Mini ITX support
I'm looking to Mini ITX form factor for a variety of reasons, most being cost, passive cooling and low wattage.

What i'm completely unsure of is the availability of cases. I want to build a fileserver using mini ITX and have as many harddrive bays as possible. I also look to build a XBMC media server using mini ITX.

Now do must cases support mini ITX ? I read that mini ITX and micro ATX have the same placement holes etc and should be compatible but i'm just seeking reassurance before purchasing an expensive case that won't be suitable.

Do cases have to state they are mini ITX compatible or would them stating they are micro ATX suffice ?
Don't get Micro ATX cases. That destroys the point. Might as well just get a micro ATX mobo.

Newegg has a section for Mini ITX stuff:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...TX%20Tower

The reasons for the mini ITX isn't the form factor but for the other advantages, passive cooling (so totally quiet) and low wattage.

If i could get one that has 4 sata ports i could use the only remaining expansion slot to add another sata card to run my ever expanding array of wd cavier green h/drives. Coupled with an appropriate case suitable for at least 6 3.5inch harddrives and an ultra quiet psu i've got a very capable fileserver i can leave up 24/7 in the frontroom with no noise and as energy efficient as possible.

This got me to thinking of HTPC cases with LCD displays for a second build, again using a mini ITX with Ion (pretty similar to my Revo R3610). I could build a very capable, very quiet xbmc friendly htpc.

I know the original intent of mini itx was small form factor but in a big case the airflow would surely be better and they offer cheap, near silent PC operations with maximum expandability of harddrives. Perfect for both fileservers and htpc use.
Not sure if this case is available where you live but I'm thinking it might make a kickass NAS/fileserver:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=prod...=2&prod=43
There are two versions, one with a 300W PSU and one without. Smile
danz0l Wrote:The reasons for the mini ITX isn't the form factor but for the other advantages, passive cooling (so totally quiet) and low wattage.

Two things.

1. Successful passive cooling for a CPU is very hard to achieve. You end up trading a CPU fan for more case fans.

2. An i3 uses less watts while idle than an Atom.

minim Wrote:Not sure if this case is available where you live but I'm thinking it might make a kickass NAS/fileserver:
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=prod...=2&prod=43
There are two versions, one with a 300W PSU and one without. Smile

I looked at that case but the silentpc review was somewhat concerning regarding ambient noise. Apparently the drive bay design is flawed somewhat and after inserting the 3rd drive there is quite noticeable vibration Sad
poofyhairguy Wrote:Two things.

1. Successful passive cooling for a CPU is very hard to achieve. You end up trading a CPU fan for more case fans.

2. An i3 uses less watts while idle than an Atom.

I agree that passive CPU cooling isn't easy but its something i really want to try as ambient noise from the computer in a front room environment drives me nuts.

I think the mini ITX boards are a great way to at least look at the possibility of silent htpc and fileserver running.
danz0l Wrote:I agree that passive CPU cooling isn't easy but its something i really want to try as ambient noise from the computer in a front room environment drives me nuts.

A fanless and silent computer can only be had if you are willing to invest in water cooling.

If you can't afford that, the second quietest setup is the one with the largest fans (120mm plus). Mini ITX is more about small fans, which equals extra noise. Find a case that is all 120mm+ fans plus Mini ITX and you are set. I think Lian Li makes some.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini ITX support0