• 31(current)
24p and audio sync issues
I have this issue, and "fixed" it with adding 175 ms audio delay using advancedsettings.xml. But I feel it does not fix the audio sync completely, something is still off.

An observation I made while staring at codecinfo ("o" key on the keyboard):
When playing a 25.00 fps video (at 50Hz)
a/v (that is described as "Audio/video sync difference (real time)" in the docs) is stable, for example 0.032

When playing a 23.976fps file at 24Hz (video sped up by 0.1%, I use drop/dupe audio)
a/v varies a lot. It varies so fast it not possible to see actual numbers but it is 0.1xx and varies down to single digits.

Also the missed: counter is steadily going up, it never does that on 25.00fps material.

Using xbmc 12.2, Panasonic VT50 plasma, Yamaha RX-V773 Receiver, have enabled sync audio to display (using drop/dupe), and changed refresh rate to match content.
Still an issue for me, run it with 200ms delay. I tried 175 and found 200ms delay produced more accurate results.

This is an issue that is very much overdue for resolution!
(2013-05-04, 16:34)bniswe Wrote: I have this issue, and "fixed" it with adding 175 ms audio delay using advancedsettings.xml. But I feel it does not fix the audio sync completely, something is still off.
Not to be a jerk here, but your whole post is falling on deaf ears. It's been heard over and over again, as with all of my posts. No one cares here. This thread is basically dead. It started on September 2nd 2010, and still going.
Guys, audio delay is perfectly fine with today's TV interpolation methods and whatnot. TVs need a certain buffer of frames to do their image trickery. My standard audio delay for instance is 0.225 to achieve lipsynch. Press OK when playing video, open Audio and Subtitle settings and tweak the Audio Offset accordingly. Afterwards save as default for all videos at the bottom of the menu.

_Don't_ use the sync to display setting. This is a method from another era. Today you want to bitstream untouched directly via optical or HDMI, so the only feasible solution is to delay the untouched stream as mentioned above. The only setting you should choose there is the adjust display refresh rate one.

Good luck.
(2013-05-05, 11:22)cruse Wrote: Guys, audio delay is perfectly fine with today's TV interpolation methods and whatnot. TVs need a certain buffer of frames to do their image trickery. My standard audio delay for instance is 0.225 to achieve lipsynch. Press OK when playing video, open Audio and Subtitle settings and tweak the Audio Offset accordingly. Afterwards save as default for all videos at the bottom of the menu.

_Don't_ use the sync to display setting. This is a method from another era. Today you want to bitstream untouched directly via optical or HDMI, so the only feasible solution is to delay the untouched stream as mentioned above. The only setting you should choose there is the adjust display refresh rate one.

Good luck.

this is a specific issue with 24p content. applying a delay to all videos by default is not the solution.

as previously mentioned, adding the delay to advancedsettings is the best workaround right now, albeit i wouldn't call it a solution.
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but my solution to this problem is to set 2 keys in my remote control to adjust the audio timing.
Just add the following code under <FullscreenVideo> in your custom keyboard.xml - for example the pageup/pagedown keys:

Code:
<pageup>AudioDelayPlus</pageup>
<pagedown>AudioDelayMinus</pagedown>

or if you haven't got a custom keyboard.xml create one with the following code:

Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <pageup>AudioDelayPlus</pageup>
      <pagedown>AudioDelayMinus</pagedown>
    </keyboard>
   </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

and put it in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps.
Every time you reproduce 24p content you'll have to press 7 times pagedown (or pageup - can't remember right now) for the 175ms delay.

Still waiting for a permanent solution though...
(2013-05-05, 12:15)houlty Wrote: this is a specific issue with 24p content. applying a delay to all videos by default is not the solution.

Wrong, it's a prerequisite because TV sets don't differentiate between refresh rates when it comes to the buffering delay. Depending on your GPU HW you might have to adjust between different refresh rates on top, but that's more in the driver's ballpark than in XBMC's. With nVidia I Have the same default delay with all refresh rates, sorry.
(2013-05-05, 11:22)cruse Wrote: Guys, audio delay is perfectly fine with today's TV interpolation methods and whatnot. TVs need a certain buffer of frames to do their image trickery. My standard audio delay for instance is 0.225 to achieve lipsynch. Press OK when playing video, open Audio and Subtitle settings and tweak the Audio Offset accordingly. Afterwards save as default for all videos at the bottom of the menu.

Good luck.

Maybe he's joking or something and forgot the smiley face? If you bitstream, you likely will lose frames of the video at somepoint which depending on the size of the screen is very noticable. At any rate, using delay is not perfect, most of the time I've resorted to that, its better, but you can still tell like the other poster mentioned that something is off. And above all, mpc with reclock and jriver media center with their version of reclock don't have this issue.
And as I've said at least twice, the test version that was made a few months back is an improvement.
(2013-05-05, 12:54)cruse Wrote:
(2013-05-05, 12:15)houlty Wrote: this is a specific issue with 24p content. applying a delay to all videos by default is not the solution.

Wrong, it's a prerequisite because TV sets don't differentiate between refresh rates when it comes to the buffering delay. Depending on your GPU HW you might have to adjust between different refresh rates on top, but that's more in the driver's ballpark than in XBMC's. With nVidia I Have the same default delay with all refresh rates, sorry.

Wrong. This is an issue with xbmc when playing 24p content only. Please read the entire thread.
(2013-05-05, 18:17)houlty Wrote: Wrong. This is an issue with xbmc when playing 24p content only. Please read the entire thread.

Does your TV have some kind of "24p Smooth Film" setting? If yes, is it turned off?
(2013-05-05, 20:49)cruse Wrote:
(2013-05-05, 18:17)houlty Wrote: Wrong. This is an issue with xbmc when playing 24p content only. Please read the entire thread.

Does your TV have some kind of "24p Smooth Film" setting? If yes, is it turned off?

Cruse believe us. This is really xbmc software issue - read a few pages from the beginning.... It is somehow related to how xbmc change refreshrate to 24p .. As I wrote long time ago in this forum I dont have this issue ie. with Mediaportal, I dont see delay in 24p material (I am using auto refresh rate settings in Mediaportal). TV setting are the same. But I like XBMC more :-).
(2013-05-05, 20:49)cruse Wrote: Does your TV have some kind of "24p Smooth Film" setting? If yes, is it turned off?

Do you really think that someone here that cares about this issue have this "feature" turned on, or are you just trolling. Please read the thread and you will see that this issue is about 24p content only, not a general delay for processing in the TV.
Seeing that I don't experience it, also coming over from Mediaportal, I feel it might be worth to exclude any other reason, like:

- the mentioned TV postprocessing
- testing with TV rips changing offset at every commercial
- custom resolution or not
- GPU vendor/driver and other HW...

I also feel the anger is somewhat misdirected, since XBMC is piggybacking ffmpeg revisions, naturally inheriting their benefits and flaws. If it's due to the handover of media info, that's another story, but then again I don't experience it.
I just remembered what might be pretty rare with my setup. You could give it a shot and see if that helps.

Activate HPET (high precision event timer)

There's an explanation on how to verify it's active some posts below.
Thats a good suggestion, cruse. I wil try to enable HPET on my system and see if it makes a difference. Has anyone else tried it?
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24p and audio sync issues8