Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)
thanks for the link to the patch. i will look at it. it looks like it was thought to be to dangerous to implemnt in the fashion the patch suggested. i don't see how having the ablity to delete in my videos is any more dangerous then having the ability to delete in my files. again thanks for the link.
well, guys....grab a hold of build 0531 and guess what:

you can delete files directly without having to go into my files.

*huge* thank you to the xbmc devs who implemented that request.

:bowdown:
what about the ability to be able to do this on network shares?
i guess the topic really says it all... i'm not sure if this should be a feature suggestion to the xbmc team, or skinners though (yeah, i'm ignorant)

a 'delete' option on the context menu everywhere would be great... weather you're in videos, pictures, or music.

also... the present delete command seems to not like deleting folders sometimes, though sometimes it does, yet i can't figure out what's different each time... sorry i can't narrow this down.
that is not skinnable. (actually, the context menu itself is only skinnable to the point where you define a few images which make up the box and the buttons.)

the items in the context menu are hard coded into the source code. it was added by someone to movies section, but no where else as yet.

i just added file deletion to the context menu when at the "playlists" screen (its not in cvs yet), which got me thinking about this in a more general sense.

i've been considering adding a new option to the settings for all three media windows to enable deletions, defaulting to off because i think its somewhat dangerous. this way, only those users who want such a feature can enable it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
that'd be great. i didn't even consider making it optional, since i'm really the only person using my box... but it definately makes a lot of sense in a family situation.

thanks
done. each media window has an "allow file deletion" option in settings. enable it for a "delete" item in the context menu.

there is no recursive folder deletion, so a folder must be empty for it to be deleted.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
works a treat cheers will recursive ever go in for delete
Sad 
my 2 cents; recursive delete is good to have in the "my files" file-manager, but too dangerous to have in the media-sections like "my videos" and "my music" :hmm:
kraqh3d, thankyou so much... the whole dev team rocks!

this is gonna make my life so much easier, thanks again Smile
from what i can tell, the filemanager doesnt seem to support recursive delete either.

and xhack brought something to my attention. he did the initial support for deletion in movies files. he also added an action which needs to be retrofitted to support the setting, which i'll backport to the other windows.

also, it may need a little tweak to prevent the delete option from coming up in the movie database views.

** update **

i fixed the use of the delete action. now you can assign a remote or gamepad button to delete and use it instead of the context menu. (file deletion must be enabled for it to work obviously.)

i also made sure that delete doesnt work unless when at a files window (with the of movies from the database while at title view which elupus added shortly after my initial commit.)

i'll likely be making some changes on the weekend to reduce the amount of duplicated code. dont worry, it wont change any of the functionality, it'll just clean up the code.

filemanager does have recursive delete, and because there is an option to turn off setting and its off by default i though it would be fine to have recursive delete, id like it to delete at least a folder and stuff in it even if it only did one folder deep

cheers
Smile 
(britneyspairs @ july 27 2005,02:14 Wrote:id like it to delete at least a folder and stuff in it even if it only did one folder deep
er..., that doesn't make sense, if a folder-structure is five folders deep then how are you suppose to only delete the first folder and not the four folders under it?
(either there should be full recursive deletion support for folders in "my files" file-manager that got rights to or it shouldn't have any recursive deletion there at all)

anyway, recursive deletion on folders worked in the "my files" file-manager before and that again is fine only there (though better if it was disabled by default).

ps! again, i think deletion options in the media-sections "my videos", "my music" etc. is dangerous, but if there is it should be non-recursive and disabled by default.
i'm thinking of adding an "advancedsettings.xml" file to xbmc.

this will include all options/settings that are either possibly harmful, or overly trivial to include in the gui (ie the gui should be reserved for only settings that the majority of people need. imo we need to go through and reduce a lot of them and just have better defaults).

the allow deletion could go in the advancedsettings.xml (defaulted to off).

this has the benefit of freeing up 3 settings slots (one in each view) as well as making the delete that much harder for the normal user to enable.

there'll obviously still be a yes/no dialog popup, and it'll be easy enough to have a second one popup on the start of the deletion of a folder if people thing that is necessary (i don't, but i'd never use it anyway)

other settings, such as thumb switching percentage in my pictures, for which there is no gui option, and stuff such as subtitle colorings, and even custom zoom modes etc. can be added to this new settings file. these settings will not be editable from the gui at all - the file will be read-only.

i just need a good suggestion of where to place the file so that people can easily avoid overriding it when upgrading. i think the albums/ folder (which can probably be renamed to userdata/) might be a good place.

Exclamation 
(jmarshall @ july 27 2005,09:05 Wrote:i'm thinking of adding an "advancedsettings.xml" file to xbmc.
good idea, though i think those "advanced settings" should be acessable from the gui (as discussed previously in the private team-xbmc only forum). i think it would be most user-friendly that only regular/normal settings where enabled by default but via an option in the root of the settings window there should be an option for "show/hide advanced settings", ...though i think we should move that discussion to a new topic thread

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to delete files (yes I'm serious)0