Dharma - DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD
Hello,
the tracker says
Added support for WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) for raw bitstream output
So XBMC Dharma should support DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD bitstream output on Windows.
How do I enable it?
Other Media Centers like MediaPortal work with these formats.

Im running on Win 7 with Radeon 5570 graphics. So there are no issues on this side.

Regards
Frotza
Sorry - but WASAPi has nothing to do with HD Audio playback. This basically means that XBMC will pass flac and pcm audio streams direct to the receiver without interference by Windows.

At the moment native HD Audio support is not available in XBMC. DSPlayer branch can , thought it is in flux at the moment - being buggy and unstable.
Damn,
but thanks for your reply
I just want to make sure I understand this clearly - does this mean that with a HD Audio mkv (DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD), Dharma will indeed pass-through the audio signal (bitstream) to the receiver via HDMI, but has no native support (PCM)?

Am I correct?
^^

Dharma will NOT passthrough DTS HD it will pass DTS Core.
Dharma will NOT passthrough Dolby HD it will decode it and send it as PCM to your receiver.
Dharma will pass PCM up to 7.1 (flac) to your receiver untouched with WASAPI.
This is concerning... Previously by using passthrough I was able to get DTS HD Master from an HDMI connection on an Intel 4500HD based board. Testing with Dharma Beta 2 shows that ican indeed no longer get DTS HD MA from XBMC.

Is there a reason why Passthrough has been removed as an option? Huh

PS: My receiver display is what has been I've used for identifying what is being sent via HDMI.

Thanks.
Can't explain why you're receiver would show that, xbmc has never supported these formats, therefore it isn't something thats been removed.
Interesting...

To add a bit more detail:

Receiver: Sony STR-DA2400ES
Mobo: DG45FC (Intel FlyCreek)
Films Used: Blu Ray rips in .MKV container. Single Audio Track.

HTPC connected to Receiver by HDMI only therefore Video & Audio. The Receiver provides HDMI switching as well as HD Audio if delivered over HDMI.

XBMC 9.11 (Windows) was set to Passthrough in Audio settings with HDMI as the output device (all from memory). With these settings I got "DTS HD MSTR Audio".

XBMC Dharma Beta 1/2 (also windows) are set to Audio Output of "HDMI" and Audio Output Device is "WASAPI: SONY AVAMP (Intel® High Definition Audio HDMI) although I have tried various combinations (including DirectSound) but got nothing more than plain "DTS [3/2]" reported on the receiver.

I guess I'm now wondering if XBMC is trying to apply some processing where previous versions were able to pass through the audio untouched onto the HDMI Output. If so, could that demonstrate value in having just plain "passthrough" re-added to XBMC for Dharma? I guess I'm assuming that is what has been removed?!

BTW: XBMC is phenomenal. I have no criticisms of people's work. Just questions... Cool

PS: If there is value in more comprehensive details and debugging then I'm happy to provide this.
^^

This is weird.. I've used camelot endlessly and it never worked.. XBMC will only pass the DTS Core.. Does your receiver show the audio format input on its display?
Perhaps further input is required from the devs on this one, but from my point of view it isn't weird, just impossible. The support code isn't there and hasn't been there to bitstream HD Audio - unless using the DSPlayer branch.

'Plain Passthrough' has never been removed its been there as you describe, except its only available for standard or downgraded codec playback, not fully HD Audio compatible. Feel free to ask the expert though. There is a thread on the audio engine in the development forum - here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78289&page=11

Why not revert to 9.11, recreate the situation and present a debug in support of your claim, that way the devs will have the necessary evidence to further investigate.
For the same output as 9.11, use DirectSound, not WASAPI.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Will do. Will also record video/pictures of it in action.

I don't know ow to test the actual sound quality other than to trust the display of the receiver.

I will revert to 9.11 and post the details ASAP. Been traveling hence the delay in responding...
CrystalP Wrote:For the same output as 9.11, use DirectSound, not WASAPI.

This still results in just "DTS [3/2]" showing up on the receiver... Sad
Looks like I may be eating some humble pie... Blush

Looks like I was getting DTS-ES Mtrx instead of Master Audio. I will continue carrying out the tests but keep the pie chilled for me...

Sorry for the confusion!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma - DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD0