[Aeon65] [Request for comments] Removing folder.jpg support
by jmarshall some days ago:

First issue: The "cached version of the poster" that is displayed first is likely the cached folder thumb. Check the Aeon skin code to see what it's doing - there'll be 2 image controls on top of each other. You should be able to get rid of it by (re)setting the poster via GetThumb.

Second issue: It is _completely_ unsupported that skins such as Aeon do this. Nor will it be supported. It relies on filesystem structure being a certain way which means it doesn't work in cases where the filesystem structure isn't that way. This is something we do not support. Skins can ofcourse choose to do it if they like, but if it breaks, too bad.

In the future we'll be looking at improving the way all images are cached (eg introducing mipmapping and the like, and/or possibly multiple sized images being cached) but it's not going to be for quite a while.

Cheers,
Jonathan

so I think there is a point to use it (at least at the moment, although that´s something xbmc doesn not support)
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
phil65 Wrote:But you would lose the possiblity to show the thumbs in full quality... i have them in full quality by using ember media manager, and i don´t want to lose that. if movie.tbn doesn´t have the full resolution (I don´t know how the caching/extracting works in xbmc) we should use another file, but we should have defintely a way to display them larger than the standard 512 x 512. DJH included this with a reason some time ago.
Given that there's a way to tweak the cache size, and poster.jpg is already cached, I can assume we can remove this one ? movie.tbn is also cached I think (not everytime, If I recall correctly)

phil65 Wrote:people who don´t want to use it won´t have that files, so it doesn´t really matter if it is included, isn´t it? they should be simply be shown in front of the cover, if you want we can do that with includes. (apart from that, i don´t think that we should work too much with includes, at least across the viewtypes.. can be very irritating sometimes and Aeon has, in Comparison to Confluence, already now 15 times more includes (50 against 750 i think)

Aeon is also much more complicated, than Confluence. I stripped a lot of line in Landscape, I suspect It could be done in a lot of view. But I aggree that sharing include between views can be dangerous Wink

One things that also irritate me, is the unneeded complexity of infopane, there's a LOT of redundant code which could be factored.
pixdamix Wrote:Given that there's a way to tweak the cache size, and poster.jpg is already cached, I can assume we can remove this one ? movie.tbn is also cached I think (not everytime, If I recall correctly)

Aeon is also much more complicated, than Confluence. I stripped a lot of line in Landscape, I suspect It could be done in a lot of view. But I aggree that sharing include between views can be dangerous Wink

One things that also irritate me, is the unneeded complexity of infopane, there's a LOT of redundant code which could be factored.

yes, I know that and I´m cleaning up code since the beginning (I think the folder size of the 720p folder is still smaller than at the time I began to mod and had much much less features)
you´re right, the infopane code can be reduced a lot (perhaps a bit of photoshop is also needed, don´t know how the showcase infopane image varies from the multiplex image) I just didn´t have the mood for that till now.

lookin a bit at over the confluence code can give a nice impression on how it should be done I think, we don´t even use constants...Oo

about the image thing again: you guys are really sure if it is cached when called by listitem.path? hard to believe, any evidence (or link)?
I also would like to know how performance is affected when increasing the cached thumb size. poster.jpg/movie.tbn whatever is only used for big cover views where only one cover is visible, the bigger cached thumbs would also be used for viewtypes with many covers visible. would have to be tested.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
phil65 Wrote:About the image thing again: you guys are really sure if it is cached when called by listitem.path? hard to believe, any evidence (or link)?

I use on my laptop a copy of my .xbmc folder from my HTPC, And I can assure you that, at least extrathumbs are cached. Ase I can see them despite being unavailable.

So I still think were safe by removing poster.jpg/folder.jpg. That's all for today. I'm going to bed, Tomorow's another day at work, Damn deadlines ;O
i invested 5 minutes to hack together a dialogvideoinfo.xml where you can choose what do display..all 3 things i tested (folder.jpg, movie.tbn, poster.jpg) look much much better than the cached thumb. strange thing is that there was first an image with 1500x1000 in the cache directory (and listitem.thumb looked the same), but after I pressed reload the cached one now looks a lot worse than the others. Here it is to play with. (image is displayed with 1000x1500, so it is cut off.)
phil65 Wrote:i invested 5 minutes to hack together a dialogvideoinfo.xml where you can choose what do display..all 3 things i tested (folder.jpg, movie.tbn, poster.jpg) look much much better than the cached thumb. strange thing is that there was first an image with 1500x1000 in the cache directory (and listitem.thumb looked the same), but after I pressed reload the cached one now looks a lot worse than the others. Here it is to play with. (image is displayed with 1000x1500, so it is cut off.)

It looks the movie.tbn gets cached anyway, once I saw it removing from the filesystem didn't make the one in dialogvideoinfo disappear... So...
I had to remove Texture.db to make it disapear, but movie.tbn/folder.jpg gets cached in a better size if I didn't screw up my tests.

One other thing that make me wanting to remove this files is that, If the cached thumb and movie.tbn/whatever.jpg differs, you see an ugly fade between the two.

Do you agree we could remove at least two of the three or at least folder.jpg which is downloaded by logo.downloader and doesn't have a poster aspect ratio ?
pixdamix Wrote:It looks the movie.tbn gets cached anyway, once I saw it removing from the filesystem didn't make the one in dialogvideoinfo disappear... So...
I had to remove Texture.db to make it disapear, but movie.tbn/folder.jpg gets cached in a better size if I didn't screw up my tests.

One other thing that make me wanting to remove this files is that, If the cached thumb and movie.tbn/whatever.jpg differs, you see an ugly fade between the two.

Do you agree we could remove at least two of the three or at least folder.jpg which is downloaded by logo.downloader and doesn't have a poster aspect ratio ?

Does it download the 16:9 thumbs? then we could use them for the non-poster views...or we remove those views completely (and integrate a banner view one day perhaps).
about the other two files, I´m not exactly sure which to keep, movie.tbn or poster.jpg.. both have advantages and disadvantages. will have to think about that.
logo-downloader can be used with skin parameter for activate / deactivate the kind of images you want to download, just check how it works, you can make it not download show thumbs.

also, we can work for custom naming if wanted, most of my code should be able to handle that.
ppic Wrote:logo-downloader can be used with skin parameter for activate / deactivate the kind of images you want to download, just check how it works, you can make it not download show thumbs.

also, we can work for custom naming if wanted, most of my code should be able to handle that.
When I talk about removing folder.jpg support, I mean where it is not useful (In list view, or in the DialogVideoInfo, Not where it could make sense (In TV Multiplex for example)
ok, no problem, just in case, now you know that the logo script is tweakable Wink
pixdamix Wrote:When I talk about removing folder.jpg support, I mean where it is not useful (In list view, or in the DialogVideoInfo, Not where it could make sense (In TV Multiplex for example)

hmm i think then we should perhaps rename the 16:9 thumbs for TV multiplex, it´s irritating to call it folder.jpg, isn´t it? ppic could change the script then.
I would have nothing against removing it completely either, I prefer to stick with the image formats the scrapers deliver.
Is it possible to use different files for views?

I have about 2 dozen xbmc boxes connected to the same filesystem. Some of the use aeon65 with the tv shows in multiplex format (which i have created folder.jpg files for those - landscape format).

With dharma, some of the boxes are moving to alaska, so I have been adding landscape.jpg, poster.jpg (actual posters) and banner.jpg.

How can we get aeon65 to use folder.jpg or landscape.jpg instead of poster.jpg now that poster.jpg exists in the filesystem?
skhosla Wrote:With dharma, some of the boxes are moving to alaska, so I have been adding landscape.jpg, poster.jpg (actual posters) and banner.jpg.

How can we get aeon65 to use folder.jpg or landscape.jpg instead of poster.jpg now that poster.jpg exists in the filesystem?
I'm interested in using landscape.jpg as well. I have posters for my shows as poster.jpg AND folder.jpg, but also landscape icons as landscape.jpg. Is support for this gonna be added, or is it a simple tweak that can be made?
will add that I think
phil65 Wrote:will add that I think
Sounds awesome. Really happy to hear this. Smile I'm slowly building my TV collection to include banner.jpg, poster.jpg and landscape.jpg for all series. But for episode and season level I'm trying to get everything landscape.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Aeon65] [Request for comments] Removing folder.jpg support0