• 10(current)
24p and audio sync issues
steelman1991 Wrote:I think you'll find that the problem is more inherent as a result of the fps being used rather than the container - anything outside of 24fps works perfectly in sync, outside of that there is a delay - mostly reported at around the 200 - 250 ms mark.

im telling you, at least on my setup with nvidia gt430, x264/h264 are perfect, its something with the container and how xbmc plays it. and as far as the 200-250ms mark, the new builds seem to be better than that. the new beta build and the audio engine build aren't off by that much, they are off to be annoying, but not grossly off like the old build was. I sync to display using video clock drop/dupe audio, maybe that helps?

I think the solution would be to reencode the avi's to h264, although once they in that container, I don't know if that will help.

EDIT: I'm willing to try reencoding an xvid to h264 and see if that makes it better if anyone can tell me what program and a simple way to do it. I just mostly look for h264 content now, but a lot is in xvid so I miss out on a lot of stuff.
I have issues with 24p content, no matter what the container! Same file in MPC@24p=Perfect Sync.

I sync with th audio clock for best audio performance in xbmc, perhaps this is my downfall.

Eden beta 1 is the wost of all the nighties I've tested in terms of audio sync issues, I've gone from the general ~200 ~250 mark that most users experience on here (there's a thread on it) to in some cases (on the same files) ~300 or more.

I've stopped complaining though as I'm pretty sure this issue is being ignored by the devs until AE arrives. Nothing will be done about this, nothing will be fixed, nothing will be updated, nothing will be changed... Not until gnif finishes AE (that's just my opinion of course, but judging by how widespread this issue actuall is, and how little interaction there is from the devs in those threads, I don't think my opinion is gonna be far off).

Xbmc is desperate for a new updated audio and video overhaul and unfortunetly we end users won't see this until 2013 (frodo) at the earliest which, quite frankly, is a huge disappointment and will leave xbmc users with a severely outdated player. No 10bit support, No HD Audio, No multithreaded support, no updated video or audio for some time to come.

I suggest just mapping 2 keys on your remote to "audio adjust +-" and manually doing it as and when you need it... that's what I have come to terms with having to do until 2013 Sad
I had this issue and got it fixed after a lot of frustration.

I had to manually make a custom resolution of 1080p@60hz in the catalyst drivers. Then change the sound to sync in xbmc to be off. Then exit xbmc, restart it and reset it to to sync to the video. Then go to the system info (I use transparency, not sure if all skins support this), and check if it now lists the system running at 1080p@60hz. If it does not, then you need to choose a different audio sync method in the xbmc settings, exit and go back in till it says 60hz. As soon as it says it's running at 60hz, the audio works perfectly.

Prior to doing this I had 24hz setup in the amd driver which it autodetected for my tv even though it can run at 60hz (probably because that is standard HD frequency), but it messes up the audio sync when this happens. Force it to 60hz and you should be good to go (assuming your TV can support 60hz)
Spinalcrack Wrote:I had this issue and got it fixed after a lot of frustration.

I had to manually make a custom resolution of 1080p@60hz in the catalyst drivers. Then change the sound to sync in xbmc to be off. Then exit xbmc, restart it and reset it to to sync to the video. Then go to the system info (I use transparency, not sure if all skins support this), and check if it now lists the system running at 1080p@60hz. If it does not, then you need to choose a different audio sync method in the xbmc settings, exit and go back in till it says 60hz. As soon as it says it's running at 60hz, the audio works perfectly.

Prior to doing this I had 24hz setup in the amd driver which it autodetected for my tv even though it can run at 60hz (probably because that is standard HD frequency), but it messes up the audio sync when this happens. Force it to 60hz and you should be good to go (assuming your TV can support 60hz)
You've put yourself through a lot of trouble - if your screen accepts 60Hz, then CCC will detect that and provide that refresh rate as an option, there is no need to make custom resolutions or force resolution rates or for that matter reset 'sync to video' (this is a standard xbmc setting). Both 50 and 60Hz work without issue (for me and I haven't seen any reported issues with them, only 24Hz), however these bring with it their own video playback problems (stuttering and pull-down issues).

Many like to view their files at the native refresh rate, but that is nigh on impossible without audio sync issues and setting delays.
steelman1991 Wrote:then CCC will detect that and provide that refresh rate as an option

This was always the case until I updated the driver recently. It then only detected it at 24hz with no 60hz option. I wouldn't have made that option if it was in the list already. Prior to doing this I had to offset the audio by -200ms for all videos but could never quite get it matched up perfectly. After this everything played smooth, without stutters or any issues.

Granted this may not be the issue others are having and wont resolve anything, but I wanted to share because it instantly fixed it for me after a few weeks of extreme frustration.
So basically this setting doesnt work? then it should be removed
also a observation.... when switch refresh rate ISNT Set i noticed videsos play at a stead 23.98 ftps if switching refreshrate is enabled it bounces between 23.95 and 23.98 now call me crazy but isnt .03 ummmm 3/100 of a second which comes out to 300ms right? its 5am so maybe i'm just tired but it make sense as for me my audio is always 200 to 300 ms too fast but its not constant it goes in and out of sync well tahts BECSAUSE the FPS is boncing! i hope i didnt make myself look stupid here
so basically nvidia wins on the audio sync issues, however from what I've heard, you can't use nvidia with mpc-hc and actually have smooth video. this is frustrating to say the least. best i can get in mpc-hc is like one jutter every 20 minutes or so. with aero, all that is elimintated it just stutters all through out the film which i understand is not an issue with ATI.

i'm reencoding an xvid movie today so tonight i can see if that fixes that issue on xbmc.

i too nice the same thing as hack_kid. while my audio stays in sync on h264. I can see the frame rate doesn't look right, it bounces around even though its not switching refresh rates when the movie starts. so I set my desktop to 24hz, actually its custom res on nvidia thats approx 23.97542. I play the movie, and there is no refresh switch so it should be on those settings, but when i look on the display, it seems its speeding things up or something.

as for the sync settings, I didn't like sync to audio clock, it seemed to produce jitter for me, drop/dupe audio seems to work the best.
i reencoded my avi that was off on sync to mkv with ripbot, sync is now perfect. its an xbmc issue.
I have tried every combination of sync to display and adjust refresh on my ati 5450 and Panasonic plasma, and audio does not stay in sync 100% of the time ever. I can't believe this has never been fixed.
StinDaWg Wrote:I have tried every combination of sync to display and adjust refresh on my ati 5450 and Panasonic plasma, and audio does not stay in sync 100% of the time ever. I can't believe this has never been fixed.

which version are you using? the latest eden seems to have a problem with sync to display, i confirmed that this evening.

video clock drop/dupe audio seems to work best. i think audio clock jitters a bit and i tried resample with my audio engine build and it was doing slow motion so something messed up there.

i can at least do h264 correctly but its amazing this hasn't been fixed yet.
I've been using the nightlies all year and now beta 1. It doesn't matter what settings I use, 23.976 or 24p content is never in sync 100% of the time.
StinDaWg Wrote:I've been using the nightlies all year and now beta 1. It doesn't matter what settings I use, 23.976 or 24p content is never in sync 100% of the time.

then that seems to be an ATI problem with xbmc, so two distinct problems here. i have no sync problems with h264 on the versions before eden, even on eden the audio is in sync, but there is a problem with sync to display on eden.

maybe the resolution isn't set right on ATI or the drivers are interfering in someway?
i solved the problem for now. use mpc-hc with madvr and reclock as audio render as external player rendering xbmc as just a GUI.

yea, i'm being a little sarcastic, but using two remotes and having playback that works beats only having x264 capability that you have to check every few minutes to see if the sync to display is actually working correctly.

and no disrespect to any of the developers, but it seems clear no one wants to fix the problem and while a possible solution has been suggested, i'm not programmer so i can't do anything about it.
robl45 Wrote:i solved the problem for now. use mpc-hc with madvr and reclock as audio render as external player rendering xbmc as just a GUI.

yea, i'm being a little sarcastic, but using two remotes and having playback that works beats only having x264 capability that you have to check every few minutes to see if the sync to display is actually working correctly.

and no disrespect to any of the developers, but it seems clear no one wants to fix the problem and while a possible solution has been suggested, i'm not programmer so i can't do anything about it.

Hey Rob,

I had real issues with sync at 24p but I have began using DDDamians beta 3 build with the AVSync fix and DanielaE HD audio patch merged.

Ive set a global delay of -80 (to allow for any processing) and an advancedsettings for 23/24hz content to be set to a specific delay (currently -125 for me)

I'm now enjoying full hd audio (dts-ma truehd etc), all the latest Eden beta 3 features and the avsync fix for 24p material.

Ymmv butt could be worth a try as it has worked for me 100%. I'm actually content now with what those guys have done as they have created a pretty much flawless XBMC HD Audio version with perfect 24p sync fix.

Give it a try it may work for you too.

If not, no harm done Smile
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121877&page=36
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24p and audio sync issues8