converting mkv to mp4
hey folks

plz drop me a hint here:
I need a command line tool for AppleTV for converting MKV files (which the appleTV doesnt like) to mp4 / divx files.
of course I could use a gui tool on my PC but I would like to do the conversion on the apple free-bsd os since all the torrentz are downloaded straight to my appletv hd.

any ideas?
Thanks a ton
Simon
ffmpeg.
I was able to download the mencoder binary to my appletv.

can anyone tell me what is the command line syntax for converting MKV to MP4

without quality loss?
thanks again
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -o out.mp4 input.mkv
pray there's no b frames ;P
Michel Wrote:mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -o out.mp4 input.mkv

Hmm, with "MEncoder Sherpya-SVN-r31170-4.2.5" on Windows that immediately GPFs.

JR
I wonder how long that would take on ATV
spiff Wrote:ffmpeg.

Speaking as an ffmpeg beginner:

ffmpeg -i "My Film.mkv" "My Film.mp4"

works, though you'll need to provide some extra info to get whatever quality you want e.g.

ffmpeg -b 2000k -i "My Film.mkv" "My Film.mp4"

seems to work well for my 720p films. More experienced ffmpegers can probably suggest improvements to my command.

JR
hey again

I've tried to run the command above using the ffmpeg and it gives me an error "unknown format"

mkv file properties are:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x536 23.98fps [Video]
Audio: DTS 48000Hz 6ch [Audio]

any ideas?
used a newer verison of ffmpeg

now experimenting with command line options

if any1 knows how to keep ac3 5.1 and dts with same video bitrate in the output mp4 file, plz drop me a note

thanks
Simon
As long as you're not changing codecs, just remux the file with MP4Box. Simple.

EDIT: And if you are changing codecs, it's impossible to do that without losing quality.
sarbel Wrote:used a newer verison of ffmpeg

now experimenting with command line options

if any1 knows how to keep ac3 5.1 and dts with same video bitrate in the output mp4 file, plz drop me a note

thanks
Simon

If you are using ffmpeg, you could just use the switch -acodec copy. That would just copy the audio stream from the input file to the output file, without any transcoding.

You need then to be sure that the final file is "playable" on the AppleTV, since I am not sure what kind of audio codec is possible to have inside an mp4 file.

More info on FFMPEG: here and here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
converting mkv to mp40