[WINDOWS] Portable Mode of Dharma?
Question 
Hey guys,
im new to your forums, though i'm not new to xbmc. But it's the first time, I can't figure out what to do.

Im running a portable xbmc installation on Windows 7 and tried to update to Dharma beta 1.
After the installation process, xbmc uses a new and empty database instead of my old one, all prefrences are gone. Before I installed, I did a backup of my old installtion. I tried to add the "-p" arguement to the link, but it didn't work.
So, I need to know is, how I can put Dharma into portable mode, to make it use the userdata-folder inside the installation's folder.

Thanks in advance Smile

Chris
Look inside the xbmc directory you should see a folder called "portable_data" that's where userdata now goes
Thanks a lot, everything is working again Smile
>>X<<' Wrote:Look inside the xbmc directory you should see a folder called "portable_data" that's where userdata now goes

I am using Dharma B3 on WinXP and cant find any such folder under program files >> XBMC ...

Do u have an absolute path? I want to make my current install into portable.

Anil
agarg Wrote:I am using Dharma B3 on WinXP and cant find any such folder under program files >> XBMC ...

Do u have an absolute path? I want to make my current install into portable.

Anil

Run XBMC with the -p argument and it will create the portable_data for you in the correct place.

JR
I have feature request - to have the -p take a directory name as a parameter and use THAT directory as the portable_data directory. Of course lack of the parameter can still default to the same portable_data directory.
If you just want to divert the portable_data to a fixed location, e.g. a NAS, then you can do this using a link. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link for details.

If you want to have multiple separate portable_data locations the way to do this would be using profiles. Having said that, it isn't currently possible to specify a profile name as a command line parameter, though I think there is a fearture request in for this.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Run XBMC with the -p argument

JR

How do you do that?
hendoben Wrote:How do you do that?

Right click the icon you use to start XBMC and on the shortcut menu choose Properties. In the "Target" field you'll have something like:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

Click at the end of the text and type in the -p so you have:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -p

and click OK. Note that the -p goes outside the quotes. If you want to turn off portable mode just go back into the icon properties and remove the -p again.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Portable Mode of Dharma?0