom drive using and IDE to SATA interface. didn't have an IDE cable for the CD rom drive in the parts bin.

XBMC 9.11 R26018 Compiled Dec 24 2009
Operating system LINUX 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 0...

The joys of upgrading or is it upgrading sideways.

I spent 12 hours, consumed more caffeine than is healthy, trying to upgrade. I followed this thread But failed.
I then re-installed XBMCLive 9.11 and tried to go the upgrade to ubuntu 10.04 LTS first route. Using this How To .
But Found that a few steps where not quite correct for me. So re-installed and used the corrected steps and got about half way, so that didn't work either. Also in the XBMCfreak how to it forgets to tell you this can take a long time to do.

I finally said some words referring to certain parts of the body. And downloaded ubuntu 10.04 from the Ubuntu website . Went for the 32 bit install . Then installed XBMC from the synaptic package manager. but you can also do it via this how to I did find once I had updated the NVIDIA graphics drivers it needed a reboot.
I also installed adobe flash plugin via the package manager,and BBC iPlayer now plays in full screen mode from firefox.
The Ubuntu 10.04 install is a breeze. It makes a windose install similar to pulling teeth with pliers.
The only problem is that this version of XBMC failed to see my NAS, even though XBMCLive saw it. But that was solved by typing it in manually in the add source dialog.
So I have happy kids, they are watching Barbieat the moment. I have a few more grey hairs and have more caffine inside me than I know what to do with. But its done.
So before you decide to upgrade or even install XBMC do your research carefully.
So xbmc or xbmclive. Well if you think you also need the benefits of a full blown os rather than a minimal os, then Install Ubuntu and install XBMC afterwards. But if you just want to play media then go for XBMCLive.
Be wary though some plugins may require a newer build than XBMCLive, so check that too. Also you can always use XBMC from a usb stick or CD to test.
So any differences. The machine runs slightly cooler. CPU is about 2 degrees cooler, and hard drive is running 3 to 6 degrees cooler.

Hope this will be some help to other Noobs and maybe some not so noobs.

Qapla'

Oh almost forgot
specs of new version are
Hardware still the same.
XBMC 9.11 R26018 compiled Aug 19 2010
operating system Linux 2.6.32-24 Generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu 19 Aug 2010
Total uptime since upgrade 1 day 13 hours 40 minutes.
And I am drinking a cup of tea. Big Grin
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
Glad you got it working. I've had a LOT of problems going to Lucid, but I've about got it dialed in now. For those who do not have the patience or can't deal with their system being down for a week or so (depending on your time), then wait for the XBMCLive build when Dharma is released.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from XBMCLive to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and XBMC0