• 4(current)
[RELEASE] Bootable Disk Wizard (BDW) - XBMC Live Bootable Flash Disk Creator Addon
l.capriotti Wrote:would you pls test the script using a different USB disk?

Tried with a different USB stick and that failed in the creating permanent storage step. Tried again with the original USB stick. But this time formatted the disk in windows first (had a previous installation of XBMC Live created by unetbootin on it) and then tried. It was successful finally!
I also made a Dharma Live Beta 4 - Live CD and installed it straight to a 8Gb USB flash drive (Scandisk Cruzer). The BDW worked like a charm.
I love it.
The only issue I'm having is that a mp4 and an avi file have no audio at all.
(edit) now ALL audio is gone. I am reinstalling Live CD to USB flash drive.
The system is running on an Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard and has 2Gb of DDR2800 memory. I am using the HDMI output to a Samsung plasma.
I have searched for and read about every HDMI sound issue and cannot find a solution that works.
Oh yeah, It takes about 2 minutes to load if I reboot, but I leave it on 24/7 so it doesn't bother me.

P.S. A total Linux rookie. Commands make no sense, so I just do what I read other people have done. It sucks. I need Linux for dummies.

Thanks for making the BDW for dummies like me.
Posting debug log if anyone is interested.
http://pastebin.ca/1990820
I found an old 80Gb hard drive with XP still installed on it.
I installed the Windows version of xbmc and I can use my
Logitech touch mouse app for my iphone to control the whole thing.
Just works now. Very cool.
I have stuff to do.
Sorry Linux..to much work.
I also spend half a day trying to install XBMC Live on a no cdrom computer.

I didn't manage to find the BDW (strange the whole tread is about it... )
What worked for me is to format the USB drive with "HP USB device format tool"

It was mentioned in another post. I just confirm it worked. I was trying to format under Win 7
I tried to get BDW to work for me on a no-optical drive system. In BDW's options, I selected use custom Live directory. Pointed to the directory I extracted the .iso into. When I ran xbmc as usual and tried to use BDW, I got an error that my flash drive could not be unmounted. checking the debug log showed that the standard xbmc user did not have sufficient access to unmount. So I ran "sudo xbmc" from terminal. I was now able to get to the "Creating Disk" screen. I left this run overnight, but never got past the "partitioning and formating the disk" step. Tried again a couple more times, but never got past that step.

So I bit the bullet and rustled out an old box with a cd drive. I burned the live iso to a disc and ran BDW from there. created the bootable stick first try, no hassle.
I just wanted to say thanks again for this Add-On. I was able to download XBMC-Live (Dharma) ISO, boot it in Virtualbox, and use BDW to create USB Boot Disk. In the past I had trouble with BDW hanging during 'copying files' through a virtual machine, but with the latest version that appears to be fixed.

From start to finish, I had my Zotac Ion unit reloaded in under an hour!

Thanks again.
I have the slow boot issue, it takes about 2 minutes to load the system.
Is there any workaround for this?
Except this, all system works and installs without problems and is perfect!!
Nice work.
I used Dharma final LiveCD to create a bootable USB stick. The process went without problems, but when I try to boot my Revo from said stick, i get a message:
"This is not a bootable drive. Please insert a bootable floppy and try again..."

What gives?
gpulido Wrote:I have the slow boot issue, it takes about 2 minutes to load the system.
Is there any workaround for this?
Except this, all system works and installs without problems and is perfect!!
Nice work.

Its normal behavior. What did you expect to happen? The OS has to be loaded from a compressed format and it takes awhile to uncompress. You can try to improve it some by getting a faster drive.
Quote:Its normal behavior.

I am not sure it is... there is a bug in grub2 that makes it very slow to boot from a USB if you have another disk available. Very strange and I never quite understooed why ubuntu went for grub2 while it is still in beta.

I am not sure this apply to a live USB but on a normal installation on usb you get a black screen for 1-2min between the grub menu and that xbmc starts loading.
Quote:"This is not a bootable drive. Please insert a bootable floppy and try again..."

What gives?

Just to be sure.....you do get a different result if you boot without the usb plugged in..or not?
Yes, if I choose to boot from the internal HDD, everything works fine.
vikjon0 Wrote:Very strange and I never quite understooed why ubuntu went for grub2 while it is still in beta.

GRUB has been replaced. GRUB development has stopped and is no longer supported. GRUB2 is the official replacement for GRUB.
costi Wrote:I used Dharma final LiveCD to create a bootable USB stick. The process went without problems, but when I try to boot my Revo from said stick, i get a message:
"This is not a bootable drive. Please insert a bootable floppy and try again..."

What gives?

Okay, I did some testing and it appears the USB stick works fine on a Dell laptop and my desktop. Only my Revo 3610 gives the floppy disk message. Anyone have a clue why?
Can the fact that on the HDD of the Revo another copy of XBMC Live is installed have anything to do with it?

EDIT: solved it. Looked into the bios and it turns out the Revo was emulating USB drives of 2GB or less as a floppy. Switched it to "hard disk" and it started fine.
FishOil Wrote:Its normal behavior. What did you expect to happen? The OS has to be loaded from a compressed format and it takes awhile to uncompress. You can try to improve it some by getting a faster drive.

I don't think is normal as the Xbmc-live without installation only takes 10 secs in load from an usb and I suppose it has to ucompress too.
I've made some search and the grub2 appears to have load problems with usb drives...
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Bootable Disk Wizard (BDW) - XBMC Live Bootable Flash Disk Creator Addon1