Multi-room networked HTPC
Question 
I'm planning on building a 24TB HTPC running Windows 7 Ultimate (Media Center). This will link into my existing setup using an HDMI and S/PDIF card for audio and video.

The trick to this application is that I would like to extend the HTPC for multi-room viewing and ensure that when content is paused in one location, it can be resumed in another location.

From my research it seems the easiest solution is use extenders in my remote locations, and run XBMC or other type application on the main server.

Are there any extenders that folks would recommend I use? I've looked at the Seagate and VuNow offerings but I can't tell if the pause/resume mechanism will work. Can anyone give any insight into this implementation?

Many thanks.
get yourself an RF remote preferably the monster cable remote in my signature it works from anywhere in my house and backyard.

for getting your video to each cat5/6 to HDMI wall plates is the best method.

check out my response in this thread on the subject
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post596108

-=Jason=-
Thanks for such a quick response. One thing I noted in reading the reviews of this product is that in order to use CAT5/6 option, you need 2 of those things which becomes a pricey proposition. Any ideas that may be a tad on the thriftier side?
its a bit confusing that conversation

product 5464 is $179.01 not what you need.

that guy was trying to get 8 outputs thus needing 2 units. depending on how many connections you were looking for just the $93 unit should work, but I'd ask the tech guys over at monoprice first.

but no reason you need 2 of those units to get it working thats just silly

-=Jason=-

EDIT:
here is a 4 room hdmi setup from one source
Quote:PID Qty Product Name Price Line Total
1000FT 23AWG Cat6 500MHz UTP Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), Bulk Ethernet Cable - Black $86.71 $86.71
Qty=4 6FT 28AWG High Speed HDMI Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Black $2.91 $11.64
2X6 HDMI Switch & Splitter over CAT5/CAT6 cable
This item is out of stock now.
$97.46 $97.46
Qty=4 HDMI over CAT5E / CAT6 Extender Wall Plate (Pair) - Single Port (1P) - White (Rev. 1.2) $18.42 $73.68
I would agree it's silly, but then how do you get Cat5/6 back to HDMI?
===edit===
Never mind just saw what you wrote Smile Thanks
Sentinal Wrote:I would agree it's silly, but then how do you get Cat5/6 back to HDMI?
===edit===
Never mind just saw what you wrote Smile Thanks

the hdmi wallplates have an inlet and outlet in them. they might have different way to skin the cat, that look a bit nicer, but in theory this should all work

I wish I would have had them or I run cat6 cable when I had my house built. but at the time didn't even know about any of this. at least I snuck in and ran my own 5.1 audio cable and speaker rough-ins before the drywall guys showed up

-=Jason=-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-room networked HTPC0