• 36(current)
24p and audio sync issues
(2014-03-29, 18:48)frarev Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 17:13)Lezziter Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 16:25)frarev Wrote: If a specific advanced settings for 23-24 hz movies solve your problem why don't you use it ?
I do use it, but it doesn't solve the problem. As I said, there is still something that feels "off", even if it's miles better than without any audio delay at all. I guess that is because the offset isn't constant but varies slightly, from about 175 ms to 225 ms. Setting the parameter in advancedsettings to about 175-200 ms is a good start, but it isn't as good as "real sync".

Are you using an openelec xbmc. ?
Are you using particular settings as adjust playback to display ?
I am using regular XBMC under Windows 7. I have tried with both Frodo and Gotham, DirectSound and WASAPI, the delay issue is the same.

I do use sync refresh rate to video and that is when the problems occur, just as for many other users. I have tried with different settings for sync with either video or audio clock, but none of them helps in any noticeable way. I can get what "feels" like good sync at the start of a movie, but as it plays it seems to vary a bit. The difference compared to my old system or playback with 60 Hz is noticable.
With Frodo I have to use a 250 ms delay with all 24 fps material, as many people have reported. But with Frodo it never varied from that. Every time I started playing anything that turned out to be 24 fps I would have to go into the audio menu and add a 250 ms delay so that audio was synced correctly. Now with Gotham beta 2 I have to do the same thing, however, that static delay no longer ensures that the audio/video sync will be correct.

It never varied in Frodo, but with Gotham it sometimes seems to drift on its own, or perhaps after a skip forward/backward or a pause/play it would shift. If it does drift or shift after skipping or pausing it is usually solved by skipping backward once or twice. After that it seems to put itself back into that typical 250 ms offset.
Any progress with Gotham beta 3? Still out of sync for me but I haven't tried every possible combination of vsync, real/fake fullscreen, sync playback, etc.

This is getting depressing at this point, I'm so sick of stuttering pans.
Just tested Gotham beta 3 this week-end.
I had to adjust my 250ms delay to 400ms ! (with intel HD 4600)
Tried many combinations with software/hardware decoder/renderer, with same results.
Still the same 250 ms for me with beta 3.
What is the consensus on Sync Playback to Display these days? I tried just leaving it off and running a 24fps movie and whenever I looked up to check it seemed okay.

It's hard to test these combinations because I don't want to ruin a first-watch of a movie with something that might result in drifting sync, as then I'll have to stop the movie and change settings to fix it. But I also don't want to waste hours an hours staring at movies I've already seen to see if it ever drifts.
I don't think I've seen it drift without me doing something to interrupt regular playback, actually. But the behaviour after skipping, pausing, etc. seems to change depending on I-don't-know-what. Could even be affected by the nature of the file I'm playing, but it always coincides with me pausing or skipping back.

I've done absolutely no investigating on source material vs. problem, but I'm wondering if maybe the amount of time that passes before playback goes back in sync again has to do with the amount of keyframes any given material has. Or perhaps how demanding the video decoding is at the time as it tries to catch up with the audio decoding. Or it could not even be related to those things at all. I don't really know. I only know that I've noticed that sometimes it takes a few seconds to get back in sync, versus sometimes only taking a fraction of a second, or not even being a noticeable amount of time that it's out of sync. But when it does go out of sync, it doesn't stay that way for very long after I've hit the button. It does go back in sync every time within a short period of time.

The only thing that doesn't seem to change is the 250 ms part. It's always out by that much, or rather, setting a 250 ms delay seems to put it in sync better than 225 ms or 275 ms does, if it's not exactly 250 ms.
Hello guys,

i have the same problem, i need configure delay of 250ms when i watch 24p movies.
This solve the problem, but only part of problem. The "global a/v delay feature" works fine to me, but works only in movies with HD Audio (DTS HD MA). Movies with ac3 audio (non HD) not need delay.
Is possible configure "global a/v delay" for specific audio type? I need something like this:

Code:
    <video>
        <latency>
            <delay>0</delay>
            <refresh>
                <min>23</min>
                <max>24</max>
                <delay>250</delay>
                <audiotype>dts-hd-ma,dolby-true-hd</audiotype>
            </refresh>
        </latency>
    </video>

I have so dual audio movies, the original audio is in HD, but the dubbed audio is non HD, commonly ac3. To watch the movie original, i simply play the movie, but if i want watch the dubbed, i need configure audio delay to revert delay of "global a/v delay".

The problem occur only if i use 24hz display. If i use 60hz all works fine.

Sorry for my poor english.
I don't have HD-capable audio equipment, and I still have the delay, so I don't think that quite covers everything. I have noticed that all local file content needs -250 ms, and streaming content such as youtube seems to need -550 ms. However, it is not always the same with streaming content. Most of the time it seems to be -550 ms, but I've also noticed some that needed -450 ms, and at least one that I think was -650 ms. But local files are always -250 ms.
To get around this whole 'synch' issue with 24p and 25p, I actually just cheated and used 'Custom Resolution Utility' to force add 50hz and 72hz 1360x768 resolutions to my driver. I was surprised that my Dynex TV could even do 72hz when forced but it does. And that worked around the problem rather nicely. Smile
(2014-03-05, 13:18)belongamick Wrote: Tried Gotham Beta1 last night and bug is still there.

What I have noticed is that if you:
========================
enable adjust display refresh rate to match playback
and enable Sync Playback to Display
and use A/V Sync method Audio Clock

...the lipsync issue is only present when the missed counter runaway increments (press o during playback).

The missed counter seems to always increment after pause/resume or rewind/fastforward or at the start of initial playback - but to stop it runaway incrementing I just skip back or forwards (left/right arrows key) 30 seconds. I've found for this to work you mostly have to skip back and forth a few times before the missed counter stops incrementing.

So, I think you can use the missed counter as a guide to whether the lipsync issue is occuring/going to occur shortly.

With the above settings I'm able to playback 23.976 movies with no issue with lipsync - just remembering to skip back at the start of the movie and after any pause/resume or rewind/fastforward.

Just tried 13.0 Stable Release last night and the bug appears to be fixed for me. I can now pause/resume without it resulting in lipsync issues, the missed counter starts incrementing when I pause but when I resume it stops incrementing. Cant believe it! Thank you to who ever fixed it!
Not fixed for me... Running WASAPI on Windows 7 64-bit. Still - 275ms delay need to be added. What a shame...
Yeah - what a shame that your shitty hardware does not work, but mine and belongmamick's does ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-09, 22:55)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - what a shame that your shitty hardware does not work, but mine and belongmamick's does ...

Maybe I'm wrong, you appear to be part of the official XBMC team? Responding this way to someone who is experiencing a problem with your software doesn't seem quite right. It's no wonder this problem has been going on for so long.

Stay classy.
Fritsch: another user, belonganick wrote that v. 13 fixes the audio sync issues me, and many other have been experiencing.

I immediately upgraded and was hoping to avoid having to use audio delays etc. For me the issues remain and I wrote "what a shame", because I was hoping otherwise.

I did not mean to offend anyone involved in the development of XBMC.

I haven't paid/donated a single cent for xbmc and if you are a part of the official xbmc team, I probably never will.

The issue still remains, I think it's natural that people get frustrated.

How can I help resolve this?

I'm not on "shitty" hardware as you write. And to be honest, you don't know what hardware I'm running, yet.

I'm on a i3 with hd4000, Intel main board, 8gb ram and a brand new LG LA557V TV. I also use a shiny new Yamaha RX-A830 receiver. All software and bios etc upgraded and correctly configured.

@audial: Thanks for you message!
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24p and audio sync issues8