Gforce GT210 or GT220?
Hello i need a help with deciding if i should buy
http://net2world.se/#/gigabyte-geforce-2...e/35/89816

for 41 euro or
http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=584573

for 55 euro.
Btw do these cards fit in an Antec Fusion case?

It is for my HTPC (C2d 6550 (2.5ghz) with 2gb ram, ati x1250 now).

The gfx will mainly be used for decoding but also upscaling and hopefully some other video sharpening filters in newer xbmc versions. I'm not that into gaming but if a working ps2 emulator would come i would probably wanna be able to play a few ps2 games on my htpc.

So will gt210 be enough? I mean i dont have any problem paying the extra 14 euro but its just "if its worth it" thats bothering me.

Also would adding 2gb ram (4gb total then) help alot? Currently using windows 7 x64 but thinking about switching to xbmc live, hence the nvidia cards :p

Thanks for the help!
Big Grin 
Hey!

I bought:
http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=590822

And video is flawless as far as I can see. Running a Core i3 CPU.
Only problem is stutter in windowed mode. In true fullscreen mode everything is just peachy!
Ok, but are you using any upscaling? Also have you tried any games or just videos?
The GT220 does slightly better upscaling and deinterlacing so if it fits in your case then it could be worth the small extra cost.
ion_man Wrote:The GT220 does slightly better upscaling and deinterlacing so if it fits in your case then it could be worth the small extra cost.

Ok then i might as well buy the gt240 seeing it is like 5 euro more than 220 Tongue
kraaa Wrote:Ok then i might as well buy the gt240 seeing it is like 5 euro more than 220 Tongue

I wouldn't recommend the gt240, there is no improvement compared to the gt220 with regards to video scaling (only 3D performance for games is better) but it uses more power and generates more heat (and I remember there were some audio over hdmi issues with the gt240 in Linux, not sure if they are solved now).

The GT220 is the top-end Nvidia card for HTPC purposes, anything above that is only useful if you want to use it for gaming.

---
Ion_man: Are you saying I´m screwed with the 210 GT? I bought it on recommendation from an other user on the forum. How much of an improvement is the 220?

I haven´t seen any artifacts or signs of slow video playback. So I´m pretty satisfied but you´re saying I could do better?

Always with the upgrades....hehe Wink
The gt210 is enough for most. The advantage of the gt220 is with interlaced content, like Live Tv. If you aren't messing with PVR stuff than a gt210 is fine.

Poofyhairguy: Did this part catch your attention? "I bought it on recommendation from an other user on the forum." Wink

Did not mean that I was mad at you for recommending it or anything Smile

OK so I´m good for HD movies and alla that? Because it seems to work just fine! Was just wondering if I was not covered for all formats or if there was some speed issues.

Thank you guys for answering so quickly and generously! Much appreciated!
fudgadeliq Wrote:Ion_man: Are you saying I´m screwed with the 210 GT? I bought it on recommendation from an other user on the forum. How much of an improvement is the 220?

As poofyhairguy already said, I only said the gt220 is slightly better at de-interlacing and upscaling, but the difference isn't that great, personally I'd rather buy a passively cooled g210 than an a gt220 with fan (noise), since I hate fan-noise.

But since the OP was choosing between a fan-cooled g210 and a fan-cooled gt220, he might as well get the gt220, since both have a fan anyway.

I know there are passive gt220's, but those still require case fans to keep them cool.
No you are set.

The advantage of the GT220 is completely with de-interlacing, and that only comes in with Live TV viewing. A gt210 can play any x264 movie on the planet.

poofyhairguy Wrote:No you are set.

The advantage of the GT220 is completely with de-interlacing, and that only comes in with Live TV viewing.

Not just live TV viewing, also viewing recorded 1080i files from a HDTV tuner/cable/satellite.

But personally I can hardly tell the difference between normal deinterlacing (which the g210 does) and advanced deinterlacing (which the gt220 is capable of), I did compare them once.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gforce GT210 or GT220?0