External Hard Drives
I got a 1TB and 1.5TB external hard drive with my media which I want to connect to my shuttle and add them as sources. It seems most people here stream media from a networked drive which of course sounds great but its a bit out of my budget at the minute.
I was wondering what the best file structure would be for these external drives. They came ntfs (or became them when I updated them from my windows machine) but would fat32/exfat be better? Or is there any harm in keeping them ntfs?
Thanks
Leave them NTFS. That will allow you to have 4GB+ HD movies, but it'll also allow you to connect them easily to other computers (which you may not be able to do with exFAT, as Windows XP requires a patch, and I'm not sure if other OSes can handle it).
Thanks Yoda, was hoping someone would say that. I tried to convert my WD 1tb drive to exfat during the week and it gave me nothing but trouble since. Luckily I got it back to NTFS after alot of trouble and many 12hr+ formats/diagnostics/diskrepairs later
Nothing to do with your problem but make sure you reserve the drive letter for each drive so they always get the same letter and never swap round
>>X<<' Wrote:Nothing to do with your problem but make sure you reserve the drive letter for each drive so they always get the same letter and never swap round

yep learned this the hard way today when i accidentally removed my usb drive instead of my mouse and when I came back.. all gone Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External Hard Drives0