Can't get into Shell/Command line XBMC Live Dharma
kurai Wrote:See my edit at http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=598...stcount=10

Maybe that would help.

Worked like a charm, thank you so much, now that the devs know the cause of this problem I am sure in their next update it would be fixed.
Unfortunately I can't get around this bug.
Without network connection it's impossible to blind type anything... (and without terminal I can't compile and install network driver)

Team XBMC Please fix this for next Dharma release Sad
ezechiel1917 Wrote:Unfortunately I can't get around this bug.
Without network connection it's impossible to blind type anything... (and without terminal I can't compile and install network driver)

Team XBMC Please fix this for next Dharma release Sad
You can edit the grub configuration for a one time boot up. Look at your grub boot screen, there's an edit option. If you hit a key before the timer runs out, the timer will stop.

You'll need to edit the following two lines to match a resolution that your display is capable of handling:

GRUB_GFXMODE=<horiz.res>x<vert.res>@16 or 24
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=<horiz.res>x<vert.res>@16 or 24

The horiz.res and vert.res should be resolution numbers supported by your display, omit the <> when actually editing the file. The color depth should be either 16 or 24, not both.

For example, my HDTV is a 720p set, so there are 1280 horizontal lines of resolution and 720. Therefore, grub statements are as follows:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x720@24
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x720@24

Once you complete the grub edit, press ctrl+x to continue booting. Once your computer has fully booted you should be able to get to a terminal screen with ctrl+alt+<F1-F6> and edit any files you need to. If you are using a Live thumbdrive, you can also edit the GFX lines /live/image/boot/grub/grub.cfg to match those you used when booting in order to make the changes persistent. If you are working on a full install then you'll need to edit /etc/default/grub and perform:

Code:
sudo update-grub
I have the same issue - a blank screen when I attempt to exit to the command line and get to a terminal window. I'd read about this fix, but am NOT sure what resolution I should be setting it for. I am currently using a CRT PC monitor for setup (and to learn as much as I can about the system before I move it into the lounge).

Using the front xbmc menu and the info button shows the resolution set at [email protected]. Is this the resolution I should use in the grub file?

My grub file has a lot of different resolutions. Should I keep them? The 2nd line says

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep.

What does this mean? Thx
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
pumkinut Wrote:You can edit the grub configuration for a one time boot up. Look at your grub boot screen, there's an edit option. If you hit a key before the timer runs out, the timer will stop.

You'll need to edit the following two lines to match a resolution that your display is capable of handling:

GRUB_GFXMODE=<horiz.res>x<vert.res>@16 or 24
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=<horiz.res>x<vert.res>@16 or 24

The horiz.res and vert.res should be resolution numbers supported by your display, omit the <> when actually editing the file. The color depth should be either 16 or 24, not both.

For example, my HDTV is a 720p set, so there are 1280 horizontal lines of resolution and 720. Therefore, grub statements are as follows:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x720@24
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x720@24

Once you complete the grub edit, press ctrl+x to continue booting. Once your computer has fully booted you should be able to get to a terminal screen with ctrl+alt+<F1-F6> and edit any files you need to. If you are using a Live thumbdrive, you can also edit the GFX lines /live/image/boot/grub/grub.cfg to match those you used when booting in order to make the changes persistent. If you are working on a full install then you'll need to edit /etc/default/grub and perform:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Thanks for such a detailed guide, the thing is I can be hitting keys like crazy during boot but I'm not getting grub screen so can't edit grub options (it just boots straight to xbmc live with xbmc logo) - in camelot there was 3s timer where I could hit any key, but I don't see anything like it during Dharma boot Sad
ezechiel1917 Wrote:Thanks for such a detailed guide, the thing is I can be hitting keys like crazy during boot but I'm not getting grub screen so can't edit grub options (it just boots straight to xbmc live with xbmc logo) - in camelot there was 3s timer where I could hit any key, but I don't see anything like it during Dharma boot Sad
You could always boot to another Linux LiveCD and mount the XMBC partition/drive and edit that way.
Has this issue been reported with a trac so it can get resolved in the dharma release?
It is not an issue with the software. It is an issue with the TV. Ubuntu runs in speciffic resolutions. When certain TVs don't support a standard resolution like the terminal, XBMC does not make changes.

You need to speak to people upstream at ubuntuforums.org. They would be the first point of contact for a hardware issue relating to resolution of your TV.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
Thanks!
It worked for me too!
(2021-02-26, 15:33)tombezlar Wrote: Thanks!
It worked for me too!

Please do not post useless thankyou's to multi-year old forum threads.
In other words, don't waste our time. We don't have much patience for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't get into Shell/Command line XBMC Live Dharma0