new appleTV today!
brock_gonad Wrote:Doing some further reading since my post earlier... there's basically zilch progress on Linux booting on A4 processor since iPad has been out. Not even anyone really trying as far as I can see because of the technical roadblocks (lack of CPU and GPU documentation chief amongst them).

This is looking less interesting to me now. Such is the price of "cheap" hardware Stare

looks like apple were clever in having streaming media only for ATV.

would the old ATV still work? and are there any limitations?
brock_gonad Wrote:Doing some further reading since my post earlier... there's basically zilch progress on Linux booting on A4 processor since iPad has been out. Not even anyone really trying as far as I can see because of the technical roadblocks (lack of CPU and GPU documentation chief amongst them).

This is looking less interesting to me now. Such is the price of "cheap" hardware Stare
Oh... i got quite excited for a while there.. Hopefully the new ATV will increase the chances of more work being done on the A4.. Realisticly the ipad was never going to be a great device for xbmc, however the ATV has xbmc written all over it!
Man I was excited when my buddy messaged me about a new Atv out. After I read the specs its really a polished up version of the old one with a couple of differences.

ONLY 720p?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow...... Did they not notice all the streamers in the last year support 1080p? No
its a 99$ streaming device you can ducktape behind your tv never to be seen again. Its got the size of a hockeypuck. What did you expect? that it would cook to?

Whats dissapointing to me is the lack of an app store, even if it may be running some weird iOS. Looks just they just shrunk the current model and gave it a few more features, and while some of them cool, its just not enuff for meto get excited.
RckStr Wrote:its a 99$ streaming device you can ducktape behind your tv never to be seen again. Its got the size of a hockeypuck. What did you expect? that it would cook to?

Whats dissapointing to me is the lack of an app store, even if it may be running some weird iOS. Looks just they just shrunk the current model and gave it a few more features, and while some of them cool, its just not enuff for meto get excited.

We aren't looking for it to do everything, but comparing JUST the video resolution it falls way short. The first Atv came out in 2006 and this is the same specs pretty much. For media/videos it supports.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:We aren't looking for it to do everything, but comparing JUST the video resolution it falls way short. The first Atv came out in 2006 and this is the same specs pretty much. For media/videos it supports.

yep, iTunes specs they are Smile
davilla Wrote:yep, iTunes specs they are Smile

For sure, but are you implying that if hacked its going to play 1080p .MKV's?
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:For sure, but are you implying that if hacked its going to play 1080p .MKV's?

We will not know until the A4 gets hacked. So far, iPad, iPhone, etc, nothing running the A4 has been hacked.

Oh, and I will be getting one.
davilla Wrote:We will not know until the A4 gets hacked. So far, iPad, iPhone, etc, nothing running the A4 has been hacked.

Oh, and I will be getting one.

Thanks for the info.
Thanks, davilla.

Having weighed the pros and cons of todays information, I'm choosing to remain optimistic for the time being.

I agree with brock_gonad's (who also gets my vote for username of the year) opinion that "if we can install Linux / XBMC on it someday then this instantly becomes the XBMC box of choice."

Here's to that.

And to those that are disappointed that the UI looks similar, if not the same, I'm convinced the addition of the A4 means regular users are likely in store for more regular and feature-rich updates. Isn't this Apple's way?
So in reality, the "new" ATV is really just a "souped" up iPhone with an HDMI port?

I just picked up another "legacy" 160GB ATV from a Canadian Ebay seller for use in my Master Bedroom before the "old" versions maybe get a little hard to come by at a cheap price.

I think the current ATV makes a perfect XBMC media server platform...draws about 1/3 the power of an oldschool lightbulb and is practically silent. Its worth every penny.
garyi Wrote:I am also struggling to see the point of streaming a movie from your ipad to the appletv, unless your mate has an appletv and you have a movie on your ipad, its going to be marginal at best.

It will be from any iOS device. So, you'll be able to come into the room with your iPhone, iPod Touch and seamlessly start a slideshow of pictures or a personal video you took. The same slideshow from an iPad also. This is huge. As far as the movie goes, that is not so obvious. I guess people who travel and start watching something might like to finish it on the TV. Don't really know. The way the iOS devices will interact with the new ATV via AirPlay is a big enough reason to convince me to get one.

philip
i wonder what it would take to port the software on the new device over to the old device. current interface looks exactly the same with the addition of netflix.
There are some Arm Cortex based media players that can play 1080p, so I remain optimistic. It may be that the 720p cap was imposed to ensure streaming works fluidly, rather than due to hardware limitations. Of course, it depends on the clock speed as well, but I don't see why would apple downclock the processor (unless it costs significantly less, say if they are using substandard chips that did not go into iphones).

In any case I am glad Mr Davilla is getting one, and I keep my fingers crossed someone gets xbmc onto it, and then we shall see what horsepower does this thing trully have!
Obviously feeling a need to respond given that the new ATV announcments have been made, Boxee has set the price of its BOXEE BOX at $ 199 with shipping dates beginning November.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/16628/boxe..._apple_tv/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new appleTV today!0