• 37(current)
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker
First of all, thanks so much for your helpful reply. This clarifies a lot of my thinking and also supports my decision to start "playing" with UPnP once final Frodo is out. It appears the way to go.

Apologies for the double-post from the dev thread, but let me add this one as well here. May be insightful not only for me, but also for a broader audience looking into UPnP as the "hidden gem" you were describing. Any chance to help confirm whether my understandin below is correct?

1) The library can reside on one computer only, which serves via UPnP ("XBMC A"). "XBMC B" does not need to have an own library function (but receives everything from "XBMC A")

2) Poster and fanart caching happen only on "XBMC A". So, I save a lot of disk space on "XBMC B" as it no longer needs to cache images. However, "XBMC B" will also be a bit slower in displaying posters.

3) Library update is ONLY used on "XBMC A", everything happens automatically on "XBMC B" and I don't need to hit "update library" or "clean library"

4) Watched flags are not synced yet between "XBMC A" and "XBMC B", but this may be possible at later stage. Right now, both "XBMC A" and "XBMC B" have their own watched flags, which are not in sync.

5) If I change a poster on "XBMC A", it will automatically also change on "XBMC B". I cannot change posters on "XBMC B" with the set-up described in (1)

6) If I turn off "XBMC A", I won't see any movies in the library of "XBMC B"
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Thanks for the reply Scott.
Sorry if it's already answered somewhere in this or another thread (couldn't find it)...

I have a setup with a MySQL database shared between XBMC devices. Works fine.
Now I just added two profiles for the kids and I noticed that Watched status is not separated between the profiles - I presume they all store it in the same database table?
How can I change that? Should I create seprate advancedsettings.xml files in each profile pointing to different databases (using the name tag) to accomplish that?

EDIT: just found this thread with some sort of solution, will try it.
Can I use a mounted network drive (Z:/Movies/) instead of the SMB path?
(2012-12-28, 10:07)itchy_balls Wrote: Can I use a mounted network drive (Z:/Movies/) instead of the SMB path?

Nope. If the paths are local then it will only be playable on the one XBMC device, unless you want to mirror the images on each device.
(2012-12-28, 10:09)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-12-28, 10:07)itchy_balls Wrote: Can I use a mounted network drive (Z:/Movies/) instead of the SMB path?

Nope. If the paths are local then it will only be playable on the one XBMC device, unless you want to mirror the images on each device.

The sources are not local to the individual HTPCs, they all use the same mounted network drive on my file server for Movies and TV Shows. In essence it does the same as SMB. I just wasn't sure if the database only expects an SMB path for sources.
The only thing the MySQL DB won't like is Windows file paths with the backslash instead of a forward slash (unless that's been fixed or is even fixable). I guess try it and see.
I followed the instructions but XBMC doesnt see the xml file when I try and import it...got to rescan all 8000 eps and 400 films.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
debug log (wiki)? It might be having issues connecting to the MySQL server.
Ah I left it for half an hour and it appeared to be working, maybe it was to do with the 45mb XML file size? It's still importing at the moment on the host/server HTPC.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2012-12-26, 13:21)RonM Wrote: Sorry if it's already answered somewhere in this or another thread (couldn't find it)...

I have a setup with a MySQL database shared between XBMC devices. Works fine.
Now I just added two profiles for the kids and I noticed that Watched status is not separated between the profiles - I presume they all store it in the same database table?
How can I change that? Should I create seprate advancedsettings.xml files in each profile pointing to different databases (using the name tag) to accomplish that?

EDIT: just found this thread with some sort of solution, will try it.

It worked! :-)

Hi, I tried starting a new thread as pulling my hair out and can't get this to work, it looks like it should be so simple, if anyone could take a look at my post (all details / logs are there) and suggest anything I'd be really grateful:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1296054
After creating a shared MySQL DB for different profiles on different XBMC, one thing was still bothering me: the slow response when building the TV Shows or Movies view (selecting it from the main menu). It took about 4-5 seconds on my DualCore Atom (ION2) and 20 seconds on a RaspberryPi. So I did some more research and decided to try to change the MySQL caching settings.

MySQL runs on a Windows Server 2012 system with 16GB RAM, a few RAID0 disk arrays, and one Debian Linux VM. Everything is connected through a gigabit ethernet - so that shouldn't be an issue performance-wise.

I added the folowing parameters to the my.ini file (located in the MySQL program directory on Windows):

Code:
query-cache-type = 1

and I changed the query-cache-size parameter to:

Code:
query-cache-size = 40M

That is probably too much, but since I have plenty of RAM, I didn't bother finetuning it.

And it speeded things up quite considerable! On the Atom device the time from selecting Movies or TV Shows from the main menu until the Showcase or Bannerplex view showed on the screen, dropped to about 1 second on the Atom device and 3-4 seconds on the RaspberryPi.
(2013-01-13, 13:12)baggs1981 Wrote: Hi, I tried starting a new thread as pulling my hair out and can't get this to work, it looks like it should be so simple, if anyone could take a look at my post (all details / logs are there) and suggest anything I'd be really grateful:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1296054

I noticed in the other thread your issues are gone with the latest nightly build?
BTW, the SQL Error Code (1) showing in your log is very odd!
I have this setup on a windows home server 2011 machine and running very well. What's the best way to make a backup of the xbmc database on a set schedule?
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker1