Starting a Media Center. What are the bare essentials?
^ I'd take that advice. I made the mistake of going for an all-in-one solution where all my storage was built in to the media player PC itself. I quickly outgrew it and now it's big, noisy and annoying. What I should have done from the start, was build myself a nice, small ION-based HTPC, and a great big Unraid server that sat on the network in a cupboard somewhere. That's what I'm looking at doing now but it was an expensive mistake to make!
jhsrennie Wrote:XBMC (Dharma) runs equally well on all operating systems. Use whatever OS you feel most comfortable with.JR

Once again .mkv files lag an xbox OS if you choose to have XBMC as your default dashboar, well it does for me.

jhsrennie Wrote:Yes, on any Ion based system XBMC will play .mkv files ripped from Bluray.JR

They lag on the xbox, i guess once you now how to configure the settings they don't.

jhsrennie Wrote:If (like me) you have terabytes of data then you probably want a dedicated file server that stays on 24/7. You could just turn it on whenever you want to use XBMC, but I suspect that will rapidly become a pain. Having a dedicated server is very useful as you can use it to run BitTorrent etc overnight or whenever your ISP doesn't count your Internet usage.JR

This sounds interesting what I would do is have all my movies on 1 harddrive and plug that in when i want to watch, is that what you mean?

Or am i sure as hell going to make the same mistake as >>>

lloydsmart Wrote:^ I'd take that advice. I made the mistake of going for an all-in-one solution where all my storage was built in to the media player PC itself. I quickly outgrew it and now it's big, noisy and annoying. What I should have done from the start, was build myself a nice, small ION-based HTPC, and a great big Unraid server that sat on the network in a cupboard somewhere. That's what I'm looking at doing now but it was an expensive mistake to make!

killer
We no longer support XBMC on the XBox and any comments I make about OS can be assumed to exclude the XBox. See http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/ for anything XBox related.

JR
I'm with you ThankYou good sir Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting a Media Center. What are the bare essentials?0