Match refresh rate causing some movies to play in 1080i
Using Dharma with the option to match the refresh rate to the video. Some videos cause the tv to play in 1080i @ 60Hz instead of 1080p @ 24Hz causing the video to box in.

There a way to fix this? Or at least set a filter so that if it's not a multiple of 24 that it doesn't attempt to switch from 1080p @ 60Hz.
Have you checked the media info of the files concerned to see what video information is stored. Also post a debug log and if possible the media info - see here how to report a problem http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Sorry, thought it was a straight forward question, here is a log with an example. The problem is some movies were recorded at an incorrect framerate (usually 25 or 30 instead of 24) and from the XBMC log it shows that XBMC thinks these movies are PAL which they are not. I'm pretty sure I currently don't and won't have any PAL movies so if there's a way to only change the refresh rate when the video is 24 FPS that would be what I'm looking for.
Did some more digging, it's not a problem with XBMC or the video, it's a problem with my ATI card.

When it's switching to 1080i @ 60Hz the ATI card is actually attempting to set it to 1080i @ 30Hz but the TV won't run at that, instead the TV puts it at 1080i @ 60Hz. Now the problem with this is the overscan, by default the overscan isn't set to 0% which causes the resolution to box in. For some odd reason there isn't a 1080i @ 60Hz option in the ATI card which means I can't change the default overscan issue.

Maybe there's someone that knows more about this issue and a fix for it?

*EDIT*
Just wanted to put some more information, originally I was running the TV in Just Scan and setting the Overscan in the CCC to 0% which caused the screen to fit (everything except 1080i @ 60Hz because of the above problem). Do I want to have it set this way or do I want the TV to be set at 16:9 and adjust the Overscan to match (won't be 0%)?
Fixed the problem, dunno which it was but I added a custom resolution in the CCC for 1080i @ 60Hz and turned on auto deinterlace. No more boxing in!
I know this is a dead thread, but it still ranks highly in Google for "xbmc 1080i overscan" so I figured I'd post my story and fix.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and an ATI card as well, using the Catalyst 12.6 drivers. My television is a Sony KDL-46EX700 120Hz, and the setting for Adjust display refresh rate to match video is enabled.

The issue I encountered was that any time I viewed 480p content at 29-30fps, the display mode would change to 29 or 30Hz, which ATI Catalyst treats as interlaced. My Sony TV makes matters worse by applying an overscan to anything 1080i, cropping out some of the text and buttons for the OSD menu.

Solution:

Create an "advancedsettings.xml" file in the userdata folder (%appdata%\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml) with the following content.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <adjustrefreshrate>
      <override>
        <fpsmin>29.96</fpsmin>
        <fpsmax>30.01</fpsmax>
        <refreshmin>59.0</refreshmin>
        <refreshmax>61.0</refreshmax>
      </override>
    </adjustrefreshrate>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

Now my 30fps content make use of a 60hz refresh rate, with a much sharper picture and no overscan! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Match refresh rate causing some movies to play in 1080i0