new appleTV today!
Exclamation 
1oser Wrote:I agree about jacking up the prices...

I'll say this though... checking out eBay right now... the 40GBs are going for about $60-$85 shipped, while the 160GBs are going for $120-$130 shipped (Continental US)...

It's tempting... (and probably the best time to buy...)

poofyhairguy Wrote:I don't see why so many XBMC fans are so negative about the new AppleTV.

I doesn't matter that the new AppleTV won't run XBMC, it can still be a great benefit to the community.

These AppleTVs provide basically NO overlap with a XBMC box. Sure the new Apple TV can't play a mkv rip. But XBMC (especially Live) can't use Netflix or play DRM iTunes content.

To me these AppleTV are perfect companion boxes to XBMC boxes like Revos. Everything they are bad at XBMC does well, everything XBMC is bad at it does well.

In fact, next time someone tries to create some monster on the Hardware Forum that does Netflix, iTunes and XBMC (in a terrible non-WAF friendly way), I will suggest they just get a Revo and an Apple TV for the price instead.

Everyone is too obsessed with having one box do everything. Multiple dedicated boxes are good to have.

I think the debates are interesting Smile
snowdrift Wrote:Huh? I told you several messages back how to convert mkv's into a format that can be played on the PS3. Rolleyes

yea I saw that but I have tried to do this in the past and never gotten it to work - I was using mkv merge and a demuxer - some directions on some forums that everyone claimed worked but the resulting file I ended up with didnt play and no one could tell me why

so what program did you say to use
Ilia Wrote:Not when you wife calls u to explain to her, how she can listen to music then switch to watching a movie Smile

That is why you buy a Harmony.

poofyhairguy Wrote:That is why you buy a Harmony.

My harmony remotes were the best things I've purchased for the home theater and bedroom. I don't get that call anymore. Even guests can figure it out... they usually ask first, then I just say "read the front of the remote."

The new ATV has all of the disadvantages of the old one, except it costs less, takes up less space, and supports netflix (so does everything else). I bought the first ATV because I could put XBMC/boxee on it. The iTunes content is overpriced and limited. I think since I've owned it we've rented 2 movies (that's 2 years ago). It works great if you understand and live with the limitations (I say the same about any other iOS device...) I can't live with the limitations... so it's not for me Smile

Fortunately for apple, a lot of people live happily in their little iTunes world. Which is what the atv is for.
I suppose one way you can look at it is this: XBMC for Beagle Board is in the works (albeit a sort of one-man project) to run XBMC on an ARM core. The problem there is overcoming the CPU limitations to display the menus. That's one of the foundations to getting XBMC running on the new ATV.

Then all that's needed is to unlock the hardware decoder, the BIOS, hack into the (limited) onboard storage, and for someone to buy me an HDMI TV... Easy!

(I broke my arm, so I'm on massive painkillers that are making me very amusing, but only really in my head.)
defiler Wrote:I suppose one way you can look at it is this: XBMC for Beagle Board is in the works...

Man, you killed it!
defiler Wrote:...Then all that's needed is to unlock the hardware decoder, the BIOS, hack into the (limited) onboard storage, and for someone to buy me an HDMI TV... Easy!

That was sarcasm? It can be hard to tell without the voice inflections and facial expressions.
Neil Wrote:That was sarcasm? It can be hard to tell without the voice inflections and facial expressions.

Yep - sarcasm. I don't expect any of it to be easy - even getting the GUI running on the Beagle Board will take some effort, and that's an open platform, designed for embedded computing applications like this.

All the rest of the stuff involves fighting Apple's proprietary protection, just like trying to develop Rockbox for late-model iPods. Instead of just being a tight programming job, it becomes a fight against deliberate roadblocks...

In all seriousness, though, you're welcome to get me an HDMI TV - looking for an LCD >40", 1080p to pop on the wall!
Some progress was made in that area the Beagleboard has a usable GUI at 720p though this requires a special skin under XBMC and can handle SD video.
Starstream Wrote:Some progress was made in that area the Beagleboard has a usable GUI at 720p though this requires a special skin under XBMC and can handle SD video.

Ah, excellent! I'm a big fan of the ARM core since I first played with one in 1987. Brilliant chip for hand-coded assembly! Besides, an XBMC that draws bugger-all power at idle is a rather attractive proposition, especially if it could be hooked to an HD decoder like the CrystalHD.

Of course, I have no idea if it's more realistic to have HD XBMC on the new ATV, or to have it on a Beagle Board-style arrangement with an HD decoder card. Maybe neither. Could be interesting finding out though! A kit-build XBMC. Hmmm....
Any new news about the nex iTV?
Gr1f1S Wrote:Any new news about the nex iTV?

No.
There are some rumors that the new apple TV will eventually support a app store:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/17/jobs...-is-right/

I'm wondering if this may further the discussion of XBMC as an IOS app? There is currently a similar discussion for the iPad:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...app&page=8

Although it would be cool for the iPad, I think it would be way more useful as Apple TV app. If it looks like Apple would never accept an app as useful as XBMC .... Maybe a app for a jail broken Apple TV?
If an app were created to run on iOS it would work on iPad/iPhone and aTV. This is based on the idea that frontrow is now merely an app under iOS. To get a custom app on the AppleTV that would not get past the App Store (that is if apple even opened aTV up to the app store), we would need an exploit.

But devs don't want to port to iOS. And for the moment, I don't blame them.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If an app were created to run on iOS it would work on iPad/iPhone and aTV. This is based on the idea that frontrow is now merely an app under iOS. To get a custom app on the AppleTV that would not get past the App Store (that is if apple even opened aTV up to the app store), we would need an exploit.

But devs don't want to port to iOS. And for the moment, I don't blame them.

But VLC is now available in the Appstore for the ipad. Perhaps xbmc could follow?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new appleTV today!0