new appleTV today!
This is pretty disappointing, it doesnt sound like it is any significant improvement over the current ATV, and in terms of XBMC with crystalHD the current one is better.

Now I continue the waiting game for the 1080p media player that gets hacked to run XBMC.

Or a normal shaped version of the Boxee box.
akg4y Wrote:Or a normal shaped version of the Boxee box.

lol it is small Big GrinBig Grin
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Stupid question time....

Is the OLD version being killed outright?
I believe the old version is being discontinued... If you look at the Apple Store, it's only available in the Clearance section...

(Deciding whether or not to get another Apple TV - the "legacy" one...)
bah. no app store? thats a dealbreaker for me. had it atleast had that it could have been used with airvideo.
I can list a couple of ways the new box appears to be superior to the old box;

Size
Power Draw - anyone notice the spec showing a 6W power supply? Nice!
Heat (being a function of power of course)

We all know how much extra performance we can squeeze out of the box by running Linux instead of Apple OS... I definitely wonder if this has the horsepower to pump out 1080p running Linux.

So really we'll have to wait a little bit before we find out how useful this thing really can be.

If we can install Linux / XBMC on it someday then this instantly becomes the XBMC box of choice. Small, quiet, cool, efficient, HD, for $99? I think so!
how would you connect a hard drive to it though?
Anyone know if this will stream from smb? I looked around briefly, but didn't see a definitive answer.

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
krish_2k4 Wrote:how would you connect a hard drive to it though?

Looks like it still has USB for "service" at the back. Live boot via USB if no internal options.
1oser Wrote:I believe the old version is being discontinued... If you look at the Apple Store, it's only available in the Clearance section...

(Deciding whether or not to get another Apple TV - the "legacy" one...)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and adding it to my Ebay searches. I got my first one NEW/sealed for $ 175 from a local Ebay seller.

The trouble is that once the Apple Store supply runs dry, we are probably going to see the Ebay prices for legacy models get jacked up for a time. No

Edit...

Wow.. Apple Canada's website is already updated for the NEW version showing a Canadian retail of $ 119 and I can find virtually NO mention of the previous version at all!! Even the clearance section only shows refurb iPods and Macs.
brock_gonad Wrote:Looks like it still has USB for "service" at the back. Live boot via USB if no internal options.

Yes... just a smaller microUSB underneath the HDMI port.

Geez, it is so freaking TINY !! It really is like a Hockey Puck.
CanadaPhil Wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and adding it to my Ebay searches. I got my first one NEW/sealed for $ 175 from a local Ebay seller.

The trouble is that once the Apple Store supply runs dry, we are probably going to see the Ebay prices for legacy models get jacked up for a time. No

Edit...

Wow.. Apple Canada's website is already updated for the NEW version showing a Canadian retail of $ 119 and I can find virtually NO mention of the previous version at all!! Even the clearance section only shows refurb iPods and Macs.

I agree about jacking up the prices...

I'll say this though... checking out eBay right now... the 40GBs are going for about $60-$85 shipped, while the 160GBs are going for $120-$130 shipped (Continental US)...

It's tempting... (and probably the best time to buy...)
krish_2k4 Wrote:how would you connect a hard drive to it though?

Via a MicroUSB adapter Smile
i wana see this done, £99 is worth it if i can have xbmc on there!

i'll even upgrade to 2TB and dump a crap load of tv shows so i can park my arse on the couch and become a slob!
Doing some further reading since my post earlier... there's basically zilch progress on Linux booting on A4 processor since iPad has been out. Not even anyone really trying as far as I can see because of the technical roadblocks (lack of CPU and GPU documentation chief amongst them).

This is looking less interesting to me now. Such is the price of "cheap" hardware Stare

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new appleTV today!0