Need 1080p, noiseless nettop
Question 
Hi

I currently use appletv, and it works great but I do want something new with more grunt and be capable of 1080p out of the box,

I got my atv streaming though smb or bonjour ( or whatever the apple smb equivalent is) of my time capsule, which works well enough - but it has some limitations.

I hade a look at zotacs and acers both have there pros and cons, I was going for the zotac till I found out it has a noise issue Sad

I also don't want to build one.

So any recommendation would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
I have an acer revo 3610 and have yet to experience any issues with 1080p playback and XBMC Live.

I can barley hear any noise from my Acer, but then again I always have my sound system on high when watching from it.
If noise is your primary concern (as is mine) - have a look at the ION powered Shuttle XS35's - rare as hens teeth at the moment - but I'm hoping to get one soon here in Australia myself.
Anyone have any comments about the revo 3610? I've seen a few people saying they run live on it, but what about XBMC over Windows? How slow are these things for general purpose computing as well, like doing some casual browsing etcetera?

What about built in IR? I dont see anything about a receiver on the revo, which makes the form factor a little bit less attractive ...

thanks for any thoughts, I want to pull the trigger on something Smile
Noise is a concern as I will leave it on all the time, and dont want to hear any noise while everything else is off.

I will checkout the Shuttle XS35.

I can get the Acer now but from what I heard the ION1 chip is getting replcaced by ION2 which has better energy saving features for those that wont switch it off.

Cheers
Current setup:

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
Ilia Wrote:Noise is a concern as I will leave it on all the time, and dont want to hear any noise while everything else is off.

I will checkout the Shuttle XS35.

I can get the Acer now but from what I heard the ION1 chip is getting replcaced by ION2 which has better energy saving features for those that wont switch it off.

Cheers

The Ion 2 has been a major flop. You might as well stick with the apple tv before switching to the Ion 2.
Ilia Wrote:I can get the Acer now but from what I heard the ION1 chip is getting replcaced by ION2 which has better energy saving features for those that wont switch it off.

Not correct, see here:
TDP Comparison of Atom Platforms
http://www.linuxtech.net/features/intel_...comparison
buzz_kill Wrote:The Ion 2 has been a major flop. You might as well stick with the apple tv before switching to the Ion 2.

Why? I have ION2...
buzz_kill Wrote:The Ion 2 has been a major flop.

Really? Based on what? I wouldn't say its an evolutionary jump from ION1, but it certainly meets all the needs of a XBMC capable chipset.
I use a new mac mini (2010) it is stylish small, inaudible and works great!
smalla Wrote:I use a new mac mini (2010) it is stylish small, inaudible and works great!

And costs an arm and a leg, no thanks!
Mac mini is a bit of an overkill plus its pricey, I am looking for something that I can chuck a xbmc live disk in, install it and never deal with it again - a noon proof solution Smile

The shuttle is looking good at the moment, anyone selling them in Aus?
Current setup:

Previous setup:
bluenote Wrote:Anyone have any comments about the revo 3610? I've seen a few people saying they run live on it, but what about XBMC over Windows? How slow are these things for general purpose computing as well, like doing some casual browsing etcetera?

What about built in IR? I dont see anything about a receiver on the revo, which makes the form factor a little bit less attractive ...

thanks for any thoughts, I want to pull the trigger on something Smile

I have a Revo 3610, 2GB RAM and 160GB disk, with Win7 and Dharma beta 1. It plays 1080p just fine and is very quiet. If you put your head next to it you can hear the noise of the disk and fan but it is inaudible from my armchair.

IE7 seems to run at about normal speed though it takes a bit longer to start than on my workstation. I use a Microsoft MCE remote with the USB receiver tucked under the TV.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need 1080p, noiseless nettop0