new appleTV today!
No way it will do 1080p. It will do some 720p (iTunes profile) and that is it. Pretty much identical to the current ATV.

Remember: the current ATV can only do 1080p with the aid of the crystalhd decoder board. My guess is it is extremely unlikely that the new ATV will have a similar slot in it.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Apples A4 Processor is just a slight modification on the Samsung S5PC110, and the S5PC110 can do 1080p decoding and encoding.
There is some suggestion that the A4 in the iphone can do 1080p, exactly which encoding profiles and levels remains to be seem. As everyone should know, 1080p covers encoding formats and many, many different profiles and levels. Some of which are to spec and others that are just plain silly and stupid.

Can the new AppleTV do the same? Unknown at this point, I bet even A4's can be tweaked for purpose and function. So far this is all idle speculation as no one has one of the new AppleTVs nor has any work been done to get anything running under it. And once running that's just the tip of the iceberg. For there to be any use, hardware video decode must be cracked. Just because it might be a Arm Cortex A8 does not mean that it's anything like the other arm A8 chips. It just means that the CPU is Arm Cortex A8. There about a 1/2 dozen "other" things that might be present alongside the A8. The GPU and hardware acceleration chip are unknown.

This is NOT just a code to the API, compile and run situation like the tegra2, there is NO API. So all everything has to be figured out by hand using trial and error. This is not a simple process, why even gaining control could take months of hard work and effort. So while interesting and does have potential, there zero change that anything will be seen for several months if at all.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:For sure, but are you implying that if hacked its going to play 1080p .MKV's?

this is really the only thing I care about - I just cant stand the fact that everything has gone from xvid divx .avi and such to .mkv a format that is not supported by most all players - this is just stupid but it allows for subtitles and that is good but everything that is for download on bittorrent is .mkv if its in HD and nothing supports this other then a computer - I cant play these on my xbox 360 or PS3, or my TV (newer Samsung LCD's can play some 720p mkv files but 1080p studders)

so its useless to me until the xbmc folks get on this for my 360 - if htis works for the new apple tv I am getting 3 of these and hacking it to do this exact thing
leftkidney Wrote:this is really the only thing I care about - I just cant stand the fact that everything has gone from xvid divx .avi and such to .mkv a format that is not supported by most all players - this is just stupid but it allows for subtitles and that is good but everything that is for download on bittorrent is .mkv if its in HD and nothing supports this other then a computer - I cant play these on my xbox 360 or PS3, or my TV (newer Samsung LCD's can play some 720p mkv files but 1080p studders)

so its useless to me until the xbmc folks get on this for my 360 - if htis works for the new apple tv I am getting 3 of these and hacking it to do this exact thing

You can easily convert mkv's to play on the PS3 using mkv2vob (although it is a Windows only tool).
snowdrift Wrote:You can easily convert mkv's to play on the PS3 using mkv2vob (although it is a Windows only tool).

yea but you need a powerful computer to do this on the fly - and also if you want to transcode it or whatever
leftkidney Wrote:yea but you need a powerful computer to do this on the fly - and also if you want to transcode it or whatever

I'm trying not to threadjack here, but not really. The PS3 is more than capable of playing 1080p H.264 so why transcode? AFAIK, you're just essentially changing the container format which should take should take less than an hour on a fairly modern machine. Although I guess if you're doing it to save space then, yes, that will take time to transcode to a lower quality format.
I just hope support for the now "legacy" atv won't be dropped like with the xbox?
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
I don't see why so many XBMC fans are so negative about the new AppleTV.

I doesn't matter that the new AppleTV won't run XBMC, it can still be a great benefit to the community.

These AppleTVs provide basically NO overlap with a XBMC box. Sure the new Apple TV can't play a mkv rip. But XBMC (especially Live) can't use Netflix or play DRM iTunes content.

To me these AppleTV are perfect companion boxes to XBMC boxes like Revos. Everything they are bad at XBMC does well, everything XBMC is bad at it does well.

In fact, next time someone tries to create some monster on the Hardware Forum that does Netflix, iTunes and XBMC (in a terrible non-WAF friendly way), I will suggest they just get a Revo and an Apple TV for the price instead.

Everyone is too obsessed with having one box do everything. Multiple dedicated boxes are good to have.

Not when you wife calls u to explain to her, how she can listen to music then switch to watching a movie Smile
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
I guess my needs are a little different and I'm hoping someone smarter than I may shed some light on this.

I have a new generation mac mini running XBMC for my HTPC. 2tb of storage for movies and 750gb for music. Most of my movies are encoded in .mkv with the x264 encoder.
What I would like to be able to do is stream movies and music into three other rooms from the mini to the new apple tv. Anyone know is this may be possible?

Thanks
djliquidsteele Wrote:I guess my needs are a little different and I'm hoping someone smarter than I may shed some light on this.

I have a new generation mac mini running XBMC for my HTPC. 2tb of storage for movies and 750gb for music. Most of my movies are encoded in .mkv with the x264 encoder.
What I would like to be able to do is stream movies and music into three other rooms from the mini to the new apple tv. Anyone know is this may be possible?

Thanks

Yes, transcode your content into iTunes in a format suitable for the new AppleTV. Seriously, these new AppleTV have not even shipped yet and you want advice on how to use one, come on Smile
The new AppleTV didn't surprise me at all, it's a better conduit to pay as you go TV/Movies. That's exactly what the product was supposed to be.

All though I hadn't thought of the idea of an app store for it, that's a great idea.
snowdrift Wrote:I'm trying not to threadjack here, but not really. The PS3 is more than capable of playing 1080p H.264 so why transcode? AFAIK, you're just essentially changing the container format which should take should take less than an hour on a fairly modern machine. Although I guess if you're doing it to save space then, yes, that will take time to transcode to a lower quality format.

no .mkv support as far as I can tell on the ps3
leftkidney Wrote:no .mkv support as far as I can tell on the ps3

Huh? I told you several messages back how to convert mkv's into a format that can be played on the PS3. Rolleyes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new appleTV today!0