• 2(current)
[RELEASE] Bootable Disk Wizard (BDW) - XBMC Live Bootable Flash Disk Creator Addon
Hi,

I'd like to install onto my 8GB SSD drive (which is not removable).
When I try it says that no removable drive was found.

Is there any way around this? Thanks.

Regards,
Michal

EDIT: Umm.... Never mind... Even though I specifically looked for an install option in the GRUB menu and have booted it up about 20 times in the last 2 hours, I managed to miss the option. Perhaps I need a coat-hanger and a DIY lobotomy.
Now I'm stuck on trying to get my original XBOX Remote with dongle working under the installation to hard disk.

I've done this before on many full Ubuntu + XBMC installations but I've either forgotten or something has changed.

Is/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/ supposed to contain a keymap for the Xbox Remote? If so it doesn't seem to, and I can't find it anywhere.

Any help greatly appreciated.

P.S. Even though I've set up lirc as in the past when I run irw and press buttons on the rmote I get nothing. This concerns me greatly as I'm certain I should be getting something.

EDIT: Wow.. All I have to do is post after hours of frustration and I figure out the problem within minutes. The onboard Soundgraph was lirc0 and I switched the config to point to lirc1.. Problem solved. Later I will figure out how to use lirc0 directly (I've also done this beofre so now that I'm more than half way there I should be fine).
au41011 Wrote:Finally booted XBMC from the CD on the Revo, and used the Boot Disk Wizard under Programs to create a bootable disk on an 8gb SD Card. Awesome!! Works a treat. Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge here, but I found it simplest if you create the bootable disk from the machine you actually intend to use it on?!

Now, I also tried to do this to a USB Portable Disk, but the Boot Disk Wizard cannot see the device, despite the Pop Up in the bottom right corner displaying 'Mounted portable harddrive'. I formatted the disk as NTFS, FAT32 and EXT4 and tried each time but the BDW still displays 'Cannot find any suitable removable disks'.

I was asked to post this under here as I originally posted this as part of another post under 'Dharma live test results'

It may be worth noting that I can see the USB Portable drive in the terminal, and XBMC can see the drive to add as a media source....just the BDW can't see it.....
External HDDs on USB enclosures, or similar, are not seen as removable hard drives thus not considered as valid targets for BDW.
OK - thanks for the clarification. Perhaps a statement declaring which data media types will work could be useful on the BDW splash screen, as at the moment it just says 'disk'?
Hi,

Tried this script on my thumb drive (Transcend 4 Gb JetFlash 600) and got very strange results. grub takes about 2(!) minutes to load kernel and initrd files Huh

This is remarkably long time; my current xbmc setup on the other thumb drive (also Transcend 4 gig JF600) takes only about 10 seconds to load those files.

Has anyone have same load times?

Update: It seems that the problem is in bootloader, grub2. I tried to install different bootloaders on that thumb drive and lilo, grub, syslinux all loads kernel and initrd in ~10 secs. Regardless of filesystem (I tried fat32,ext2, ext3). But when I install grub2 - Boot menu->run XBMC live->Thumb drive's activity led flashing for ~2 minutes->kernel loading.
Luigi,

Will the usb drive created you also allow to install?
yes indeed!
l.capriotti Wrote:yes indeed!

And is it possible to run BDW off a installed system (without cd- or dvd-player) in order to create a usb install? If so which options do I need to set?

Update: it's working! I'm copying the content from one usb device to another! Very nice Smile
more verbose explanation: BDW can create a bootable removable disk copying the whole content of the LiveCD onto the disk. All functionalities remain intact, ie live system and installer works as on the CD - maybe you will appreciate the speed increase.. Wink
This is how you can install on a machine with no optical drive: create a bootable disk on any PC and use it on the (optical)diskless one.
One particular thing is that you can run BDE from a previously created removable disk; in that case though all changes applied to the base system will be lost, ie the permanent storage file will not be copied. However, the XBMC profile, as well as any custom hooks will.
l.capriotti Wrote:more verbose explanation: BDW can create a bootable removable disk copying the whole content of the LiveCD onto the disk. All functionalities remain intact, ie live system and installer works as on the CD - maybe you will appreciate the speed increase.. Wink
This is how you can install on a machine with no optical drive: create a bootable disk on any PC and use it on the (optical)diskless one.
One particular thing is that you can run BDE from a previously created removable disk; in that case though all changes applied to the base system will be lost, ie the permanent storage file will not be copied. However, the XBMC profile, as well as any custom hooks will.

Thanks for you explanation!
vinnithebear Wrote:Hi,

Tried this script on my thumb drive (Transcend 4 Gb JetFlash 600) and got very strange results. grub takes about 2(!) minutes to load kernel and initrd files Huh

This is remarkably long time; my current xbmc setup on the other thumb drive (also Transcend 4 gig JF600) takes only about 10 seconds to load those files.

Has anyone have same load times?

Update: It seems that the problem is in bootloader, grub2. I tried to install different bootloaders on that thumb drive and lilo, grub, syslinux all loads kernel and initrd in ~10 secs. Regardless of filesystem (I tried fat32,ext2, ext3). But when I install grub2 - Boot menu->run XBMC live->Thumb drive's activity led flashing for ~2 minutes->kernel loading.

I experience the same slow boot time from 4gb thumb drive on Acer Revo. Did you find a solution to this?
I tried this also and it worked fine but I'm getting the long boot time as others are. I'll take a look at the ubuntu log. I haven't tried messing with it yet as I haven't rebooted much.
Sad 
The only working solution of slow booting from thumedrive for me was installing another bootloader - syslinux. Grub legacy is not all right for xbmc-live, because it doesn't support long lines of kernel parameters AFAIK.
A little debug I tried (basically by putting some echo messages to grub2 config) showed that the problem exists only for loading kernel and initrd images, after which the booting process is going just fine. Actually I was tinkering with it since I first tried xbmc, but still no luck with grub2. After all I ended up with netboot with pxelinux Big Grin
Tried it in Dharma Beta 3, and it didn't work for me. It just stuck at "Copying System Files"

I left it for 15 minutes, and nothing changed.

Am I doing something wrong?
Mini-ITX HTPC: Zotac IONITX-A (GF9400), Mini-Box M350, 2x512MB DDR2-533, 160GB 2.5" HD, XBMC Live 10.1, 20W/30W (Idle/Max)
Media Server: 2x2GB DDR2-800, 6x2TB WD20EARS, FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC1
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Bootable Disk Wizard (BDW) - XBMC Live Bootable Flash Disk Creator Addon1