Help with Vostro 220 HTPC mod
So does anyone have any input with this build? I am ready to dive in.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Sorry about the delay in response.

maddog808 Wrote:case:$39 shipped
mobo/cpu:$120 shipped after MIR
memory:$80 shipped

Get a OCZ SSD, and you just rebuilt my HTPC. Doesn't matter what OCZ- cheaper is still plenty fast. My HTPC works great with the exact same parts (except I have kingston ram which is no difference) so you should be fine.

Quote:Also, do you have any experience integrating PVR into the Frontend? I have searched and read some about this, but I come away not much less confused than when I started. I would like to be able to watch and/or record high definition local stations (ATSC). Just not sure where this Tuner card or USB stick should be installed. Huh

You might not want to hear this, but the best option here is just to wait.

In the release after Dharma XBMC is incorporating a PVR branch that adds in the ability to watch/record local stations with TVheadend as a backend.

But today that branch is far too unstable, and I really don't want to recommend it. Even worse, most of the developers are European and so I can never get a straight answer of what USB or PCI card would work with TVheadend and ATSC.

I promise after the PVR branch hits stable I want PVR functionality too, and I will buy every damn hauppauge on the market if I have to in order to find what works with that future XBMC. Once I find what works, I will throw out recommendations.

The best recommendation now is patience, in the 6 months to a year range. I would hate to recommend a tuner that won't be supported in the future (like my HDhomerun).

Quote:The best recommendation now is patience, in the 6 months to a year range. I would hate to recommend a tuner that won't be supported in the future (like my HDhomerun).

Thanks for the reply. I have no problem waiting for a PVR solution. I guess I can do what these
guys are doing with SortTV and ShowRSS for a temporary (maybe permanent?) workaround. What I will need the tuner for more than anything is live sporting events.

I just read some recent posts here about Boxee Box for $199, and all I need now is someone here to talk me into building my own box for more $$$. What would be the pros/cons to doing either in your opinion?

Thanks again for your time helping me out. Big Grin

Matt
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
maddog808 Wrote:What I will need the tuner for more than anything is live sporting events.

I agree with that, and I live with XBMC's limited HDHomerun support for that purpose.

Quote:I just read some recent posts here about Boxee Box for $199, and all I need now is someone here to talk me into building my own box for more $$$. What would be the pros/cons to doing either in your opinion?

Pros to built box:

- Guaranteed to work the first day, Boxee box might take a while for an easy install/use process for XBMC to get worked out. You never know- the Boxee folks might use some closed driver or something at the last minute that makes it a pain

- Upgradable. The mobo you linked to can be upgraded with either a PCIe tuner or a PCIe GPU (for something like 3D or whatever one day). Boxee box is what it is, maybe gets USB upgrades

- Probably better XBMC performance (especially with a nice SSD)

- ION might be more flexible with content than what the Boxee box offers decoding-wise. VDPAU is by far the most flexible backend.

- Remote that I guarantee will hate (of all the brands I am a fanboy of, nothing beats my Harmony love)

- The fun of the build!!!!

Cons to built box:

- Thanks to the low price and marketing push of the Boxee people, that box will be VERY popular here soon after release. If you can wait, someone will get it to work good and I bet within 6 months a special Boxee Box distro is rolled out

- More expensive

- Inferior styling, that boxee box looks better than most Mini ITX cases out there

- Has a remote that many are excited about

- Boxee people are cool folks, I like the idea of supporting them.

Beats an AppleTV any day of the week......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Vostro 220 HTPC mod0