new appleTV today!
Apple just released new appleTV, which is 4 times smaller than the 1st generation one.

plays HD, Netflix, no storage and so on.

Apple TV (2010) first look / hands-on!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/apple...-hands-on/

>>>>>>>>>>>

XBMC - hope will work on it!
The interface is not going to threaten XBMC thats for sure.

Rent everything! Its only money!

Would be interesting to see what hardware is inside, he is pushing the HD thing. My stream is breaking down though.

I am also struggling to see the point of streaming a movie from your ipad to the appletv, unless your mate has an appletv and you have a movie on your ipad, its going to be marginal at best.
Surprised to see that it's the same old interface.
Was expecting something more iPhone like. For $99 its probably worth checking out.

So.. should we all chip in and get one over to Davilla? :p

hmm powered by the A4 chip... wonder if it is iOS hiding under the interface...
http://store.apple.com/us/tab?node=home/...ller&tab=1
I think the biggest issue will be the internals...

My guess is that it will be an integrated board with the A4 chip, so I'm not sure if it will be possible to play 1080p content.

It looks cool though...
The million dollar question is when is Davilla going to hack it support XBMC !! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

It would be awesome to see $99 HD player that supports XBMC !!
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Without app store support or at least Pandora, Hulu, Vevo support, it's a bust. The whole product was a HUGE let down for me.

I had hoped they would introduce a full App Store section for it, and allow third parts to get cracking on it. They know it will threaten their ecosystem if I can get my TV Show for free on Hulu instead of paying $1 to watch it on iTunes.
Uses the A4 chip and Apple's specs suggest it can only support up to 720p, which is a shame. We were never able to tap into the original AppleTV's GPU for hardware acceleration so I don't think this will be any different.
Specs are up...
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Apple A4 chip.

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Doesn't even mention dolby digital 5.1 (the old one had that on movies/tv shows through iTunes).

Sounds much weaker.

EDIT: It does mention passthrough...
Only threat to XBMC, IMHO, would be when iTunes supports all media formats. I am not going to spend a year converting all my stuff.
Sure looked like a usb port was on the back.
Micro-USB (for service and support)
-> Hmm looks like it doesn't support USB external devices ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
I think the wireless lan is onboard and you cannot put in a Crystal HD. It probably runs iOS in the back some how and has some sort of small flash memory for that.
I think best we can hope for is a XBMC variant running at 720p tops.
The old Apple TV still looks like the better XBMC box to me
Its sort of a difficult position for Apple, and most logical people will see that. I have no doubt in my mind what people have been telling apple is they want to play all the stuff the 'got' from the interwebs and with apples agreements with all the big names, they simply cannot support it.

So what you get is a crippled device. A device we all know is crippled and therefore dissapointing.

I just wanted a ATV with iOS on it so I could download games and lose this shit Wii I own.

But hey ho.
They did still call it a hobby, even today.

I think they understand the use case is relatively limited due to the lack of shows and movies they ever get. It's hard to be the sole device if you only have abc/fox at a pricepoint that makes it usable. The old $2.99 show idea was a joke. And $4.99 to rent an HD movie? Yeah right... it's $1.50 at the redbox a block away.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/apple...-hands-on/
Apple TV (2010) first look / hands-on!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new appleTV today!0