Who scripted the new Live disc's Install Script?
First off, just let me say that I am sorry if I seem angry, but my time is worth a lot to me, and my personal time, even more so.

I do not think it was very bright to remove the part of the BASIC install script that queries the user as to WHERE to install GRUB.

Some of us have more than one OS installed and would like to retain the option to place grub on the volume with the OS it came from and continue using the bootloader that is currently on the MBR. You guys grabbing the MBR is worse than tribal mentality. In computers, it just plain is right there on the list of things not to do... right up at the top. Old distros NEVER did it, and lately you "kids" (apparently) jumping in feet first means you make some poor decisions. Not allowing boot loader installation location selection is one such poor decision.

Granted, I can now go install it wherever I want (now), and go through the pain in the ass of setting my MBR back up correctly (the way it was before you plowed through it), but it would have been really nice if the rookie that took *that* part out of the install out script had left it in.

It isn't like you guys are pressed for space or anything. Especially when that script is a short text file. I'm sorry, but that just wasn't a very bright move. That's like Microsoft level arrogance. Rofl

I'll manage my own MBR, thank you. How long would you guys last if you had taken over Windows installations and volumes like that? I have installed Linux hundreds of times, and it never writes to the MBR UNLESS that is where you tell it to. You guys took that option away, and that is a HUGE Linux NO NO. How could he have missed that? To ASSUME everyone wants their MBR trashed by your broken, edited install script. Put the query segment BACK in it. You guys are a hairs breadth away from the "Ex Lax" moniker. Pretty sad indictment for such a nice, robust 'product'.

SO... Please put it back. The re-work IS a pain, and is also not needed if you simply leave the script alone.

On a mildly related note, It would be better if squashfs left the entire boot directory out, so we could simply edit our ISO image and re-burn. That way, nobody needs to do an entire re-release because of a basic bug.
IMHO it is easy to repair a replaced mbr with a windows cd (fixmbr)
The installation and configuration of grub2 is easy as well
linuxluemmel Wrote:IMHO it is easy to repair a replaced mbr with a windows cd (fixmbr)
The installation and configuration of grub2 is easy as well
It isn't a windows MBR either. And that would NOT fix it, since it did not get installed on its volume, it would no longer boot. No, simply going back to the way folks have done it for years should cover it. That means putting the choice back in the script.
IMHO Dharma is not stable ... and I guess 99.8 % of all users do not multiboot
over the mbr.
Make a svn diff and the patch will be integrated.
linuxluemmel Wrote:Make a svn diff and the patch will be integrated.
That's pretty pathetic. Just put the script back to the way it was. There are not ANY live discs out there that TRASH the MBR, and TRASH the install script so that is guaranteed to happen. This is not a bug, it was a mistake. So whoever, in his infinite wisdom, that decided to remove it as he edited the install script, needs to PUT IT BACK. Thanks for wasting hours of my time.

I do not need to make a diff, the guy that removed it from the install script needs to put it BACK IN.
TutAmongUs Wrote:That's pretty pathetic.....

Thanks for wasting hours of my time.....

I do not need to make a diff, the guy that removed it from the install script needs to put it BACK IN.

Attitude, much?

You downloaded the FIRST BETA of a product, stuck it into an environment - and it f**ked up cos someone has made a mistake?

Maybe you should just stick to commercial off-the-shelf products, huh?
Also, XBMC is free. If you have a problem, move along.
TutAmongUs Wrote:That's pretty pathetic. Just put the script back to the way it was. There are not ANY live discs out there that TRASH the MBR, and TRASH the install script so that is guaranteed to happen. This is not a bug, it was a mistake. So whoever, in his infinite wisdom, that decided to remove it as he edited the install script, needs to PUT IT BACK. Thanks for wasting hours of my time.

Instead of acting like a prick, why don't you just fix it yourself, since you claim to be so knowledgeable? Sure, someone may have made a mistake. Instead of complaining about it, why not just make a post notifying about the issue, submit a patch, and move along with your life? You didn't pay hundreds of dollars for the software. It was free, open-source software that's worked on by some great people part time. If you have a problem with how things are done, get other software and move along.
I had enough of this.

First of all: there was NO release from our side having the possibility to install grub on a partition rather than on the MBR (by default), and that was a deliberate choice targeting those who may be puzzled by those technical questions.
It is expected that you want an appliance setup, because this is what XBMC Live is all about, and that's the main target.

Second: since we are so dumb and selfish, we do have support for the "expert mode" of the installer, allowing what you are looking for, among other things.

I'm not wasting any more time writing this post since I have wasted time enough in the past few years to come up with something like XBMC Live, you go google for the answers and if still not satisfied you can go on your own and enjoy XBMC alternatives.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who scripted the new Live disc's Install Script?0