• 42(current)
24p and audio sync issues
I've tried disabling and enabling desktop composition and it appears to have no effect on my audio sync. It's great that it works on your system.
(2014-08-06, 19:20)steelman1991 Wrote: @fritsch and FernetMenta is the build provided earlier in the thread still valid for testing of this issue? If so will happily provide logs on my return from holiday on Friday.

Please try a nighly. My build is obsolte after some resent changes in wasapi sink.
Hey everyone!

Could we perhaps find a short clip with dialogue that we all can use as a reference? Preferably something that is free to use...

Is that a good idea?
This is my personal selection of test files. They help me to test the audio offset of my av receiver.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hbuksjjwvvxy4...jN83nOV_9a
Didn't read the entire 42 pages; but when I was looking for my new HTPC, I specifically made sure it had a 'Haswell' generation CPU. Older Intel chips had a 24p bug (where 23.976 gets played as 24.000). Could be related.
(2014-05-23, 16:00)belongamick Wrote: Just in case this fixes the issue for anyone else.

I had av sync issues with 24p content for the longest time - but for me it was resolved in 13.0. BUT ONLY if I use these settings:

enable adjust display refresh rate to match playback
and enable Sync Playback to Display
and use A/V Sync method Audio Clock

I am bistreaming audio to my Yamaha AMP using wasapi.

If I disable A/V Sync then the issue comes back.

Pressing o during playback shows a missed counter which increments by 1 or 2 per hour, or if I pause it runaway increments until I resume playback.

I'm using an AMD 5450 graphics card.

FYI - the above settings which worked for me in 13.0 and 13.1 no longer work in 13.2. Back to 13.1 for me.
(2014-08-20, 21:39)belongamick Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 16:00)belongamick Wrote: Just in case this fixes the issue for anyone else.

I had av sync issues with 24p content for the longest time - but for me it was resolved in 13.0. BUT ONLY if I use these settings:

Pressing o during playback shows a missed counter which increments by 1 or 2 per hour, or if I pause it runaway increments until I resume playback.

FYI - the above settings which worked for me in 13.0 and 13.1 no longer work in 13.2. Back to 13.1 for me.

Are you testing the same content? I went through a week or two where I thought the issue was absent, but then I found some new content that was not. Turns out, the few movies and TV shows I had tried were in sync while others were not.
(2014-08-21, 08:34)Warner306 Wrote:
(2014-08-20, 21:39)belongamick Wrote:

Are you testing the same content? I went through a week or two where I thought the issue was absent, but then I found some new content that was not. Turns out, the few movies and TV shows I had tried were in sync while others were not.

Yep, testing the same content. Something has changed as in 13.0 & 13.1 when I pause the missed counter starts to increment, and when I resume it always stops. But in 13.2 it intermittently stops incrementing after resume - which was the same behavior I saw prior to 13.0.
The <latency> parameter solves the issue in my living room but I also have a second HDMI-passthrough output on my Yamaha receiver that goes to a Samsung TV in my bedroom.

Wish I could do something like this in the advancedsettings.xml:

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <
video>
    <
latency>

<if 
outputdevice="YAMAHA RECEIVER">
        <
refresh>
          <
min>23</min>
          <
max>24</max>
          <
delay>250</delay>
        </
refresh>
        <
refresh>
          <
rate>50</rate>
          <
delay>150</delay>
        </
refresh>
      </if>

<if 
outputdevice="SAMSUNG TV">
        <
refresh>
          <
min>23</min>
          <
max>24</max>
          <
delay>0</delay>
        </
refresh>
        <
refresh>
          <
rate>50</rate>
          <
delay>0</delay>
        </
refresh>
      </if>

</
latency>
  </
video>
</
advancedsettings

Question though, would it be possible to script something like this as an add-on?
You could use a different profile for the two scenarios as each can have a different advancedsettings.xml but I agree something like that would be great, e.g. if you have a TV + projector setup with different latencies...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2010-09-02, 19:37)phillyfan1138 Wrote: Sometimes I have had this problem if the refresh rate is at 24.000 instead of 23.976. Make sure that your 24p is actually 23.976.

I noticed this today too. But not on all 23.976fps movies. Seems the audio (XBMC 13.2) is about 200ms ahead, thus rather noticable. I tried playing the same movie on my PC (instead of the same XBMC as installed on my media player). There are only 2 variables left: Ethernet vs. direct access, and monitor vs. TV. My media center can handle >50MBps easily, so it's not Ethernet. It's not fullscreen either.

I even tried encoding the audio to LPCM, thinking it would make things easier for XBMC. It didn't.

I don't have the 24p bug, btw.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the movie syncs just fine on my desktop XBMC.
(2014-09-14, 16:44)meimeiriver Wrote:
(2010-09-02, 19:37)phillyfan1138 Wrote: Sometimes I have had this problem if the refresh rate is at 24.000 instead of 23.976. Make sure that your 24p is actually 23.976.

I noticed this today too. But not on all 23.976fps movies. Seems the audio (XBMC 13.2) is about 200ms ahead, thus rather noticable. I tried playing the same movie on my PC (instead of the same XBMC as installed on my media player). There are only 2 variables left: Ethernet vs. direct access, and monitor vs. TV. My media center can handle >50MBps easily, so it's not Ethernet. It's not fullscreen either.

I even tried encoding the audio to LPCM, thinking it would make things easier for XBMC. It didn't.

I'm not an expert, but I think it is the TV's fault for not reporting the refresh rate correctly. That's not a fact but a strong suspicion. Some computer hardware may be better or worse at dealing with this. But I've tried three different configurations of hardware on the same TV and wound up with the same result.

Adding Reclock to DS Player or MPC-HC seems to work the best in all circumstances. But, even then, some content is still slightly out-of-sync. In the end, I went back to 60p playback after seeing 24p judder, artifacts and other tradeoffs that negate the small advantage of a native frame rate. I would prefer 24p playback. But even when it works, it still far from perfect in the home theatre environment.
(2014-09-14, 21:40)Warner306 Wrote:
(2014-09-14, 16:44)meimeiriver Wrote:

I'm not an expert, but I think it is the TV's fault for not reporting the refresh rate correctly. That's not a fact but a strong suspicion. Some computer hardware may be better or worse at dealing with this. But I've tried three different configurations of hardware on the same TV and wound up with the same result.

Adding Reclock to DS Player or MPC-HC seems to work the best in all circumstances. But, even then, some content is still slightly out-of-sync. In the end, I went back to 60p playback after seeing 24p judder, artifacts and other tradeoffs that negate the small advantage of a native frame rate. I would prefer 24p playback. But even when it works, it still far from perfect in the home theatre environment.

Yeah. Except that I'm neither syncing my TV to my playback, nor vice versa. So my TV framerate shouldn't matter really, right?

Funny thing is, I have Blu-Rays that are like 40MBps, and stream 100% perfectly. Then I got x264 encoded material (from upscaled DVD's I made, for example) that are still low-ish on bitrate (like 10MBps or so) that are the ones that get out of sync sometimes. But, before ppl think, no, it's not the re-encoding I do, as a I reencoded a great many of my Blu-Rays (with x264, mostly for post-processing, like temporal denoising), and they all work flawlessly. Strange as it may sound (pun intended), it seems the lower the video bitrate, the more audio sync issues you can expect. Maybe it's a variable bitrate issue somehow (where the variances are huge).

But, like I said, this does not occur on my desktop PC: only the XBMC of my media center Zbox (over 1G wired Ethernet). So, maybe it's the TV (Sony BRAVA, Full-HD), after all.
As a lot of users, i also had a lip-sync problem with 24p and XBMC.

Mine was simply resolved by using the Settings/Video/Playback/Pause during refresh rate frequency change option.

Once i set this (2 sec for me), no more A/V delay! Magic!
Do you have an AMD video card? The delay does nothing for me and my NVidia card. Well, other than inserting the delay I need to account for the time it takes my TV to change modes. But the delay does nothing for me beyond that. It never makes any difference for me concerning this issue, no matter how long I set it for.
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24p and audio sync issues8